Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV
Topic: RIP David Ogden Stiers Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 March 2018 at 7:50pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

With M.A.S.H.'s 35th Anniversary of it's last episode a few days ago, this hits home.

http://ew.com/tv/2018/03/03/david-ogden-stiers-dies-mash/?ut m_campaign=entertainmentweekly&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_m edium=social
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 March 2018 at 8:17pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Sorry to here that. 
Back to Top profile | search

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 04 March 2018 at 8:42am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

This really upset me.  I had the great opportunity to meet and spend quality time with Mr. Stiers when he was in Gainesville, FL shooting DOC HOLLYWOOD 27 years ago.  It was actually filmed about 20 miles away, but the whole production stayed in Gainesville. I was an aspiring actor in Grad School doing my Masters work.  He spent over an hour speaking to the actors and I chatted with him after.  He also had a love of classical music and conducting, which he showed by conducting PETER AND THE WOLF on campus (with a special appearance by Michael J. Fox).  I was able to go backstage and talk with him one-on-one where I discovered that he had seen a performance of THE MERCHANT OF VENICE in which I had a rather large role. He was incredibly generous with his time.  A very kindhearted, sweet and caring man who didn't have to do anything like what he did, but he did it because he wanted to do just that. His Winchester was my favorite character on MASH and it's a testament to his ability that the man shared very little in common with the part he played so well. 

The world lost a good one yesterday...

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 March 2018 at 8:46am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Great story, Matt. 

Sorry to hear of his passing. 

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 04 March 2018 at 12:41pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Surprised he was that much older than me. I thought he was one of those people who looked older than he was.

Condolences to his family and friends.

Bill Catellier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 March 2018 at 7:02pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Very sad to hear this.  I loved MASH, and Major Charles Emerson Winchester III was a favorite.  Although Iím only familiar with a handful of his other works I enjoyed them all.  

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2018 at 7:20am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Very sad news! I always enjoyed his work. 

Ted Downum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2018 at 9:15am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

A fine actor. Winchester was always a M*A*S*H favorite of mine.

I will also cite his memorable performance as Lane Meyer's dad in Better Off Dead...

"Come on, Lane. Mellow off!"

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2018 at 5:06pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I have fond memories of him from MASH as well as THE ACCIDENTAL TOURIST, and yes, believe it or not, the never-aired Justice League pilot film where he played a rather heavyset J'onn J'onzz. His role on the team was to serve as a sort of respected Professor X figure, uniting these young and directionless twenty-somethings to form something greater. The film itself was not particularly good, but he was good in it.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2018 at 10:39pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I really enjoyed his voice-over and voice work. By all accounts a great person to work with. :^(

Tim O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 12 March 2018 at 8:30am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Itís been a week since we lost David Ogden Stiers, and I have been both mourning his loss while celebrating his work on MASH.  

Casting a smart but pompous foil for Hawkeye and BJ was a great way to fill the void left by Larry Linville leaving the show.  Stiersí Charles Emerson Winchester was a worthy adversary, and sometimes reluctant ally.  But what made Stiers such a great addition was his comic timing.  His line readings were pitch perfect, and he had an appropriately withering look.

I heard the news on the radio and came home to Sundance showing episodes of MASH, and the first one that came up was ďThe Life You Save,Ē a season nine episode written by John Rappaport and Alan Alda, and directed by Alda.  It has the serious tone of later episodes that didnít appeal to me as a kid, but I appreciate them much more now.  In this episode, Charles has a brush with death and becomes obsessed with his own mortality, hovering over a recovering patient and ultimately risking his life at the front.  Itís a subtle performance where most would go hammy, and only Stiers could pull it off.

So many other good moments, but seeing that one just after his death was a poignant experience.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2018 at 3:59pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I never cared for the early MASH, mostly because I didn't like the Frank Burns character at all (or why Loretta Swit would see anything in him), I guess Larry Linville was good at acting though as I disliked his unlikable character. Come to think of it Trapper John meant nothing to me either. The Charles and B.J. years were the best! So many memorable later episodes with good acting and scripting the equal of Hill Street Blues, St. Elsewhere and Cagney & Lacey.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version