Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4
Topic: Stephen Hawking, Dead at 76 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2018 at 8:39am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Boy, I sure do hope you're being sarcastic, Robbie!

Absolutely! 

Short of an entity appearing in my studio flat, and performing tricks like turning water into wine, I don't think anything could convert me.
Back to Top profile | search

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 March 2018 at 3:09pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Just watched a PBS biography of Mr. Hawking. What an amazing and brave man. I am absolutely sure no matter how much help I got I could not go on as he did never mind stay so positive and contribute to the world. The Bible is a collection of really varied writings and has some great moments among a lot of plain weird ones, but one of the best bits could apply to Stephen Hawking... something about the keystone that is rejected by worldly builders... this life is a keystone life of note in the human species!

If there being a creation doesn't imply a creation to you at all that's okay. I sure don't imagine some bearded dude from the Sistine Chapel ceiling, nor Oprah on a cloud. I do see as being in midgaard (middle earth) where everything is half 'F'ed up, something between total random chaos or dumb luck and something that is amazingly balanced in other respects. I'm an I don't know, but I was raised with a some religious 'pollution' you might say, and too I have seen the good sides, but not in the loud mouth show off stuff, more on the community level with people acting and sowing good works (which atheists and agnostics have equally done).

Insufficient data... I just don't 100% know, possibly can't know? A smart person has to have an idea of what is unknowable as well as what they themselves don't know. (Cue music for old In Search Of with Leonard Nimoy show here) God, Bigfoot, sushi I would actually like.. hoo nose? Now cold fusion I knew was B.S. pretty quickly.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 March 2018 at 9:02am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

The whole thing sounds rather like a celestial version of Las Vegas, and altogether tacky.

-----

Which is why I always loved Monty Pyton's 'Christmas In Heaven' song from 'The Meaning of Life!'

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 March 2018 at 9:51am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

But why would we put someone to rest in the Rotunda? Who could be worthy of such an honor?

•••

Donald Trump, the sooner the better.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 March 2018 at 3:01pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Not gonna allow a website to get clicks/add $$$s so no link provided, but some Christian website editor claims Stephen Hawking was kept alive by Satan to counter Billy Graham’s gospel.

Deluded wanker. 

Edited by Robbie Parry on 19 March 2018 at 3:01pm

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 March 2018 at 8:31pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I don't think THIS woman understands the extent of Hawking's affliction.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 31 March 2018 at 4:24pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Funeral services in a church, Eddie Redmayne reads from the Bible.

Excellent way to honor the memory of an avowed atheist.

sigh

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 March 2018 at 4:31pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Yes, sighs from me, too.

My grandmother had a wonderful humanist funeral where we honoured her life. No ministers, Biblical verses or religion needed.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 April 2018 at 11:02am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

JB: "I don't think THIS woman understands the extent of Hawking's affliction."

I could only read the first two paragraphs, but it seems as if this woman felt a desperate need to express herself and her feelings and Prof. Hawking's passing was her excuse to talk about herself, with a faint acknowledgement to him.

I'd wager that if she had to spend 20 minutes with his condition, she'd be half-insane and begging to have her current situation - and that it would feel "free."

I'm not really angry quite as much as sympathetic for her. Her lot is awful, no doubt... and so bad, or ignored, that she needs to use anything to highlight her plight.

And a funeral service in a church, with Bible passages... well, they say that the funeral and sitting are for those left behind, not those who have passed. It kinda causes me discomfort to consider how many people thought, "Oh, that poor man! Now, at least, he's with Jesus."

But if it gives them comfort... great. (If they inflict it on others, THEN I got a problem.)

But talk about missing the point!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 4
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version