Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: The MOST beautiful Sue Storm ever draw... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 March 2018 at 9:49am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Contemporary with the 1960s Sue, I think Virna Lisi is a good match, combining classy and sexy:

Back to Top profile | search

Bob Harvey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 March 2018 at 10:01am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

January Jones seems like an obvious choice to me. A shame that she is probably too old to be cast in the role now.

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 March 2018 at 10:53am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

My favorite historical choice (as mentioned in a previous topic by someone else) would be Susan Oliver -

As for who drew Sue well, I would have to go with JB as the best artist for Sue (I was surprisingly not as satisfied by George Perez's version which seemed a little more generic to me), but another in-print favorite is the Kirby/Sinnott version because Sinnott's slick inks really made it work.

Edited by Robert Bradley on 18 March 2018 at 10:54am
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 March 2018 at 12:40pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

James Johnson wrote: "Reading that panel, I did not know Reed Richards was a Judo Master."

Reed only told Sue he was a judo master. And then he showed her a few moves... Tony Stark, international playboy, has got nothing on the Marvel Comics' scientific community's number one Mack Daddy. :-)

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 March 2018 at 1:25pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Casting Sue is difficult, in part, because she is New England royalty. She knows how to speak and how to hold a teacup properly. Brawling and coarse behavior are upsetting to her. Strong as she is, she nevertheless presents herself with a terrible fragility. This changes over time as she finds more sure footing as herself rather than in the social class in which she was raised, but her sense of control, posture, and poise remain. 

She was of the class that dazzled the young, nouveau riche Reed as his family moved about in such circles, yet possessed of a strength and character that underscored and informed her beauty; a beauty that in so many other, lesser girls of her class, was a mere collection of practiced affectations. Sue was the real deal.

Her sense of dignity yet apparent fragility is likely what drew Namor's eye as well, seeing in her a creature of regal bearing appropriate to the sort of Atlantis he hoped to rule. She was fit for a Prince of the Blood Royal. Reed was in no way her equal and Namor was likely insulted on Sue's behalf that such rabble dared consort with someone so far above his station. 

Alicia carries herself as member of polite, albeit less genteel, society and has a heart and sensitivity as big as all outdoors. Sue is able to find common ground with her and feel a tremendous kinship with the poor girl, raised by one sort of brute and hopelessly in love with another. Alicia is a creature of beauty trapped in a world of ugliness, and yet supremely capable of compassion despite it all. She and Sue understand one another and are a comfort to each other in times of strain. As is shopping. Never underestimate the importance of shopping.

Sue's approach is matter-of-fact with her fellow members of the FF and while she clearly wishes them to be better than their lowest instincts early on, she nevertheless loves and cares for them enough to eventually accept them on their own, flawed terms. Boys will be boys, after all. If only the lot of them could just grow up and learn to behave themselves... Reed often being the worst of them, even if he doesn't see it himself. So wrapped up in his work, like a small boy with a chemistry set... It's not just for her sake that she wants him to come out of the lab and move about in society, interacting with others. 

It would be nearly impossible to find an actress poised and delicate enough to play Sue's exterior self and yet intelligent and self-assured in a way that demonstrates the utter lack of pretense informing those movements; To play the society deb and the woman of intense strength beneath. Morena Baccarin and Natalie Portman have both played figures who move about with grace and a sense of royalty, but they play too many games with the eyes. Sue does not flirt. She looks at you directly and speaks her mind without fear. She speaks persuasively and with emotion, yet never carelessly. She is controlled and knows exactly what she is going to say before she says it. I can't bring to mind a performer or performance that suggests Sue as she should be done.

We're just going to have to CGI her.

And we thought Ben was going to be our greatest special effects challenge...

Edited by Brian Hague on 18 March 2018 at 1:30pm

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 March 2018 at 6:43am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Brian H: "Reed only told Sue he was a judo master."

So you think it's easier to tear down Reed Richards than believe that he's a polymath of the first order?

I mean, Ben Grimm was a combat pilot - but he was awfully big to fit into those small aircraft cockpits. But I'm willing to allow a little disbelief.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 March 2018 at 9:02am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Hm. Reed only TOLD Sue he was a judo master, yet she picked up enough skills to clobber Doctor Doom?

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 March 2018 at 10:51am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Hey, Reed was as surprised as anyone when Sue defeated Doom with that flip-over bit he showed her with the stack of pillows... He just made that up on the spot!

"Tear down...?" Does the emoticon no longer translate as a humorous note signifying that a joke has been told..? Hello..? Hello? Is this thing on? No, but seriously, folks, I just flew in from Latveria, and boy is my bathtub tired! (Cue rimshot.) Doom walks into a fancy restaurant, waiter says to him, "My, what interesting leather armor... Check it for you, sir?" So Doom says, haha... Doom says to the guy, "That's no armor! That's my wife!" Hahaha! (Rimshot!) But seriously, you wanna talk about in-law troubles, my pal Ben, now there's a guy with in-law troubles! Haha! Hey, you're a great crowd, really... Try the veal and don't forget to tip your waiters! 

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 March 2018 at 12:37pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Brian H., I humbly apologize. I see that emoticon at the end, and I didn't understand your sentences "Reed only told Sue he was a judo master. And then he showed her a few moves... Tony Stark, international playboy, has got nothing on the Marvel Comics' scientific community's number one Mack Daddy. :-)". Those words do not parse into an intelligible sentence to me, but you surely did note that there was humorous content. No offense was intended to you in any way, shape, form. (I think I really am sliding into Alzheimers, so some time soon, if it seems I stop making sense - or perhaps START making sense - well, then so long and thanks for all the fish.)

BH: "...don't forget to tip your waiters!"
AUUGGHHH! >thud!<

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 March 2018 at 1:20pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Sigh. We lose more waiters that way...

I do plead guilty to some awkward sentence construction there. And a badly placed apostrophe. As well as to speaking in sentence fragments. Like these. No worries. I took no offense. I was, however, baffled that my calling Reed a "mack daddy" and presenting a scenario wherein he was lying to Sue to get her into "judo" positions could be taken seriously.

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 March 2018 at 4:10pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Brian Hague wrote:
]Casting Sue is difficult, in part, because she is New England royalty. She knows how to speak and how to hold a teacup properly. Brawling and coarse behavior are upsetting to her. Strong as she is, she nevertheless presents herself with a terrible fragility. This changes over time as she finds more sure footing as herself rather than in the social class in which she was raised, but her sense of control, posture, and poise remain. 

She was of the class that dazzled the young, nouveau riche Reed as his family moved about in such circles, yet possessed of a strength and character that underscored and informed her beauty; a beauty that in so many other, lesser girls of her class, was a mere collection of practiced affectations. Sue was the real deal.
Sue always struck me as slightly more Betty Cooper than Veronica Lodge as background goes.  Middle class, though perhaps upper middle class because her father was a physician. Might have taken a "step down" after her father's incarceration since her aunt was taking in boarders. 

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 March 2018 at 5:46pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I can see that. I read it as a somewhat more precipitous fall. 

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version