Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 2
Topic: Great writing, is it even possible? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 August 2018 at 9:17am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

"One fellow threw me out of his car for my views on Kingdom Come. Fortunately, we were parked at the time. "

Pretty funny Brian!
Back to Top profile | search

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 August 2018 at 9:18am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

When was Bendis a novelist?  He went to art school and was an artist for newspapers and magazines before he started writing and drawing his creator-owned comics. 

Joe S. Walker
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 August 2018 at 9:18am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I think it's easier to say what writers ought to avoid than what constitutes "great writing".

Edited by Joe S. Walker on 18 August 2018 at 9:24am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

William Ferguson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 August 2018 at 9:21am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Thanks for the great post Rebecca. You and several others mention names I've never heard of. The last couple of years I have started to discover artist and inkers that have been around a long time but I never heard of them. Amazing wortk out there. I'm amazed at how much I don't know! The internet is good for one thing I guess. 

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 August 2018 at 10:59am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I've struggled with the question of what comics can and can't be all along I think. Personally for me and inherently. There were people who felt the medium to be absolutely limitless and I butted heads with a lot of them over the years. Technically there are things that yes, you can do, but I'm focused on the form being a mass medium centrally that can be successful commercially.

There are stories that can be told, but should they - would there be sufficient audience - is it appropriate to a visually grounded form? We've seen some pretty weird combinations that were cooked up for a laugh or shock value in the old underground comics be applied to the mainstream, and finding a sort of fanatical audience (willing to buy multiple versions of a single issue etc.) to replace the old general more casual audience.

There is some other stuff that was going on with DC and me in 1994 that I never got credited or paid but maybe I was going to be? Perhaps Dean Motter in private could remember something, or maybe not. Some things seemed to be Mr. Pozner's domain solely. I guess I would probably have been given some short thing in Showcase to start. I'd thought it was going to be an inventory thing, and Lobo figured prominently as it was cartoony and I was suitable for cartoonier sorts of things. I thought a letter where I said I really disliked what I'd seen of this Lobo character had passed the one informing me about an impending assignment, and that the assignment was simply withdrawn and the door closed in silence. He probably never even saw that letter, and it would've been chaos just to keep things in the office moving for a few months I'm sure.

Well, the art on the Lobo pages among the trial pages was well done, I just found the character to be the giant muscled leering laughing at violence epitome of everything I didn't like at the time. So while maybe I would have gotten something else to work on (I think I said anything else) maybe the sh*t would've hit the fan anyway in that I would have been told to work on something I simply could not. That's the way I was then, less so now. I'd already done work I had no pride in that seemed pointless if not outright negative even though I did good work (got bonuses, things were reused more than once).

Even the Supergirl or Legion I might have loved to have worked on, or Barbie which a couple people I knew did work on for Marvel, were not what they had been or were mostly just a second banana to merchandise or animation. I have a pile of letters someplace, letters from companies and other artists... the DC ones from 1994 should be in there, but I can't find it, maybe it even all got thrown out. There were things from Comico, Caliber, Dark Horse and Eternity. In the end the main thing stopping me has been me ultimately. I knew I didn't fit in various ways, I saw so many others who did, but I could've fought to make a place for myself if I'd really wanted to I think. The day job business has seen me through to the present but it's going to be winding up soon after 32 years in operation. Nothing stopping me now but me as usual (and maybe a bit of health problems but who says I have to meet the toughest deadlines like back then). Do I really care? I do care but do I care enough? It's all paper and even the toughest encapsulation won't make it forever, so it really in the doing and the readers if any that there's any worth.

Over-thinking as always. Still interested in other people's ideas about what makes good comics of whatever sort. And I've learned about things I've missed like Johnny Boo or the IDW Star Trek comics which I'm loving!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 August 2018 at 11:06am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

John Popa wrote "When was Bendis a novelist? "

Doh, a mental block i was confusing him with Brad
Meltzer, it`s my age and a week of 4am starts! I like
Meltzer`s comics, but Bendis with the talking heads, it
may work in tv, but not in comics.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 August 2018 at 12:30pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I can relate somewhat, Rebecca. Looking back, there were three separate instances when, had things gone differently, I could have wound up doing work for Marvel. What would have happened next is entirely up in the air. I also had a wonderful opportunity for state employment had I been savvy enough to follow up on it. As it is, my life since has been a series of day jobs, all lasting a few years, and then ending. I've built nothing; have nothing*. There's no point in wallowing in any of it, of course, and yes, there's still time to do something I suppose. 

Thirty-two years in business is an accomplishment, Rebecca. Don't think it isn't. Any level of financial security one has managed to maintain is, really. I hope you do decide to do something creative, if only for the sake of doing so. Whether it achieves anyone else's standards for "greatness" really couldn't be more beside the point. Make it the best you can make it and then move on to the next project. Do that one well and move on to the next. Greatness will take care of itself. You do the same for yourself.

William, thanks for the kudos. That friend literally didn't speak to me again for years afterwards. Over Kingdom Come, of all things.

Years later, he apologized and gave me a deluxe Barbie Wonder Woman as a gift over dinner. He said that it was my comprehensive knowledge of comics history and trivia that he found overwhelming and unable to keep pace with. He'd felt intimidated. I thanked him, and told him again as I did then that I could see what he was enjoying with the series, but couldn't enjoy it myself. I apologized if I'd been brusque or overbearing. Dinner went okay, although we really didn't stay in touch afterwards, and when I later returned to the place we'd both worked, he was a major player in getting me fired as quickly as possible, delivering the news himself with a sort of animated, energetic enthusiasm.

The moral, apparently? Do NOT get on people's wrong side concerning which version of Batman they enjoy. People take their Batman seriously. :-)

* Okay, not true. I do have a storage unit and two rooms filled with stuff I need to get rid of and soon.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 August 2018 at 12:51pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Brian Hague wrote:
As it is, my life since has been a series of day jobs, all lasting a few years, and then ending. I've built nothing; have nothing*.

And yet (not telling you how to think), you've had countless experiences, no doubt. Opportunities for development. You've no doubt experienced different environments, different colleagues, etc. And having had quite a few day jobs, and remembering that every workplace is unique, you have knowledge, experience and skills that might, just might, be more worthy than people who stay in jobs for 30 or 40 years.

Take nothing away from those people, of course. But I worked with a woman who had been in her role for 27+ years. She said something like, "I only wanted to come here as a stopgap and move on, but here I am 27 years later." She had regrets. It was sad.

Sorry if I sound like a life coach or employment guru, my friend (not my intention). But isn't there some value and enjoyment in having had more than one job? More power to those who do the same job for 20, 30 or 40 years. Good luck to them! 

But we can all become stale. That's why I left my last profession. A change of environment is good. Fresh faces are good. And we do seem, certainly in the UK, to be living in an era where people do not only change jobs but change careers.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 August 2018 at 1:12pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Very true Robbie, sometimes i feel my life is like a
leaf in the wind, going where life takes me, i have left
a job for better prospects, been made redundant after 25
years, tried a new career that wasn`t going to work for
me, both financially and in terms of happiness and ended
up in a job that i quite enjoy.
I think that to be a success in life, don`t measure it
on possessions and earnings, measure it on your
happiness and friends etc.I`d rather be comfortable,
stress free and have good friends and family than be
cash rich, stressed and trying to keep up with the
Jones`, who are likely equally stressed!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version