Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4
Topic: How To Revamp/Rejuvenate Without Renumbering Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2018 at 12:01pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Stephen Churay wrote:
 I'd have to buy them all and read the indicia 
to know which comes first.

This is exactly the kind of thing I was thinking of.

I've heard "civilians" making complaints. It can be confusing. Somehow, because the DARTH VADER comic (Marvel) renumbered, some got a little confused (I think one had bought the second volume of #1 onwards rather than the first volume of #1 onwards).

It's absurd.
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2018 at 5:15pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Number one issues continue to sell comics. Until a solution to the "problem" of number ones is proposed that will also sell comics at the same rate, number ones will be with us. 

When buying trades, one can easily check when the trade was published, either in-person or on line. Amazon includes publication dates routinely in their sales information. The earlier ones came first. No one has to buy the trades before making that determination. 

I haven't read Jason Aaron's run myself, Stephen, but my friend Don is a hardcore Thor fan and sings their praises to me on a routine basis. If I weren't poor, I would have bought them by now.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2018 at 6:04pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Brian Hague wrote:
Number one issues continue to sell comics. Until a solution to the "problem" of number ones is proposed that will also sell comics at the same rate, number ones will be with us.

Yeah, but we're now long past the point of diminishing returns. Also, I'd be concerned about what all those number #1s are doing to sales of issues that aren't #1.

QUOTE:
When buying trades, one can easily check when the trade was published, either in-person or on line. Amazon includes publication dates routinely in their sales information. The earlier ones came first. No one has to buy the trades before making that determination.

I'll never understand how making people have to do additional research is supposed to work as a marketing strategy.      

QUOTE:
I haven't read Jason Aaron's run myself, Stephen, but my friend Don is a hardcore Thor fan and sings their praises to me on a routine basis. If I weren't poor, I would have bought them by now.

Personally, I liked everything up to the moment Thor became "unworthy." The new Thor doesn't do much for me, particularly because I keep feeling like the story/narration is telling me that she's great rather than letting her do neat things and letting me decide for myself. Also, Aaron's take on Mjolnir and the "worthiness" business just seems off to me. YMMV.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2018 at 6:15pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

If you're already ordering on on-line, the publishing date is right there. Also, flipping open the cover and reading does not qualify as "additional research" to me. 

As for what number ones are doing to the sale of other books, I'd imagine the same thing they've always done. I can't see editors saying, "Let's keep sales on this issue low so we don't pull customers away from our other books."

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2018 at 6:17pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Dave Phelps wrote:
I'll never understand how making people have to do additional research is supposed to work as a marketing strategy.

This concerns me, too.

I can pick up (as can anyone) a random issue of Judge Dredd's Case Files. They have many volumes - I think the 30th is the most recent - and they are in chronological order. 2000 AD has "Programs" rather than issues. It's all simple, though. Pick up Volume 28 of his Case Files and it's marked Progs #1084-1110. 

You know where you stand.

Forcing people to do "homework" is counterproductive. Look how easy the likes of ESSENTIAL MARVEL were to follow. Volume numbers and sequential issue numbers marked on the front. They couldn't do that now.

How many people might decide NOT to buy a volume because they find three trades with #1 at the beginning too confusing?

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2018 at 6:22pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Robbie Parry wrote: "How many people might decide NOT to buy a volume because they find three trades with #1 at the beginning too confusing?"

You mean they've already opened the book to find which issues are being reprinted, but they can not, absolutely will not, look to see the publication date? Probably not enough to matter.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 4
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version