Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 2
Topic: Another Shop Closes Its Doors. A Big One. Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2018 at 9:28am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

As I said, I’m no longer in LA, and I kept seeing what Meltdown was up to through multiple avenues. I thought they had a pretty broad reach.

Not to belabor the point, but I'm a comic book fan living in Hollywood all my life and I never heard of the place until just a very few years ago.  Are any of those avenues you mention something that would have reached somebody not in the know?  

Come to think of it, I have no idea how I ever found the Golden Apple store as a teenager either.  I may have just come across it.

The comic book store I regularly go to now I only found because I happened to drive by it on Free Comic Book Day and they had a guy dressed as (movie) Thor waving outside.  That got me inside and the 20% discount (originally 15% for non-regulars) kept me coming back.
Back to Top profile | search

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2018 at 10:48am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Shawn Kane wrote:
I agree with Eric. "Read the latest issue!" is great. I bought the G.I. Joe comic in 1982 specifically because I saw the commercial for the first issue. That was before I saw the toys!

I'm sure other toy franchises did the same.

I watched and read He-Man comics before I ever really knew about the toys. There was "cross-pollination".

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2018 at 11:26am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Right but Marvel had a commercial for the actual comic. I didn't even know about the action figures until I bought the comic. I want to say that the toy commercials started about a month or so later. I remember a buddy of mine had Zap and I was like "he doesn't look like that in comic!". Of course, Breaker (my favorite) looked different and didn't have the bubble gum, I guess it would have gotten in the action figure's beard :)

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2018 at 11:41am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Not to belabor the point, but I'm a comic book fan living in Hollywood all my life and I never heard of the place until just a very few years ago.  Are any of those avenues you mention something that would have reached somebody not in the know?   

——

Yes. For the most part, this forum is really the only comic book specific site I spend any time on, yet I frequently encounter stuff that’s going on at Meltdown. 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version