Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Is listening to an audio book considered reading? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2018 at 4:22pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

no, it's listening to someone else read
Back to Top profile | search

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2018 at 5:57pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

The clue is in the title...`Audio` if you ain`t looking, 
you ain`t read
ing!

Braille being an exception to this rule of course.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2018 at 6:35pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

"Is listening to an audio book considered reading?"

I'll go with a soft no -- because your actively reading is (uh oh) "listening" to your own "voice" in your head. Anyone who reads experiences this, whether print on the page, braille, architectural plans, tea leaves, etc. 

If somebody is reading to me, then I have no choice but to accept her or his voice either in place of mine or in addition to mine or challenge it as opposed to mine, etc. 

But this isn't the easiest of distinctions to make in terms of all kinds of texts. I can read Shakespeare or listen to a recording of actors reading the lines -- though neither is seeing the play, which is the superior form of "reading" it? There have been times when I've read and read and read lines from Shakespeare that have stumped me... until I heard a professional actor intone them, and then -- instant light bulb switched on.

Christopher Frost
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2018 at 8:52pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

It's not reading. It's more akin to storytime as a kid. You are listening to someone else tell a story but it isn't the same as actually reading it yourself. Both experiences can be good, but they are not the same.

Also, as noted in the posts of others, reading something yourself sparks your own imagination as to how characters look, sound, etc. Someone else presenting the story to you, whether it be reading it to you or some other medium like film, leaves you with *their* interpretation of the same and utilizes less imagination.

Audiobooks can be a nice time filler on long rides but to equate them reading is false. 

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2018 at 9:48pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

If you're in a book club or reading challenge, an audio book is cheating. 

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 25 March 2018 at 1:44am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I haven't gotten into the audio book craze, if it is a craze at all.  But it's been around a good long while.  Books on tape anyone?  Same thing. Been around for decades.  Although I've enjoyed the few I've heard, they're not the same experience as reading to me.  When someone says they've "read" twenty books and I find out they've listened to twenty books on Audible, I reflexively say that they haven't "read" them at all.  They've had them read to them. Big difference. It takes work to read a book.  I'm currently 300 pages into a nearly 1000 page book.  I'm not looking for props, but it is a commitment far and above the one you may make to listen to the same book on your commute or walking the dog.  

It's also a passive act where actual reading is active.  The voice over actor is doing a lot of the heavy lifting for you in an audio book, but I have to supply all of that as a reader.  I'm not denigrating one over the other, but they are different forms of consuming the same story. 

Here's the thing for me: I'd rather actually read a book than listen to it on Audible unless it's autobiographical read by the person about whom the book is about. In that case, I think it would be fascinating to hear them tell their own story.  That's kinda where I am.  And I don't consider listening to be the same as physically reading a book.  Call me old school.  Wouldn't be the first time!

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2018 at 2:00am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I thought someone would mention Braille!

If i watch a film adaptation of a book, it doesn`t mean
i have read the book!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2018 at 3:17am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

If i watch a film adaptation of a book, it doesn`t mean
i have read the book!

But that's not the same thing at all. Audio Books (when unabridged) and Braille are exactly the same words as the original books; films are not. 

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2018 at 3:19am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

If you're in a book club or reading challenge, an audio book is cheating. 

Seriously? Must check the rule book at my book club in the future then to see what else is considered "cheating". 

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2018 at 3:21am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

To clarify, I do not think that listening to an audio book is reading in the traditional sense at all but with a changing world and developing technologies our vocabulary and the definitions of words which will evolve, expands and change.  

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2018 at 5:59am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

A few days ago JB had a thread about how to pronounce "Gamgee" and that led me to find recordings of Tolkien himself reading from THE LORD OF THE RINGS. While I wouldn't say that I prefer listening to him necessarily over my own reading, hearing how he did read his own original work is an absolutely wonderful experience. I can only imagine how enthralled audiences were to hear Dickens! 

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2018 at 6:06am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

If i watch a film adaptation of a book, it doesn`t mean i have read the book!

I first saw the movie, THE GODFATHER, many times over, before reading the original novel. And when I did, I found it impossible not to "hear" the actors, not to "see" the actors, not to fully imagine virtually everything through the prism of Coppola's movie. I can't honestly assess whether I've truly read the book! 

But that's because the movie was so faithful to the book (excepting one un-filmed digression). When it comes to something like BREAKFAST A TIFFANY'S, though ...!

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version