Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: FANTASTIC FOUR returning in August Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2018 at 7:10pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I don't really have an iron in the fire. I am extremely fond of the FF (as was), but I'm a man in his 40s who hasn't regularly collected comics since his teens. These comics aren't for me and I accepted that a long time ago.

I (very) occasionally pop into a comics shop and check out what is on offer, and it simply doesn't appeal. And even the back issues seem too recent for the most part!

The most important thing is that the core, the heart, of the FF gets passed on to the next generation. I hope Marvel can do that.

Edited by Peter Martin on 29 March 2018 at 7:11pm
Back to Top profile | search

Ron Grant
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2018 at 7:35pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Wallace you are correct Ben is way too tall.
wish these new artists would take a look at Jack Kirby's or our hosts runs to get an idea of how the characters should look .

Ron Grant
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2018 at 7:48pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

The anatomy on Ben is all wrong he does not have a human physique he has a monster physique.
short legs and no neck.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2018 at 7:50pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Hey, and the Torch is covered in flame too.

Ron Grant
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2018 at 8:20pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Christopher Frost
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2018 at 8:49pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I can't stand Dan Slott. His writing is what drove me away from Spidey after decades of following the books. The thought of him handling the FF is disappointing to me. Pichelli is a decent artist but her style leans a little too much towards a cartoony look for my taste.  

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2018 at 9:12pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Much as I like that guide to drawing the Thing ("don't gimme no lips"), it is a thing of its time -- as evidenced by the brow comment.

Don't make him look like Fozzie and keep him craggy are pieces of advice for the ages, but the separate eyebrow is pretty much a defining feature for much of the history of the character and I would say JB draws him now built more like a human than his own guide suggests back then.

His height should not be tall though. 

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2018 at 10:17pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

"keep him craggy..."

Ben surely has a distinct look as JB has discussed in previous threads.
Can't see why other artists need to draw him so off-model. Better to follow the foundation Kirby built.

-C!

Back to Top profile | search | www

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2018 at 11:03pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Much as I like that guide to drawing the Thing ("don't gimme no lips"), it is a thing of its time -- as evidenced by the brow comment.

Why is a single brow "a thing of its time"?  It's not like he's wearing sideburns or a mullet!

Even though that poster is lame, I am very glad that Marvel is bringing the FF back!  And I appreciate that they are putting two of their best (at least two THEY consider their best!) on the book!  At least it shows they're serious about it.  I might actually have to buy this one!  (It's almost two years since I quit everything Marvel over "Hydra Cap"--maybe it's time to give them another shot.)

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 March 2018 at 9:17am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I said it's of its time because it's a guide to what the on-model version of the Thing was when it was written.

Artists before and since, though, have tended to draw the Thing with a brow.

Also, there are things like how JB draws kneecaps on the Thing, how the chest has some semblance of pectorals, a more pronounced segmentation of the limbs, that differ from that guide. So the guide tells how JB drew the Thing back then, not how he draws him now, so it's of its time. Make sense?

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 March 2018 at 10:34am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I'm fine with the teaser poster - it's straight to the point. If all people need to know is the FF is coming back, why tell them anything else? (That's a rhetorical question, by the way.)

Not familiar with the creative team, though. I can't say I'll buy it sight unseen but I'll look at it once it comes out and make a decision from there. I haven't read a Marvel book since 'War of Kings' 10 years ago but a couple of these relaunches (Thor, Hulk, FF and Captain Marvel as long as Pacheco is on the art) have me at least intrigued enough to maybe pick up the first issues.

Edited by John Popa on 30 March 2018 at 10:35am

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 March 2018 at 11:39am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I can't stand Dan Slott. His writing is what drove me away from Spidey after decades of following the books. The thought of him handling the FF is disappointing to me. Pichelli is a decent artist but her style leans a little too much towards a cartoony look for my taste.

•••

Agree on Slott.

What too many artists seem to miss, tho, is that the FF need a degree of "cartooniness" - which is not, btw, how I would describe Ms Pichelli's work. I hope she can find the necessary degree, whilst remembering that the Thing is not the Hulk. Otherwise, I think her work looks just fine.

(Meanwhile, as to that "How to Draw..." piece, it was, indeed, of its time, namely the time when I was drawing the FF. I'd hoped it might encourage some consistency. And I have, myself, drifted off that model in the decades since -- especially in commissions that requested a specific time frame.)

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version