Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: FANTASTIC FOUR returning in August Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2018 at 11:55am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Dan Slott and Sara Pichelli will be on the new FF book coming in August, per Marvel. Considering I liked his take on She-Hulk, I have some hopes that the new book will be a solid return for Marvel's "first family."
Back to Top profile | search

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2018 at 11:59am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I'm pleased the FF will be getting a book again. They'll be celebrating their 60th anniversary in 2021, so let's hope they do something special when that date arrives.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2018 at 12:05pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I wish it wasn't a new #1 but... that's the current state of play in relaunching books.

John Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2018 at 12:50pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I feel hopeful, I would like to see more of the art.  They have only released a shadowy image of the walking in like the astronauts from the movie "The Right Stuff."

Darren Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2018 at 1:32pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Sara is a fabulous artist. Not sure how her style will translate to the Thing or Mr Fantastic but I am keen to see how she adapts.  
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2018 at 3:20pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Seriously, this ad is the best Marvel can do to re-introduce the FIRST FAMILY after so long??? Way to go, marketing dept. -

-C!

Back to Top profile | search | www

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2018 at 4:20pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

It's quite a nice image, but doesn't really speak to four fantastic individuals. Four cool, but normal individuals, maybe. The FF deserves a bit more super-powered spectacle, rather than just the spectacle of dramatic lighting.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2018 at 5:39pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Ooh...somebody took a Photoshop class!

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2018 at 6:03pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I don't want a NEW Fantastic Four #1, or any damned number. I want the FF to continue from where they were so abruptly interrupted. And for Horus' sake, I am sick and tired of a Human Torch who would look completely normal in a black and white piece of art, or maybe with a little smoke around him. Carl Burgos and Jack Kirby drew the Torch differently to show him ON FIRE. Changing coloring on a standard human figure stinks.

I don't want a new Captain America or Justice League or Avengers or Superman. I want them to be consistent with what happened before... which we KNOW is now several histories, and which we KNOW will be RESTARTED once again when sales flag in the least little bit.

I don't feel there can be any future in comics. Everyone wants the same characters as when they specifically started reading... and there is no way to please any of those groups and still clear enough profit to stay in business.

This is not a symbol of hope to me. This is a harbinger of the end.

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2018 at 6:06pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I think it works as a "teaser poster"

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2018 at 6:54pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Ben is too big in that “teaser poster.”
Back to Top profile | search | www

Geoffrey Langford
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2018 at 6:55pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Eric Sofer -- I don't think you're the intended audience for comics anymore.  I know I'm not.

For decades now, Marvel and DC have been progressively making their characters more and more relatable to the new and younger audience of today.  I'm not making a comment on whether a 10 yo in 2018 would like Kirby's FF any better or worse than a 10yo in 1962 -- I'm just saying they've been changing the characters, their look, their voice, etc to make them relatable to current kids/teens.

It took about 10 years -- but I finally had to stop buying comics like I used to.  They just weren't for me anymore.  I still keep in touch - but like old distant friends, they seem more and more different each time I contact them - still with that sparkle, but different.

You may not want new Cap or new JLA, but just like serious comic book readers are not the intended audience for the movies, anyone over about 30 isn't the bulk of the growing and sustainable buying audience - over 30s are the shrinking readership base.

When it comes to a property like the FF -- I've got so many fond memories reading in the 70s and 80s and 90s - but by the 90s, the subtle changes had actually perverted the team and characters beyond anything I enjoyed in the 70s/80s.   Byrne's FF was still Kirby's FF, but even Byrne played with things to make them current.

Out of respect for my childhood, I'd rather Marvel reboot FF and not just "pick up" from what was supposed to be Kirby's FF.

Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version