Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: Trump Talk Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2018 at 9:08pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Michael, NK has stopped nuclear testing, suspended nuclear missile testing, and stopped launches of ICBMs. Their nuclear program is far from completed or mature. They have a long way to go with their delivery system. How is there any way this can be seen as anything other than positive? Couple that with Kim Jong-un's meetings with South Korean and Chinese officials, and what was once a troubling situation is looking to be ultimately well played by Trump.

——-

And they’ve stopped it before during the GWBush administration and offered to stop it before during the Obama administration. This is nothing new. Meanwhile, North Korea possibly has gained the capability to miniaturize a warhead and the ranges of their ballistic missiles have increased.

It’ll be great if the talks work out, but given the history of North Korea’s bait and switch tactics, Trump claiming that he has accomplished anything is severely premature. 
Back to Top profile | search

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2018 at 12:01am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Paul: Matt, I'd be curious to see the evidence that shows that the campaign was working with Russia, or made serious attempts to work with them. If there is, I'd be interested in reading about it.

Now certainly Trump has ties to Russian businesses (as well as business ties in over 2 dozen other countries). He's been doing business there since the late 80's. And doing business in Russia certainly puts you in contact with Russian government officials. How could it not? Their corrupt government is involved in every area of business there. People seem to view these connections as somehow showing collusion, but there has to be more to it than just that.

There is evidence regarding the Trump-Russia question, just like there's evidence in any question. Evidence is to be looked at and judged as either building the case for something or against it.

Evidence:

Papadopolis and Page were on Trump's security council, though they had almost no credentials to explain why. What they did have, and what they told Trump and his council, was avenues to the Kremlin. Papadopolis says Trump told him to pursue that connection. Page admits that he also did, though on his own (according to statements). Trump did not fire Papadopolis for this confession that he is a defacto Russian agent, Trump kept him on well past the election and offered him a permanent job -- until Mike Flynn was fired and suddenly Papadopolis was out. Later, indicted by Mueller, Papdopolis pleaded guilty to lying to the F.B.I.

Same day as the council met and heard Papadopolis' strange proposal, Trump's campaign co-chair (Gates) ordered the GOP platform changed to drop ant-Russian plank from the platform. Gates and campaign chair Manafort have long careers dealing with Russian oligarchs before agreeing to run Trump's campaign for free.

Roger Stone, one of Trump's closest advisors, has personal contacts with Wikileaks and Gruccifer-- the sources of the hacked emails.

Trump Jr. eagerly meeting with Russians to discuss sanctions (adoption - the subject of the Magnitsky sanctions) in a meeting announced to be about Clinton dirt from Russia.

Etc. ad infinitum. Mountains of evidence. Does it tend toward any conclusion?

Does one single fact in the entire scheme suggest Trump's campaign worked to trade sanctions for support? Um.. yeah. All of it.

Not one single action on Trump's campaign contradicts the idea of a Trump-Russia connection. Yet hundreds of incidences of Russia connections continue to be uncovered. Usually after being lied about-- attempted back-channels to the Kremlin by Kushner, Prince, etc. Trump's stunning refusals to sanction Russia or criticize it with anything but the tamest of reproaches - even when all US Intelligence agencies agree Russia vigorously attacked our election -- on Trump's behalf.

These pieces are just part of a picture which is not complete. We know (at most) about 25% of what, say, Robert Mueller knows. But there is obviously evidence.

So look at it honestly and ask: is it tending toward innocence or toward a connection?

Edited by Mark Haslett on 23 April 2018 at 12:06am

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2018 at 12:12am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

The case against O.J. was mostly circumstantial. The consciousness of guilt evident in all of his post-murder actions was seen by his accusers for what it was. His defenders went along with his denials, bending logic to try to account for all his weird actions, statements, and behaviors.

Trump defenders who look at the evidence and at Trump's reactions to the evidence are forced into a similar position.

Marc M. Woolman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2018 at 2:06am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I don't understand where this idea that
dissenting opinions are not welcomed here.

An unpopular opinion may be challenged,
you may have to explain the reasoning
behind your opinion, but I've not seen any
unpopular opinions banned. I've seen
people that weren't engaging in debate,
nor defending their opinion, called-out
for it, but that's a different thing
altogether.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2018 at 2:11am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Paul Buchanan wrote:
Robbie, I've read a lot of the religious posts over the years, and frankly there's not a lot of pro-religious views on the list. There are some, but they're generally mocked. As for gun debates, I've read all of those discussions over the years. I'm on the fence regarding the scope of the second amendment, and my feelings on guns in general. But If you think the pro-second amendment, or gun ownership side hasn't been censored over the years, I suggest you re-read some of those threads.I've seen those people shut off more than once. Call it censorship, or something else, but those ideas are often not allowed to be expressed.

One reason for there not being a lot of pro-religious views on the list is possibly due to there being quite a number of non-religious/atheist folk here. I can think of three religious people here, all of whom are still members, and have expressed views in various topics.

As for gun threads, there is one person who appears to be pro-2nd Amendment. It gets heated for sure - gun debates will - but, again, the person is still here, often posts in defence of gun availability, and I can't recall censorship.

I have been on forums where censorship was a thing. A now-defunct AIRWOLF forum had moderators who made it clear that they didn't want discussion of the much-maligned fourth season. A MIAMI VICE forum I was on also tried to censor folk, particularly "newbies". 

But many people here have been members for 10-12 years. Why would folk stay if there was censorship?

Scott Morrissey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2018 at 6:01am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Trump losing the next election? Well, if people get out and vote he may well lose.

Will he actually accept the result? That is the question.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2018 at 6:05am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

He's been doing business there since the late 80's. And doing business in Russia certainly puts you in contact with Russian government officials. How could it not? Their corrupt government is involved in every area of business there. People seem to view these connections as somehow showing collusion, but there has to be more to it than just that.
--------------------------------
There is much stronger evidence of collusion — or a willingness to collude — than just incidental contact in the course of real estate business.

3 June 2016, Rob Goldstone emails Donald Trump Jr, writing: 

"Good morning

Emin just called and asked me to contact you with something interesting. The Crown prosecutor of Russia met with his father Aras this morning and in their meeting offered to provide the Trump campaign with some official documents and information that would incriminate Hillary and her dealings with Russia would be very useful to your father. This is obviously very high level and sensitive information but it is part of Russia and its goverment's support for Mr Trump — helped along by Aras and Emin. "

(the email refers to Aras Agalarov, a Russian oligarch, and his son, Emin Agalarov).

Less than 20 minutes later Donald Trump Jr wrote back:

"Thanks Rob I appreciate that. I am on the road at the moment but perhaps I just speak to Emin first. Seems we have some time and if it's what you say I love it especially later in the summer. "

In March 2016 the DNC was hacked by Russia. Russia gave the documents to Wikileaks.

In June 2016 the DNC says it was hacked by Russia. In July the NY Times published a story citing US intelligence's high confidence of Russia involvement in the hack.

In September and October 2016, Wikileaks contacted Donald Trump Jr, who responded several times back to them privately via Twitter. He notified key campaign people such KellyAnn Conway and Steve Bannon, but no one raised any alarm bells.

On 11 October 2016 Donald Trump tweeted: "I hope people are looking at the disgraceful behavior of Hillary Clinton as exposed by WikiLeaks. She is unfit to run."

On 12 October 2016, wikileaks privately message Donald Trump Jr and wrote, "Hey Donald, great to see your dad talking about our publications. Strongly suggest your dad tweet this link if he mentions us."

On 14 October 2016, Donald Trump Jr tweeted out the link he had been given (the tweet is here: LINK)

And there's plenty more evidence of key campaign people communicating privately with Wikileaks while publicly lying and saying there was no coordination between the Trump Campaign and Wikileaks.

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2018 at 2:56pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Gee, Trump is easing sanctions today on another Russian company with ties to the oligarchs connected to his campaign.

Another totally normal and innocent thing for the President of the United States to do.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2018 at 3:39pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I don't understand where this idea that
dissenting opinions are not welcomed here.

But many people here have been members for 10-12 years. Why would folk
stay if there was censorship?

I joined way back in 2004, and have not experienced that.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2018 at 4:20pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

There's a tiny pathetic cult of dingus out there who get a real charge out of the myth of the big bad Byrne.

The common misconception of how people get treated on this board seem to come from these highly motivated sad sacks. That the misconceptions are so widespread says something about the people who are somehow interested in this, but not interested enough to come here and post and find out for themselves.

So thanks for jumping in, Paul. Sorry we disagree on Trump.

Thomas Woods
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2018 at 4:25pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I was posting back when Obama was running and got called
a lot of nasty names, but never got banned.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2018 at 4:26pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Thomas W; - "Keeping Hilary out of the White House is #1."

Really? I have no idea what would have resulted from that*, but I know what has happened with Trump in the White House. I've seen staff and cabinet secretaries leaving right and left, whether of their own motivation or his discharging them. I've seen scum inhabiting the People's House. Contrarian comments and tweets, demanding ego, self-gratifying and self-aggrandizing speeches at inappropriate times and locations - that's what I've seen come out of the Trump White House.

I doubt that Bill would have a cabinet post. I doubt that Chelsea would be an unofficial but powerful speaker, with no title, and swinging around like a cat with a twenty foot long tail in a room full of rocking chairs. You can't avoid her, and she's a nuisance.

North Korea has stated that no further testing of nukes or medium to long range missiles is necessary. And that's a hell of a long way from disarming, or shutting down production.

*But I DO know that the Congress would have stalled and obstructed the shit out of her... as they did with Obama. Heaven forfend, but maybe 45's presidency might be the impetus for the voting citizenry to get out and vote, and try to clean out the old white men who are representing themselves, each other, and ridiculously exclusive interests, at the cost of the interests of the American people.

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version