Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7
Topic: Using Mainstream Comics As Political and Social Commentary Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 May 2018 at 8:40am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Rebecca Jansen wrote:

"I kind of found Art Spiegelman's Maus a bit uncomfortable for reasons other than the family history shared in it (with talking animals, um, er, why?)."

I thought "Maus" was fantastic and devastatingHere's an article about why he employed animals.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Jabari Lamar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 May 2018 at 9:05am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Stephen Churay wrote:
Jabari, I'm not disagreeing with you about Meyer.

Yes you are.

Stephen Churay wrote:
I simply wanted to be fair and give his statements a little context,-

A context that he “doesn’t really mean it”, which is B.S.

Stephen Churay wrote:
-and even after that, I called what he did repugnant.

But still try to excuse it as joking and just playing a character.

StephenChuray wrote:
I mentioned him because he is the only one I can factually prove called the publisher.

That is no different than tweeting or FB messaging someone, which is what happened in the Sitterson situation. People contacted a publisher and told them what a person they were in business with had said publicly, and the publisher decided that the words were offensive enough for them to stop doing business with that person.  That’s all. Dunn himself said he wasn’t “threatened”by Waid. There was nothing illegal in either situation. You can believe otherwise if you want, but I really wouldn’t recommend holding your breath waiting for some FTC charges against Mark Waid.

True Story: Years ago there was a man named Rick Olney (now deceased), a failed publisher and comicon organizer, who was known for cheating dozens of artists and writers out of thousands of dollars. It finally came to a head when many comics pros, principally Gail Simone, as well as Tony Isabella and Chuck Dixon, made it a point to inform as many people as possible of his misdeeds so that he couldn’t cheat others. At one point Olney claimed to be working with Ben Dunn, after which I contacted Dunn on Deviant Art to warnhim of Olney’s history, which Dunn thanked me for and told me he would take that into consideration. Olney also made lots of threats of suing people for “libel”and other crimes against him, but that never came to anything.

Stephen Churay wrote:
Please, please inform me further,but I could find no harassment of him until he made stupid comments about 9/11on Twitter.

The point is that people, including Meyer, took Sitterson’s own words and informed the publisher he was working for about it, in the hopes that the publisher would drop him. Which they eventually did.  And now others have taken Meyers own words and informed the publisher he was going to work with about it, and that publisher dropped him. Thus, Meyer's complaints are hypocritical.

Stephen Churay wrote:
A man's opinions and beliefs arehis own but he was writing a G.I.Joe: A Real American Hero comic. That's never going to go well.

Yes, you can believe and say what they want. And when yourwork, whatever it is, depends on support from the public, you need to acceptthat, like it or not, sometimes the public may choose not to support your work based on what you say. 

Now I'm done with this topic. 

Edited by Jabari Lamar on 18 May 2018 at 9:08am
Back to Top profile | search

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 May 2018 at 9:48am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I'm torn on the whole "they're a jerk on social media so they should be fired" issue. On one hand, if a person wants to help sell a product, they should be reaching out to a wide audience to sell that product. If I've hired you and you make inflammatory statements to turn off half the audience, I don't want you working for me. It's self defeating. At the same time, a boss should not necessarily dictate what a worker should be allowed to share or discuss on social media to a certain extent. The Sitterson case is one where he wanted to do a G.I. Joe comic more in line with the cartoon. He didn't military background like Larry Hama. It was out of line for him to decide how people should view a national tragedy with his "If you weren't in New York when it happened..." attitude. It was a snotty comment and smacked of an elitist attitude but maybe not fair to cancel his book. But for a title that wasn't going to sell a lot of comics out of the gate, angering potential buyers wasn't smart. I'm a teacher at a high school and if I go on Twitter or Facebook and post something that is going to alienate the parents of my community, I'm getting called into the office the next day. Sitterson angered G.I. Joe fans with a statement that showed disdain for a possible element of the audience*. Not a smart business move.

*Not me, I'm a Larry Hama purist when it comes to G.I. Joe.

Edited by Shawn Kane on 18 May 2018 at 9:53am

Harri Jokinen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 May 2018 at 12:09pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

QUOTE:
My own reservation about Meyer is that he is from that group of readers who look to early 90's Marvel, early Image, and early Quesada-Marvel as how comics should be. He also loves 80's Marvel, but a look at his work reveals his heart is in the latter stuff. I happen to think that stuff is rotten to the core, so I guess I'm an even more conservative fan than he is. 

His tastes can't be all bad. He mentioned JB:s Avengers West Coast as the greatest comic book run of all time.

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 May 2018 at 12:41pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I missed that!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 7
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version