Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 2
Topic: Being Banned Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 May 2018 at 11:40am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

It was first coined at a San Diego Con. I then used it.
Back to Top profile | search

Jeff Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 May 2018 at 11:42am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

So what exactly are the issues that certain posters that come here have? Are they long term Byrne  fans, Marvel vs DC fans, disgruntled Byrne fans with an agenda??  In other words, do they come here to gripe or do they really have something important to say?  Constructive criticism is always welcome, I would assume.

I would guess it is the approach that is the deal killer. :)

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 May 2018 at 12:28pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Jeff, I think a great deal of it boils down to people making mistakes and then acting like fools after making a mistake. Misunderstandings occur and posts in a forum aren't always the best way to communicate, but being courteous and giving the benefit of the doubt goes a long way around here.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 May 2018 at 3:11pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

ITEM: This is NOT a public board. This belongs to Mr. Byrne and company. It welcomes people from all over, and is pretty civil... but no one has a right to be here (Mr. Byrne excluded, of course. He has ALL rights.)

ITEM: How hard is it to figure out? You want to avoid getting bounced off the JBF? DON'T BE AN ASS. Disagree, but disagree respectfully. Discuss topics germanely. Don't bring an agenda, don't bring an attitude - I mean, these are things that should have learned in kindergarten.

ITEM: I can't believe that people would be proud of getting thrown off this forum. Is that ever a badge of honor? Being castigated and rejected wholly by a group? I suppose it's an achievement of some small nature for those who have nothing else to aspire to in their lives. Do bad behavior and rude comments REALLY validate someone?

I was once the administrator of the Captain Comics web page, and I maintained the same atmosphere as is around here: PLAY NICE. If you can get along in civilized company, you're welcome here. That's all there is to it. And kudos to our administrators here for maintaining the same situation here.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 May 2018 at 4:27pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

A few years ago I was banned from a U.S. based chat place. It got extremely political where a couple of regulars disliked me saying anything in defense of Trayvon Martin and as there were report buttons they were reporting me as breaking rules. I got warned and thought it was silly, but I refused and said so to 'report' on others. What finally got me was Bagpuss, a '70s British children's tv character. I mentioned there were some cute Bagpuss items on sale on another part of the website and it got reported and wiped and I was 'warned' in a form latter type of email. Well, I then posted saying what Bagpuss was, and nothing I'd written could have been taken as aimed at anyone else, that items of the character were being sold on the site etc. etc. So that disappeared and I was warned again, but also told that discussing anything/one that had been removed/banned could get you banned. I still wasn't banned but I went in again and just posted the word Bagpuss Bagpuss Bagpuss a few dozen times in a new post. Banned. I did it to myself in some kind of fit of attitude, I admit it. :^) I was told if I apologized I could return like some very trolly type people were often doing. Forget it, I'll just stay banned thanks. I guess that makes me a proud to be banned person myself, but in perspective I just couldn't care much, and it was more their loss anyway as I had often, over years, helped other users find things on their website, even getting credit and a pen in the mail for it. I don't even have any particular hard feelings; it was one moderator type person doing a job they were paid for and I'm sure I was causing them a bit more work. Good riddance if they wanted to just follow some strict rule and not actually look at what kind of more negative personally aimed stuff was going on, especially the reporter elves type 'members' (some with assault rifle ID pictures). I guess supposedly I and Bagpuss hisself were potentially offensive to women somehow, even having an F on my own birth certificate. Now they are safe!

The only other time I had a problem with a chat place was where a moderator took my posts, edited them way down to two bits out of context, removed other people's contributions to a conversation and then locked it I wasn't banned, I just never posted there again. Not sure what the moderator thought they were doing but they never communicated before or after, so it mostly just seems strange or manipulative in some way I can't be sure of.

Blah blah blah, I mean who cares, I feel foolish writing this out. As outrageous injustices go, not being able to use some privately owned chat place online rates as pretty miniscule. This however is a time where outrage and claiming being a victim continues to be fashionable on all the extreme sides.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 May 2018 at 9:44pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Rebecca, can you explain why Bagpuss was deemed
offensive? It was one of my favourite (and many other
Brit`s) kid`s shows!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 May 2018 at 10:01pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I think (I can only guess) that the word Bagpuss was somehow seen as a personally directed anti-female euphemism by people who didn't know (and didn't want to know) at all about the saggy cloth cat character. It was highlighted in the warning emails as 'offending', and from there if I typed the name again, even just to try to explain it, I was breaching rules of conduct. It was hard to believe, but thinking back there were people going on and on about pie who were talking about something other than pie (and maybe they are still there). I saw a lot of fairly bad behaviour, even veiled threats, nothing to do with me usually, and I was so sure I was innocent of course. I wouldn't stoop to reporting on others either so basically there was probably no way that forum could've worked out for me anyway.

Maybe it's lucky for me I didn't try to discuss another Brit puppet show: Michael Bentine's Potty Time... they might have come knocking at the door then! :^)
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2018 at 7:35am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Oh i get it now Rebecca, idiots seeing offence where
there is none! Oh well,i better not mention Muffin the
Mule they might think it`s a weird sexual practice!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version