Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4
Topic: "I’d Been Much Happier If She Stayed Dead." Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 May 2018 at 12:17pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Shooter seemed to fancy himself some kind of 'ideas' guy, and once he was editor-in-chief I guess he felt he had the right to force some/most of them? But I noticed where he was more directly involved as a writer you got a mess... unless others think that whole '70s Korvac arc in the Avengers was any good, I thought it was rotten and far too long, and had so many different artists coming and going between two runs of John Byrne. Then there that whole Secret Wars bunch of nothing taking place in a nothingverse, it must've driven Mike Zeck insane having to redraw things over and over at the last minute. Villains dressed like tennis players or janitors is what I think of too and of course 'let's kill _____'. :^(.

Now I think there were some good effects early on with Shooter at the top of coordinating events and having inventory stories instead of reprints or partial reprints, have to give credit for that, but then that stopped working out so well after awhile. :^(

Some people must've liked his 'style' though as Valiant comics seemed to do extremely well at first from what I heard, but I've never been tempted to check any of those out (talk about building on a line of mostly dated and second string characters/properties, and Magnus without Russ Manning is pointless).

Chris Claremont could've realized like Stan Lee that writing a bunch of titles he was bound to screw up... that's what no-prizes were about, when the fans have to bail you out with a passable explanation. His fixation for the Phoenix creation/entity might be because he had such a stake in that where with Jean Grey he didn't. I definitely saw Jean grey as good and the Phoenix thing as spinning out of control but for Jean, an also waxing and waning; that was even in some of the Cockrum issues I thought. I'll have to go and look at X-Men #105, 107, and Marvel Team-Up Annual #1 as at least I have those issues.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 4
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version