Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 11 Next >>
Topic: Forced Patriotism... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2018 at 6:24pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Ronald,

If there job is to "play football" what are they doing (being compelled) standing for the National Anthem?

Marc

I would gladly answer your question, but I'm not ashamed to admit...I don't quite understand it.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Mitch Denoyer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2018 at 6:28pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Why doesn’t the NBA and MLB have this problem?  Is the difference the fan base, the owners, the players, all three?
Back to Top profile | search

Michael Sommerville
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2018 at 6:36pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Lets get to the real NFL injustice, how they impose rules on cheerleaders on their personal lives not just work rules.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2018 at 6:40pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Lets get to the real NFL injustice, how they impose rules on cheerleaders on their personal lives not just work rules.

——

Or how the football fans will support NFL players who have been involved with domestic violence, but will lose their shit over someone who quietly kneels during a song.

Michael Sommerville
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2018 at 7:07pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I guess the "Song" is more than just a song for many. It is part of his or her upbringing and symbolizes the best about what being American is even with all it failings. I assume a majority of people connect with it, feel it is uplifting and something to rally around. Most do not see a negative surrounding the "song: 

Not everyone can connect with domestic violence even though it is a disgusting thing. People hide their head when it comes to something so incredibly harsh and negative. 

People watch mindless entertainment for escapism and the things they enjoy, eg. "the song", and to get away from real life. Sports is a part of that mindless entertainment. 

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2018 at 7:23pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I love how people cross their arms and declare "They're employees. Case closed." As if celebrity doesn't exist, or how profitable employees central to a business's success frequently negotiate specific preferable working conditions on their own terms in literally EVERY industry. Refusing to stand for the National Anthem is hardly the same as wearing bunny slippers into an office (making the very equivalence is far more clownish than what it tries to reduce the protest to). And btw many employers would situationally tolerate bunny slippers from effective employees.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2018 at 7:25pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

It does remind me a bit more of when the Marcos' ruled the Philippines. The report I heard said players who wouldn't stand could stay off the field until after the anthem. This seems to be owners trying to resolve a boycott among some of their paying audience last season more than anything.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2018 at 8:02pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I guess the "Song" is more than just a song for many. It is part of his or her upbringing and symbolizes the best about what being American is even with all it failings. I assume a majority of people connect with it, feel it is uplifting and something to rally around. Most do not see a negative surrounding the "song:

——

The Star-Spangled Banner is about the flag still flying above a fort after being bombarded during the War of 1812. An unpopular war that ended in a stalemate. Which some historians argue was an attempt by the US to annex Canada. That symbolizes the best about what being America is? You know what this country was founded on? Protest. There’s nothing that symbolizes America better than protest. 

If the song is so important, why do the same fans who complain about the players being disrespectful use that time to buy beer and nachos or hit the head?

I’m tired of people talking about how kneeling during a song disrespects the troops. My understanding is that service members take an oath to defend the Constitution. Which contains the First Amendment, which protects against government infringing on freedom of expression. Why doesn’t anyone think it’s disrespectful to the troops that the POTUS was putting pressure on the NFL to silence its players?

Christopher Frost
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2018 at 8:41pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I've never understood the need to play the national anthem at the start of sporting events anyway. It's pointless. They should just stop the practice of doing so and the whole mess goes away.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2018 at 8:49pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

My Catholic high school football coach led a prayer in the locker room before games and at half time, something I found breathtaking in both its pointlessness and its presumption.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2018 at 9:14pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

They could come out with some tea and then dump it!

My mother says they used to play God Save The King/Queen at the close of the movie at movie theaters in Canada in the late '40s and early '50s, and that her mother used to want to leave before that happened so they wouldn't get caught and have to stand until the tune was over. :^D

I always like the idea of a God that is watching and helping high school football games (too bad 'he' can't do something about concussions while he's there though). What a sport!

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2018 at 9:51pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

There is a part of me that likes the idea of an all-knowing, all-powerful God who can still let himself get into a football game enough to take a side.

<< Prev Page of 11 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version