Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Doomsday VS Juggernaut Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2018 at 4:11am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Doomsday VS Juggernaut. Who wins?

Juggernaut was a favourite of mine as a kid, both in look and power. I really was in awe of the idea of a being whose forward momentum was unstoppable. I'm surprised anyone ever beat him.

I've only read Doomsday's exploits in THE DEATH OF SUPERMAN arc. I've not seen subsequent appearances, but although perhaps not as unstoppable as Juggernaut, he was near-unstoppable. Any being who can do what he did to Superman is to be feared.

Now, I know Mr Eric Sofer, if he answers this, will claim that the true winner is the construction company contracted to repair the city, but who do you think will win? How would Doomsday's ability to regenerate/evolve new defences work against Juggernaut?

I am still going to give this victory to Juggernaut. He's probably smarter than Doomsday - and that forward momentum is just so bloody annoying to an opponent. 

Disclaimer: I am basing this on what I knew of the characters as read years ago. I know comic companies de-power or up-power characters, so I have no idea of their current levels. I'm thinking of Juggernaut in 70s/80s and Doomsday from 1993.

Edited by Robbie Parry on 09 June 2018 at 4:11am
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 June 2018 at 4:58am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Juggernaut is supernatural. That should beat everything.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2018 at 5:18am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Juggernaut was a favourite of mine as a kid, both in look and power. I really
was in awe of the idea of a being whose forward momentum was unstoppable.
I'm surprised anyone ever beat him.

I would have enjoyed seeing that character in the second DEADPOOL
movie.

Oh, and even though I'd want the Juggernaut to win, since Doomsday
actually "killed" Superman, he gets the nod.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 June 2018 at 5:23am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Because of his magical nature, Juggernaut would likely kill Superman a lot faster than Doomsday did.

(I should mention that I am no fan of either. They both look goofy to me, with the added element that I find Juggernaut difficult to draw.)

Laren Farmer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2018 at 7:01am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Juggernaut for a myriad of 'in-universe' reasons...plus the fact that he's an actual character and not a shallow plot device for a stupid marketing stunt.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2018 at 10:21am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I believe that the true winner is the construction company contracted to repair the city... oh, wait. :D :D :D

ITEM: First things first. I'm not sure that such a battle would ever end until the Earth was destroyed. From available evidence - namely that Doomsday was "killed" and the Juggernaut never has been - I'd go with the Juggernaut. As I consider this fight, I just can't think of any other criteria that would be of consideration.. 

ITEM: Did anyone ever notice that Doomsday started out as green (the jumpsuit) and then became gray? It sort of mirrored the evolution of the Hulk's look. It made me wonder if this was someone's idea at DC to pit Superman against the Hulk. I wonder that somebody at Marvel didn't see this and decide to put Gladiator or Wundarr/the Aquarian against the Hulk in a knock down drag out no holds barred battle.

ITEM: In Doomsday's first appearance, up until it "died", I saw nothing to indicate that it had adaptability powers. It didn't seem to need them! From what I saw, it was at least as strong as Superman, tougher than Superman, possessed of deadly sharp bone spikes, and indefatigable. As it was trapped in a buried cube, it obviously didn't need to breathe.

ITEM: How does the Juggernaut stop walking? NOTHING can stop the Juggernaut... including friction and gravity, maybe...?

ITEM: I think it would be relatively easy to stop either of them. You put a propulsion device right in the middle of their backs and blast them into orbit. I don't think that would kill either of them... but it would surely put them out of harm's way. During the Superman/Doomsday battle, Superman had it by the hair at one point, and I wondered, "Okay, throw it off the Earth and you've solved your problem." Of course, that wouldn't make a good story... not as good as "killing" Superman. 

TANGENT: Mr. Byrne did it far better when Superman battled the Silver Banshee, and so did Hamilton/Swan in the imaginary "The Death of Superman."

P.S. Robbie, I'm flattered that you think that highly of me! Thanks!

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2018 at 1:32pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Juggernaut has been a favorite of mine since I met him on SPIDER-MAN AND HIS AMAZING FRIENDS. 

Thomas Woods
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2018 at 1:50pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

It has never been stated, unless I missed it, that
Juggernaut has a weakness to metal, or unnatural metal.
But I started to notice every time he seems to feel
pain, or get injured, it was by metal objects. A magical
Axe (by that non Thor guy), Shatter Star's sword in the
eye, or Colossus punching him.

Most other instances showed him laugh off hits from the
Hulk, and other powerhouses.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2018 at 2:08pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

QUOTE:
Juggernaut has been a favorite of mine since I met him on SPIDER-MAN AND HIS AMAZING FRIENDS.

Same here. That was and is my favourite episode of Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends. Even if they did make Wolverine Australian.

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2018 at 2:41pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

My vote goes to Juggernaut as well. I think there should always be at least one villain "stronger" than the Hulk. Hulk's power creep is off the scale nowadays.

So in regards to Superman, if it's a toe-to-toe drag-out punch-fest, Juggernaut should win, because toe-to-toe drag-out punch-fests are Juggernaut's specialty. Superman's fly-to-space maneuver is his built-in "I win" cliche that he can use any time he wants. So I choose to ignore that for these match ups.

In regards to Doomsday, its the same result. IMO, Doomsday should be stronger than Superman. I don't think that has ever been claimed. I just like to think he is. But even so, Juggernaut should be able to out-punch the guy. But that should theoretically be the fight of the century.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2018 at 3:05pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

QUOTE:
Juggernaut has been a favorite of mine since I met him on SPIDER-MAN
AND HIS AMAZING FRIENDS.

That's where I first encountered him. "I'm coming for you, Xavier!"

If I were Superman going up against the Juggernaut, I might try using heat
vision on the ground at his feet or using super speed and strength to push him
from behind since it's his forward momentum that can't be stopped.

Laren Farmer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2018 at 1:52pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Reading this thread makes me want to see Juggernaut vs Captain Marvel (Billy Batson).  With the Captain being magical himself...plus having the wisdom of Solomon...he might have an easier route to victory than Superman would. 

On the other hand, if Juggernaut teamed up with Black Adam...wait...what if Adam stole the gem of Cytorrak for himself?  A Shazam-powered Juggernaut would be scary.  ..

Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version