Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 291 Next >>
Topic: Pencil Practice -- and Beyond! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2018 at 10:15am | IP Logged | 1  

That brings to mind something I’ve often mentioned in relation to the Thing, in particular: Stop and think about how many “normal” aspects of human life which we take for granted) that would be altered or impossible for a character like the Ben Grimm. 

Of course, in today’s climate, that sort of thinking would lead to stories about how Ben can’t have a normal sex life, or has trouble using toilet paper because the coarse texture of his skin-plates shreds it. These are not the sort of things which should ever see print, but they should inform how one writes a character like the Thing. Tragedy, pathos, drama!

It’s not an easy life for the Thing, or for mutants who can’t pass for human, like Nightcrawler.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2018 at 10:30am | IP Logged | 2  

I wouldn’t want to lose the rocky Ben Grimm I know and love, but
do consider the dinosaur hide Thing more monstrous!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2018 at 10:33am | IP Logged | 3  

Oh, and I really dig what JB is doing with panel placement and shapes.
It adds something to the power of the story.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2018 at 10:43am | IP Logged | 4  

" ...is that Dave intended Kurt's face to look always as if it was being lit from below...."

I didn't realize that's what I had been seeing all this time until I inked some of these. Then it clicked.

Love that last page!!
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 July 2018 at 10:53am | IP Logged | 5  

I feel like someone is going to pinch me and I will wake up! This is more than could be wished for. Thanks JB.

•••

I hope you all realize I will be DOUBLING your JBF membership fees!

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2018 at 10:56am | IP Logged | 6  

The check is in the mail. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Richard Stevens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2018 at 10:57am | IP Logged | 7  

I wonder if people forgetting Kurt's furry reality has to do with Mystique. They looked similar on the page back then, but the colors folks had to work with were pretty limited! I'll stop drifting and go back to enjoying the pages.

Darren Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2018 at 10:58am | IP Logged | 8  

I hope you all realize I will be DOUBLING your JBF membership fees! -JB

Worth it! And more chief...sincerely.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 July 2018 at 11:09am | IP Logged | 9  

Just googling some of Dave's model sheets. Gotta love 'em! But this is why Dave had trouble with deadlines: he was constantly doing something else!

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2018 at 11:25am | IP Logged | 10  

Okay... this is really becoming way too FUN!!! I feel spoiled and.... I don't want this to end!!! DOUBLE-SIZED ISSUE indeed!!!

Seriously, I'm especially glad JB is having fun with this "exercise" too! I was getting worried these past few months!!

Beautiful pencils on page 7... and love the panel layout as well!! Loved the dynamic you set up between Kitty and Kurt all those years ago and wish it had continued for awhile.

-C!

Edited by Charles Valderrama on 14 July 2018 at 11:26am

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2018 at 12:04pm | IP Logged | 11  

JB said, "googling some of Dave's model sheets"

I didn't realize Dave referred to Nightcrawler as "Nightie" until I found that sheet. The year on that sheet is 76. What a great year to be 7 years old. =)

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2018 at 12:14pm | IP Logged | 12  

Wow, I love this falling sequence page best! That is exactly how Nightcrawler should appear, and his sadness was poignant, a rare enough thing in comics which gave The Thing so much appeal and longevity!

"I don't think the little fraulien likes me" is a thought I remember a brooding Nightcrawler having in an early Kitty/Sprite appearance. Somehow by #153 she was telling an over-the-top cutesy bedtime story starring the "fuzzy elf", an all-time low issue for me.

I bought the 'Untold Phoenix' special back when that came out but I will never buy a new copy, nor that What If where she destroys the universe. I'm glad to know the actual story behind the thanking your adversary panel... full credit to Terry Austin for the background drawing though, Colossus looks quite expressively apprehensive about what's coming!

I hope this isn't over-thinking, but this could at least be an issue in an alternate world between X-Men #145-150 where Cyclops has returned but Sprite is still pretty new, or even Annual #5. If it were Annual #4 there'd have to be a Cyclops returning scene someplace, probably if it were #145 too. I can't see any reason to not have #144, but starting with #145 things took a bad turn to me. As much as I like Dave Cockrum and the Starjammers, his second run was a mess, though mostly story-wise... too jokey at times, Kitty pretending to be Phoenix, and then later in the two book Starjammers Professor X as "Bald Phoenix" in that same costume? Gack, that almost ruined those. Off the top of their heads 'wouldn't it be cute' stuff, no thanks! If the straighter #151 and 152 hadn't come along, and the X-Men graphic novel, I would have quit buying the title. #145-150, 154-158, 161-164 had fewer good moments than 'what the @#$%^&*! are they doing' and 'why are they doing this' ones? Thanks to the invest in a case lot thing, it may've looked to the company it was doing great though. :^(

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 14 July 2018 at 12:17pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

<< Prev Page of 291 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version