Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 291 Next >>
Topic: Pencil Practice -- and Beyond! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2018 at 9:47am | IP Logged | 1  

You have always been a master of subplots, long and short. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 18 July 2018 at 10:30am | IP Logged | 2  

Not happy with the faces in the last panel. Also. some bits of perspective are off on the house. Some tweaking required!

Caption at upper left: "Those aren't birds...!"

This is Jean with the intellect of a five year old. The toy bird's wings are flapping.

Back to Top profile | search

Darren Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2018 at 10:35am | IP Logged | 3  

This is amazing. I have goosebumps! 

What an awesome page. I have always preferred seeing 'regular' pages to 'superhero action' pages.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2018 at 10:38am | IP Logged | 4  

Same here, Darren. The "regular" pages not only look great, but make the
"superhero action" seem even more powerful!
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 18 July 2018 at 10:40am | IP Logged | 5  

The "regular" pages help to keep me honest! I can cheat like crazy on weird machines and cosmic vistas, but when it comes to somebody's living room...

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 18 July 2018 at 10:49am | IP Logged | 6  

Just realized, based on the cover date, December, next month may be the 41st anniversary of X-MEN 108 hitting the stands!

Phil Southern
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2018 at 11:31am | IP Logged | 7  

I can't remember the last time I read an X-Men comic that had normal people, supporting cast members, talking to one another with natural expressions.  I sometimes feel like I just don't like comics anymore, but then something like this comes along and makes me feel...happy? Is that what that feeling is? Thanks for doing this!

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2018 at 11:33am | IP Logged | 8  

In a choice between John Byrne X-Men from say the original #137 onward and all the mess that did come after the published #137... however many hundreds of comics those are... I'd go with the former over the latter. And yes, I was 12 in 1980. :^) If I write something that makes him think I'm a hopeless dumbass or intolerable that will still stand. I am pretty verbose and long-winded... and I am about to go there again, and hoping for some indulgence again too.

I really don't know what it was but Claremont did go haywire where I usually enjoyed his work before with Ms. Marvel and Spider-Woman as well as the X-Men, I began to dread what is he going to do now? There would be awful cutesy bits that would really undermine the whole thing for me, or that whole smirkingly decadent strain of wicked sex thing supposing to be sophisticated but really just the author's entertaining himself and not advancing a story or defining character. I wasn't sure if some of the cutesy stuff wasn't Dave Cockrum's influence, the 'wouldn't it be cool to' throw this or that in without long-term thought. His art was very consistent on his second run where in the first with all the different inkers it was fairly up and down, the Starjammers carried about three issues, you could tell he was enjoying having them in there, but Kitty impersonating Phoenix was particularly bad, and the majority of stories so often felt like filler and killing time (the graphic novel started by Neal Adams and finished instead by Brent Anderson and two fill-in issues where Emma Frost's Academy gets Kitty were the best). After Cockrum left again there were few good issues here and there, another bad attempt to bring back Phoenix and Mastermind which he should've paid for what he'd done by remaining a vegetable I think. Alan Davis had some moments much much later, but that's about it. I have no use for the rest. The number of worth having later X-Men I've seen or have is probably still less than the 22 Hidden Years and one preview. That's not brown-nosing at all. I wanted some of those later comics by others to be good, the Cockrum '80s run could've been great, I like his own Futurians a lot, but mostly they just weren't.

I defintely have some worries about adult superheroes 'dealing' with adult concerns and content explicitly. I also hate when they go to the other extreme and get overly cutesy and silly in ways that undermines the whole thing. I don't have any such problems with any Byrne comics that I can think of, that's why I started looking for them specifically like a brand of a certain quality of care, attention, thoughtfulness, and just enjoyment. Basically like Carl Barks! That might seem strange to some but racking my memory for comparable other comic creators that's the best match to me.

Okay, I've sucked up the space and air too much, back to enjoying.... and the 'lobotomized' Jean Grey (if she would be in this world) I would be hoping the best for, and no black corsets or songs of power within her... it brings up emotions to see that which I'll have to think about.

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 18 July 2018 at 11:51am
Back to Top profile | search | www

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2018 at 11:42am | IP Logged | 9  

Continuing to love this project. The image of Jean is... heart breaking.

uko smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2018 at 11:58am | IP Logged | 10  

Amazing page! Your perspective work alongside Syd Mead has always attracted me to learning how to be better at it.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Larry Gil
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2018 at 12:01pm | IP Logged | 11  

41 years since X-men 108...I still remember picking up that issue and seeing JB's art for the first time . I was blown away as I was a fan of Cockrum but this was even better. (my opinion)

JB, again,  thank-you so much for doing this . It sure brings me back.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 18 July 2018 at 12:06pm | IP Logged | 12  

Your perspective work alongside Syd Mead...

•••

Well, I can just die and go to heaven now!

<< Prev Page of 291 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version