Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: The Path(s) Not Taken Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 June 2018 at 11:44am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I find myself wondering how much of my life history has to stay exactly the same in order for me to end up in the here and now.

Obviously, the biggie is my parents decision to leave England. I can barely imagine what would have happened without that. Would I have followed my Dad into town planning? Would I have become a second rate Brian Bolland? (Well, I did that anyway!)

Back to Top profile | search

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 June 2018 at 11:49am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

It is an interesting question, one that I imagine can be broken down into many different ways.

One hears from, say, people who got fired from a job, but then that indirectly led them to self-employment; one hears from those who stayed in a job for 20-30 years, but then wondered what would have happened had they taken that gap year; and one wonders if things would have ended up the same way, but with a different route.

You'll know your own little paths/deviations (it's interesting what you say about whether you'd have followed your dad into town planning). It does seem, with the benefit of hindsight, to envision a certain path if things had been different, but would the destination been the same, anyway, just in a longer and more indirect way?

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 June 2018 at 12:31pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

If it weren't for Hitler I wouldn't even exist. :^(

My father and his mother left Holland after WWII when she married a Dutch-Canadian sharpshooter who was part of the liberation. I'm not sure if there was any great reason for my mother's side to leave Yorkshire a few years before the 'Great War', just second and third sons who didn't have enough for them there but there was land in Canada being promoted heavily.

I think some things that were near misses for me went the way they did for good reason. I used to have a begrudging that boys have support and connections made for them to have 'careers' and I definitely never had anyone but one Godmother show much interest in anything I ever did or wanted to do... but then some famous musicians had parents that told them they were wasting their time and should become an apprentice at something real, like John Lennon. Then again maybe he'd be alive and with an accountancy firm in Wirral right now.

I had ambitions actively sabotaged a few times but if I had wanted something enough I might have overcome that, I might have gone without all sleep to hold down three jobs at once somehow to make one work out where it ended that I simply couldn't cope and crashed, might have bought that floppy disc I needed but was stolen from my locker and rewritten all my programming work on it back in 1982 and be fabulously wealthy now with computer graphics degrees. I'm alright where I am, might not have met my BF, might not have my parents close in my life still (and I think I saved them once each as they saved me a couple times).

Over-thinking again. I just like to think and enjoy being 'set off' actually. If I wanted or want now to do something the only thing stopping me ultimately is me. Lucky breaks, opportunities, are real, but I don't begrudge anyone them. I've had my share and my share of the flip-side of bad breaks too.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 June 2018 at 12:39pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Well, certainly if it wasn't for Hiroshima and Nagasaki I probably wouldn't be here!

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 June 2018 at 1:08pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

My mom and dad moved back to their hometown when I was almost six. My life would be drastically different if they had decided to stay in Nashville. 

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 June 2018 at 1:16pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

So many paths! 

Back in the 90s I had a job offer to teach at the law school of UC Berkeley. Had I taken up that offer, I would not have married my wife and none of my kids would exist and... and... that's enough of a change from what happened, for sure. Would anybody today be wishing me a Happy Father's Day?

Earlier than that, fresh out of law school, I was working for one of -- yeesh -- Trump's main attorneys, but I couldn't stomach the place, so I quit. Gave up what would've been a major paycheck in exchange for sanity.

Then there was the time when I was 6 years old and a strange car stopped in front of our driveway, the door opened, and a voice from the darkness invited me in for candy, and I moved toward the door... when suddenly I was yanked back, thrown to ground, and after only remember my older brother yelling for me to run into the house.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 June 2018 at 8:29pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Let me just postulate something here.

You were born in West Brom. Your dad was a town planner & you were wondering whether you might follow him there. Suppose you didn’r Move & worked for Sandwell or Walsall councils.

I could be living in a town where JB might have had a part in designing the plan. Bet it would have looked better than it does now. Just saying
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 June 2018 at 10:11pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Rebecca wrote:
If it weren't for Hitler I wouldn't even exist. :^(

Same here! I sometimes say to people half-jokingly that I owe my life to Hitler, which sometimes provokes confused reactions - but technically it's absolutely true, and it does illustrate the Butterfly Effect in action.

I've told the story before here, but my grandfather on my mother's side was a US soldier stationed in Eastern Europe during WWII, where he met my Hungarian grandmother in a labor camp. The rest is (my) history.

Edited by Vinny Valenti on 17 June 2018 at 10:11pm

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 June 2018 at 3:47am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

When i was 15, i got a Saturday/after school job in a
butcher`s shop to earn money for records, comics and a
new bike.I met my wife in that job, 37 years later we
are still happily together.I wonder if i had got a paper
round instead, where i would be now?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 June 2018 at 5:44am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

About six months before I met my wife, I was a content bachelor who was enjoying not being tied down to one woman and figured that was where I was happy. As I was getting a little burned out, a co-worker said she had just met the "perfect girl" for me in a class she was taking. She had found the perfect girl for me before and I never took her up on it because I'm not a proponent of getting set up by friends. A month prior, I'd have turned her down again but this time I took her up on it and we're now preparing for our tenth anniversary and we have a beautiful seven year-old daughter. My wife is not even what I would have called my "type" back then so I wouldn't have even considered approaching her on my own. That decision that could only have been made at that specific moment has given me the life that I love.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 18 June 2018 at 6:33am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I've often wondered how different my life would have been if my family had moved to the US, instead of Canada. Very real probability that I would have no life at all, of course. Little thing called Vietnam.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 June 2018 at 6:41am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Maybe you would've ended up in Canada anyway...?!

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version