Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: JB accused of being misogynous? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2018 at 11:59am | IP Logged | 1  

So i've read the Kindle version of "Alien Spotlight Romulans" and I must say that i really enjoyed it, I didn't find it misogynist and thought the characters well thought out and lifelike, especially the dynamics within the commander's family, I don't know how anyone could find any sexism in lady Arenn as she is simply a good mother and wife, caring for her husband and son, what kind of shrieking harpy do you need to be to object to such a thing. Also the male characters are never seen mistreating the female characters, so I really do not get what the author's problem is, perhaps I might see what she is ovulating about once I have read the other comics, but I do not think so, and I am very excited to see how to develop Star Trek without being limited by Roddenberry's concept. 
Back to Top profile | search

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2018 at 12:06pm | IP Logged | 2  

I couldn't make it through the whole thing. I almost closed the browser on the first use of 'tatas' but I soldiered on. But then it cropped up again, and alas, I could take no more.

The author of the piece is all for artistic expression, you understand, but how dare women be drawn in dresses!

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2018 at 12:10pm | IP Logged | 3  

QUOTE:
what kind of shrieking harpy do you need to be to object to such a thing. Also the male characters are never seen mistreating the female characters, so I really do not get what the author's problem is, perhaps I might see what she is ovulating about once I have read the other comics, but I do not think so

Err... I don’t feel JB is being misogynistic, but this definitely is, and you are doing him no favors attacking his critics in this manner. 

Thomas Woods
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2018 at 12:57pm | IP Logged | 4  

Are all creators doomed to be analysed for diversity
from now on?
Back to Top profile | search | www

Robbie Moubert
Byrne Robotics Member
Evertonian

Posted: 22 June 2018 at 1:28pm | IP Logged | 5  

What a load of old bollocks that was!

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2018 at 1:32pm | IP Logged | 6  

I don't have a short attention span - I'm 400 pages into a 700+ page book about MI5 - but I didn't have the stamina to get through even a third of that article.

I'll follow the topic and comment if relevant, but I really couldn't make out where it was going. Not for me!

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2018 at 1:40pm | IP Logged | 7  

Give slack, get slack?

People flipping their wigs over every possible bias or slight, past and present, and equating it to Bill Cosby or death camps is plain unbalanced. I always liked the women in John Byrne comics and many of them on Star Trek. I could relate to them and they were sexy without being ridiculous. I would think men might have a case against some of these artists that portray men as grotesquely muscled angry freaks and little more than women would take offense from Uhura in a short skirt, Roberta Lincoln being scatterbrained in character, or the Black Queen Jean Grey being sexy!

Now, I took offense at so many female characters I liked in comics being killed at one time, but the one that might be seen to have started it, Phoenix, made sense as a story, where the others were often just for sales I think. I didn't really wonder if it was an anger at women type of thing until maybe the fifth or six example of it within a few short years. I can see Frank Miller and Alan Moore as maybe showing some of that, but I can't know for sure. Writers are often accused of tormenting their characters anyway, especially in melodrama forms, and if the one subjected to the drama is one you relate to you could take it personally.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 June 2018 at 1:43pm | IP Logged | 8  

You all know what pareidolia is, right? Seeing faces where none exist? In clouds, wood grain, stains, etc.

There is a form of this that exists in some "reviewers". Having chosen the crux of their diatribe, they then find abundant evidence of same, whether it exists or not. Sad thing is, on the disinformation highway, many will accept such drivel without doing research of their own, and thus the drivel is transformed into concrete.

Steven McCauley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2018 at 1:47pm | IP Logged | 9  

JB is one of the few writers I have ever encountered that is able to capture the feeling of "watching" an episode of Star Trek on the printed page.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2018 at 2:47pm | IP Logged | 10  

Robbie Moubert,you took the words right out of my mouth!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Joe Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2018 at 2:51pm | IP Logged | 11  

We could create a Sticky called "JB Accused of:"

The internet is the back-tits of the World Wide Web.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2018 at 3:54pm | IP Logged | 12  

I would vote no to such a sticky, Joe. These kind of critics already get more attention than they warrant.

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version