Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: DC is "Going" to WALMART Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 28 June 2018 at 10:43am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

It's staggering to compare print and sales numbers across the years.

•••

This is where the DSM really had an impact. Publishers no longer had to print 400,000 copies in the hopes of selling 250,000.

Back to Top profile | search

Eric Kleefeld
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 June 2018 at 10:54am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

The goal shouldn't be to make stuff "for kids," nor for supposedly "mature" audiences.

Some of the finest entertainment, and definitely successful in the marketplace and the wider culture, is genuinely all-ages.

I first got into comics reading Marv Wolfman's Titans stuff. Kids could read it, and older readers could appreciate a lot, too.

The crossover with Batman, "A Lonely Place of Dying," which introduced Tim Drake, was a brilliant exploration of such topics as grief, the process of growing up, and our emotional need for one another.

The difference between comics now, and comics back then: In the classic story "The Judas Contract," Wolfman and Perez did everything but outright tell you that Deathstroke, a man in his 50s, was having sex with his teenage accomplice Terra. Nowadays, they would probably depict a villain doing that on camera.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 June 2018 at 11:15am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I'm in favor of getting more comics into more places. Wal-Mart is one of the most-visited retail operations on Earth; one might think they can move comics if they want to do that.

Much as I have always enjoyed going to my local comics shops, it would have been better if they'd stayed what they were meant to be: a place to get back issues, rather than a Wednesday must-visit.

Eric Kleefeld
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 June 2018 at 11:27am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

This is obviously a response to Marvel's partnership with Archie, to put digest-size collections alongside with Archie fare wherever the latter is sold.

It sure is nice to see the "100-PAGE GIANT" masthead again.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 June 2018 at 5:12pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I checked one of the local Wal-Marts the other night and they didn't have any yet. I think anything that gets comics in more accessible venues where kids might have a chance to get them is a good thing. Any comic shop owner that has a problem with this is being extremely short-sighted. The comics reading audience is not getting any younger and really needs to be if comics are to have any future at all. I realize it's frustrating that these titles are exclusive to Wal-Mart but it was probably the only way to get Wal-Mart to sign the deal. 

Jason Ditzel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2018 at 11:58am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Publishers printed 400000. Sold 250000. How much money did they 'save' on not printing those 150000 returned issues? I thought that when you had a printing press set up for a run, the cost of each additional item printed is very small.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 June 2018 at 4:48pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I don't understand your question.

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2018 at 5:45pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

The goal shouldn't be to make stuff "for kids," nor for supposedly "mature" audiences.

Some of the finest entertainment, and definitely successful in the marketplace and the wider culture, is genuinely all-ages.

Eric, most current editors and creators these days either don't know how to make all ages comics or are unwilling to try and make all ages comics. Hell, most of them don't even know the definition of "all ages". They think that "all ages" means "dumbed and watered down" stories aimed at kids between the ages of 4 to 8.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 July 2018 at 10:54am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Found all four of the first issues at my local Walmart and picked them up for my son. There was only one copy of the Teen Titans one left but there were at least 4 or 5 of the Batman, Superman, and Justice League ones. Unless they have more stock in the back there seems to be a really limited amount of these in stock and the display is tiny and hard to find. At my local store they were by the Pokemon card displays close to the self checkout.

Edited by Shane Matlock on 02 July 2018 at 11:46am

Jason Ditzel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 July 2018 at 12:45pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

JB: It seems to me like the publishers would want to sell as many units as possible in as many different locations as possible. At least of the big name mainstream titles even if they have to take the returns. The returned comics are just a cost of doing business if they sell hundreds of thousands of copies, no?

William Costello
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 July 2018 at 2:55pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

- - - and now someone is trying to sell them on eBay  - -  - wouldn't you know it.)

DC’s Walmart $5 100-Page Anthologies Selling for Up to $23 on eBay (Rich Johnston)

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 July 2018 at 3:08pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

William:  - - - and now someone is trying to sell them on eBay  - -  - wouldn't you know it.)

---

Seems ok to me. 

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version