Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 2
Topic: Old vs. New Spidey Cover Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 July 2018 at 6:43pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

In the thread here on Byrnerobotics titled "PENCIL PRACTICE" we see different inkers try their hand at inking John Byrne's pencil drawings. Each has quite different styles that have differing levels of 'success'.
Not good or bad, different.

Sometimes certain inkers are not a good match for certain pencillers.

Bottom line is we don't know what SIZE the original artwork was*, and we don't know if Romita or Autin knew this piece would be used for a published comicbook cover*.

*(because scaling down large artwork tightens up the linework.)

*(because they each may have used a different technique if the intent was commission versus published cover.)

Back to Top profile | search

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 July 2018 at 7:07pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

The pinup turned cover is a 7.5  by 11 inch piece of vellum. The art for the cover of Spider-Man 112 is on 11 by 17 inch bristol. The size is different, the surface of each paper behaves differently with ink and the cover was shot down before going on a cover quite a bit more than the pinup. My guess is that Terry Austin inked on vellum to preserve the original sketch, but that is an assumption. I would aslo hazard to guess Mr. Austin used the same tool, perhaps a pentel pen or a similar ink pen to ink the pinup. This means there is much less variety of line weights and variation in the art because maybe a single tool was used to ink it. Just compare the feathering on Spider-Man in the 112 cover art to the feathering on the pinup. One has lines that go from very think weights to very sharp points. The other cannot achieve these same types of effects. There are a number of factors that contribute to the look of each piece of art. So many in fact that comparing them and with the same set of expectations folly. I think you brought up a great question, Karl, but perhaps you didn't quite understand the factors influencing each piece of art. Comparing these pieces of art is like comparing a con sketch with cover art in many ways.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 July 2018 at 7:13pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I think you're burying the lead here.  Let's phrase it as--"Look at this awesome cover that an 88-year-old drew!"  It's much better than the current crop of Marvel artists could do.

While it's a little weird to put Terry Austin inking John Romita pencils (two totally different art styles), the final product worked out better than I would have expected.

That Spider-Man pose is especially good!  Classic and iconic, but just different enough that I haven't seen it before.  (Look at the hands!  Great!)  That's something I might expect to see on a t-shirt at some point.

I agree though with the comments about the coloring not helping and also that, if it started as a con sketch/fan commission, it's likely that it was originally drawn smaller than the (likely) 11 x 17 in. of the older cover.  Any perceived drop in quality or detail can probably be attributed to that.  (A true comparison would be to look at a new 11 x 17 in. Romita original.)

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 July 2018 at 7:15pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Hah!  I was writing the same thing about size when Eric Ladd was writing the exact info!

Steve Gumm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 July 2018 at 7:18pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

You can see the commission that has been turned into this cover as well as a bit of it's history in the description on comicartfans.com:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=1225083
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Karl Wiebe
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 July 2018 at 7:36pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Eric Ladd you said that I probably didn't understand the factors influencing each piece of art.  You are totally right!!  That is exactly why I was asking.  These answers are great--I knew that something was different but this is not my specialty so I appreciate you guys sharing the wisdom.  Lots of great comments here.   

Edited by Karl Wiebe on 12 July 2018 at 7:49pm

david noonan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 July 2018 at 10:54pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Thanks for the link, Steve Gumm! I also read reef salt reviews.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 12 July 2018 at 11:36pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I guess I'm weird, but I'm just hung up on the $5.99 price.  Is this a hundred page comic?  Even then, I just bought a 500 page nonfiction book for less than $6. It was new, not used. The prices these days for new comics is, I'm sorry, astronomical.  Even if I didn't give up on mainstream comics nearly a decade ago because they didn't speak to me, now I'd have to give them up due to price.  YIKES!

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2018 at 1:00am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Now that Matt mentioned the price, that's all I see too!

But I would add that John Romita is one of those artists whose work suits one inker far above all others -- and that inker is John Romita.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2018 at 6:27am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

QUOTE:
Romita's pencils and Austin's inks don't make for a good blend.

Size of the original art aside, I don't care for the matchup of pencil and inker
here either. Still, it looks better than a lot of what I see out there these days.

Edited by Wallace Sellars on 13 July 2018 at 6:27am
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2018 at 6:39am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I have only two issues with it.

1) I don't care for the Romita/ Austin matching. Terry just isn't someone I would think of to ink Sr. ( I have quite enjoyed when he's inked Jr, however.)

2) Venom's chest emblem only has 6 legs.

Jeffrey Rice
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2018 at 5:45pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

This is a problem with many recent variant covers. Recolored art taken out of original context, or in this case, what looks like an impromptu sketch turned into a full-blown cover. There is no way that Jazzy John had any intention of that sketch becoming a cover, let alone for a new #1. 

Edited by Jeffrey Rice on 13 July 2018 at 8:14pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version