Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: Collecting Original Art Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2018 at 1:43am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I was scanning through Heritage Auctions website and drooling over some original Silver Age art pages.  I know original art is expensive, but wow some of the pages go for $17,000 or $35,000 or even $80,000!  I understand movie stars or big-time iinvestment bankers or CEOs buying the really really expensive stuff.  But what I noticed is that there are hundreds of pages that sell for around $8,000 to $20,000 each.  So with the volume that sells every months, regular joes are buying at least some (or most) of this artwork. 

My question is: what is the average guy doing with this artwork?  Are they hanging it on a wall in their house?  Is it insured?  Do people have safes or vaults?  No I am not planning on cat burglaring, I am thinking that if I won the lottery and bought an $80,000 Jack Kirby cover, I would be terrified of it being stolen or damaged.  No judgement here, just honestly wondering logistically how do people curate really expensive art pages?
Back to Top profile | search

Brennan Voboril
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2018 at 4:55am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Imagine, like any art that is worth a great deal of money, they insure them.  I saw one guy - Jonathan Ross the British TV star - who had all of his (and he had a LOT, from the stuff he had it looked like it would bring in over a million easy) in an office room.  All of them were framed but not all were hung on the walls.  He kept them in files along the floor of his office, or just stacked.  

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 July 2018 at 5:40am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Insurance just makes sense, but it's not like insuring a car or even a house. If the car is destroyed, it can be replaced. Art can not.

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2018 at 6:05am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I don't have any $80,000 pieces in my collection but
altogether I have a lot of money wrapped up in my art.
I do have it insured. Like JB said, it couldn't be
replaced but if something happened to it at least I'd
get a nice check to move forward with.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Jason K Fulton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2018 at 6:45am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I have everything professionally framed and then hang the art on my walls. Its neat having bits of my childhood hanging up there. And you get to see bits of the art that just don't come through on the printed page. I wish I had a better scanner, I have a few of JB's FF pages that look like he used 4-5 different tools on them.

I think the most I've payed for a page at this point is around $9,000? I've only been collecting for a few years. It seems like the pricing on JB FF pages has gone up a little, but I'm entirely at the mercy of the person selling the one of a kind item.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 July 2018 at 7:39am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I have a few of JB's FF pages that look like he used 4-5 different tools on them.

••

I probably did. My normal process, back then, was to pencil the page, then ink everything that required one tool, then everything that required another, and so on. Kind of an assembly line process, only I was the assembly line!

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2018 at 12:53pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I have a bunch of my collection hanging in my home office. 

John Cole
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2018 at 7:49am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I Have three protfoloios filled with the original art I've been acquiring for the last decade or so.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 July 2018 at 9:13am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I have a couple of portfolios holding the more light-sensitive pieces, but most are up on the walls of my Studio, behind UV block glass.

Jason K Fulton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2018 at 10:11am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Just saw this scan over at CAF:

Things like Leland's hair in panel one, or Wolverine's leg in panel three - is that from aging?

Also a good example of pricing - someone just paid $30k for that page, and is now flipping it on the auction market.

Edit: Here's a link to the CAF page, if anyone is inclined to look at a larger scan / read the wording on the side of the page.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=1485590

Edited by Jason K Fulton on 16 July 2018 at 10:12am

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 July 2018 at 10:16am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Likely Terry inked that page at least partly with a felt tip.

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2018 at 10:28am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I have three JB pieces - all bought thru Jim Warden. And three Sal Buscema pieces, two bought thru his brokers, one on eBay.

They ranged in price from around 50 bucks up to several hundred. 

All of these are framed and hung on my basement wall. UV glass (or plexiglass), acid free backing and matting.

I don't have them insured, specifically, but I did ask my insurance company if they would be covered under my homeowner's policy, and they said yes. I can't imagine allowing any other damage coming to them that wouldn't also be catastrophic to my home. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version