Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Now You Can Make Marvel Comics Without Working For Marvel Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2018 at 3:59pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

At least Cap's still got his wings there.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2018 at 4:14pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Anybody always could make comics with Marvel characters, all they wanted, it's only ever been a question of if you were to sell them would Marvel step in and want a piece or shut you down. Obviously lots of fanzines, including professional for-profit ones, have images of the Marvel characters, often original to them, for covers and pin-ups etc. so long as they carry their copyright for Marvel. Anyone has been able to sell their own artwork/prints/portfolios or re-sell others' artwork made with the characters, or for the company but released by them, for whatever the market will bear.

There have been hybrid crossovers between Marvel and DC and other companies, and third publisher reprints of material originally made for Marvel, such as foreign editions. I'm thinking some of the hybrid amalgam and Peter Porker Spider-Ham sorts of things are probably even less 'official' though than say Spidey Super Stories was. So if they are allowing more non-official versions from other publishers I am just going to yawn and not panic, sorry. They're all imaginary stories ultimately, and seriously trying to make every little particle jibe with every other is a ticket to either nuttyville or the poor house. Don't buy/support what you don't like or agree with.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2018 at 4:42pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I could be wrong, but I think that this new line of all ages Marvel comics from IDW is nothing more than an adaption or tie in to the current and upcoming animated Marvel TV series. Since these comic book adaptions of the cartoons don't sell Marvel most likely decided to just license them out to another publisher.
Back to Top profile | search

William Costello
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2018 at 6:55pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Rick Whiting: "Since these comic book adaptions of the cartoons don't sell Marvel most likely decided to just license them out to another publisher."

I would agree - MARVEL (the comic publishing arm) doesn't seem to want to publish that many "kids only" comics. I do see the magazine sized MARVEL ADVENTURES at Stop and Shop sometimes, but I don't think MARVEL Comics Publishing itself publishes any "kids only" comics these days.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2018 at 8:47pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Whatever they've been doing with the super characters that's not suitable for kids I might not want to know about really. There's something about serious super character comics for adults (restricted ratings and all) that feels to me something akin to seeing a death of Popeye! Or Tarzan gets an STD! Alan Moore, Frank Miller, Chris Claremont.... did they really inspire such a monster where the majority of superhero comics are not suitable for (hopefully smart) kids now??? Are comics now some strange underground hybrid collectable thing and not an inviting accessible form of entertainment?

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 18 July 2018 at 8:48pm

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2018 at 9:21pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I would agree - MARVEL (the comic publishing arm) doesn't seem to want to publish that many "kids only" comics.

William the problem comes down to Marvel (as well as DC and a lot of fans) wrongly thinking that "all ages" means "for kids only" or "kiddy comics". Hence why they put out garbage like the Marvel Age/Adventures line of books that are aimed solely at kids and talks down to their intended audience. Most of the editors and creators who are currently working at Marvel wrongly think that the CCA approved all ages Marvel superhero comics that they read as kids from the 60's,70's,80's,and 90's were not "all ages" comics and were not suitable for kids. They think that those comics (which were written in layers so that they could appeal to readers of all ages on many different levels) were written for and aimed solely at teens and adults. This is why you have people like Quesada making asinine ignorant statements like saying that "the Dark Phoenix Saga was not suitable for kids" or that "8 year olds never read comics".

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 July 2018 at 10:35am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

...the problem comes down to Marvel (as well as DC and a lot of fans) wrongly thinking that "all ages" means "for kids only" or "kiddy comics".

•••

A bigger problem lies in so many fans and publishers thinking superheroes are "adults only". Once that corner is turned, it's very hard to come back.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2018 at 11:10am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

We've robbed later generations of something we valued. Some people can't look back on the old John Forte drawn (pre-Jim Shooter) Legion Of Super-Heroes comics and admit they enjoyed them or not make fun of them. Some people can't feel satisfied enjoying a well-drawn lightweight historically unimportant Archie comic, or being seen with a Godzilla comic in their hand at a check out line. As an adult I can enjoy Beatrix Potter books if I want to, even if they aren't Dostoevsky's Crime & Punishment (although Osamu Tezuka did a comic adaption of that if people want it).

1950s E.C.s were fairly adult, had some great art, and they still hold up... but you'll have to notice there weren't a lot of primary colored skin-tight costumes and super-powers in them, or talking animals wearing clothes.

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2018 at 8:14pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

A bigger problem lies in so many fans and publishers thinking superheroes are "adults only". Once that corner is turned, it's very hard to come back.

Sadly JB, that is very true. Even worse, that kind of selfish thinking has also moved over to Hollywood.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2018 at 10:05pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Wait, what do you mean by "Hollywood"?  Because the Marvel movies at least are mostly family-friendly--I wouldn't have trouble showing any of the MCU movies to a 12-year-old.  And there's the irony--Marvel STUDIOS has learned all the lessons that Marvel COMICS seems to have forgotten!  In fact, the MCU seems to be following pretty much the same pattern that Stan Lee laid down in the 60's--roll out each strong creation one by one, give them the best writers and "artists" (directors and actors) you've got available to you, tell a solid story for each hero/es but leave room for crossover appearances (when it's fun!), and each hero just seems like an actually good and likable person.

Edited by Eric Jansen on 19 July 2018 at 10:06pm

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2018 at 10:26pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

And with the family-friendly versions of super-heroes making literally billions of dollars for the MCU (and hopefully WONDER WOMAN will teach DC how to make a fun, smart, family-friendly movie too), I am still amazed that nobody has really tried to duplicate the classic Marvel and DC comic book model, if only for the eventual cinematic payday.

I remember when Cross-Gen came around, they put a lot of thought into what was missing from the comic industry at the time.  They settled on fantasy, which, right or wrong, showed they at least had a plan.  (And I assert that their eventual failure was expanding too quickly.)  Malibu also had a plan (really, two or three plans).  And both of these did pretty well for a time.  But they weren't exactly classic DC or Marvel.

When Image started, THEY were going to be the new THIRD company!  Sure, there was Archie, Dark Horse, and things like First, Eclipse, and Pacific, but none of those tried to be the third super-hero universe.  (Well, Archie tried decades earlier and Dark Horse would try later, but not with smart all-ages stuff.)  Image may have fallen apart later and settled into being another publisher of independent comics, but I can't tell you how much excitement was in the air when Image began, with its six big creators and their (initial) six new super characters/teams.  It was like we were going to be in on the ground floor of something new, like Marvel in the 60's!

A third company with family-friendly (not kiddy) super-heroes produced by clean and clear artists like Kerry Gammill and Tom Grummett (and JB and Perez, if they were so inclined), would soon be a major force.  An investor with a few million to invest would probably pull in his first billion within ten years.

Edited by Eric Jansen on 19 July 2018 at 10:44pm

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2018 at 12:37am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Eric Jansen the PG-13 rated Marvel movies, while not R rated and are not aimed solely at adults, aren't true "all ages" movies. Hence why they are rated PG-13. That being said, I was mainly talking about Marvel's (and now DC's) MA and TV-14 rated streaming and cable TV series like Luke Cage,Iron Fist,Daredevil,Runaways,Cloak & Dagger,and Titans. Then there are the straight to DVD PG-13 and R rated DC and Marvel animated movies which are aimed at teens and adults.

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version