Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3
Topic: Now You Can Make Marvel Comics Without Working For Marvel Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2018 at 2:02am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I agree.  To be considered quality, TV seems to go very mature.  But I can't think of anything in the MCU movies that would really be inappropriate for kids--no nudity, no gore, no acid-burned faces, no F-words, etc.  (Though it's interesting that these things were included in the BARB WIRE, PUNISHER WAR ZONE, THE DARK KNIGHT, and LOGAN movies from other studios.)  I would not show these movies or most of the TV shows to kids, which is a shame.  Making R-rated animated movies featuring super-heroes makes absolutely no sense to me.
Back to Top profile | search

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2018 at 10:54am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I think there have been some really good movies, they are repackaging the older comics mostly, but that doesn't seem to have helped the comics too much back, other than drive the price up on certain back-issues (like Hulk #271 or Marvel Premiere #47). It's a one-way street.

What are comics best at... something visual. What's the most visual... fantasy. The most successful comics are fantasy with a strong visual aspect. It's really about as basic as that. Visual fantasy and adult issues, concerns  and themes are not entirely incompatible, there's a place for a Watchmen obviously, but for the most part visual fantasy lends itself best to lighter (but no less human) drama. We have to realize that a nearly impenetrable barrier of darkness and gloom has surrounded comic shops with the various (maybe graphically detailed) deaths of old and loved (by someone) characters, Dark Knight extremes and all this massive cross-over storyline universe jazz. How about accessible... inviting... approachable... non-pretentious... fun?

I think some are learning that, have learned it, never needed to learn it. The collectable thing was something that came about as a byproduct of people actually reading the comics, they were not made or created or initiated to be collected but to entertain a readership.

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 20 July 2018 at 10:57am
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version