Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum
Topic: Student Protect - Using Cliff-Hanger Endings to Create to Mini-Comics Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2018 at 12:08am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Hi all,

I'm doing a graphic novel project in my day job and need some pages with cliff-hanger endings and thought you people would be able to help me out.

The students I teach are all male, aged between 16 and 18, they have a mild to moderate intellectual disability and come from a low socio-economic, non-English speaking background. Some are quite innocent and others are very streetwise.

Here's what the project is:

Rationale - In this unit, students will explore the comic medium in order to create a graphic novel based on a page they select which features a cliff-hanger ending. Students use the text as a stimulus to create their own graphic novel that resolves the cliff-hanger ending.

They will learn that the different processes involved in creating a graphic novel require a number of specific skill sets and a collaborative approach in order to create the finished product, which is a unique synergy of art and language.

Teaching & Learning Sequence:

Building The Field:

1. Introduction to Graphic Novels

Context:

•What is a graphic novel?

•How did graphic novels evolve?

2. How is a graphic novel put together?

Explain that graphic novels are created through a collaborative process.

Look at the main ways graphic novels are created – Full script verses Marvel Method (Plot, pencils and script).

3. Roles and Creative Process

Examine the different roles that are used within the creation of a graphic novel:

Writer

Penciller

Inker

Letterer

Colourist

Editor

Project Focus

1. Driving Question:
“What Happens Next?"

2. Rationale:
Students will choose a page with a cliffhanger ending from a group of pages supplied to them by comics fans from a number of comic book websites.

They will not be given any context as to what the story is about or how it concludes.

Students will need to resolve this cliffhanger ending to by creating a short four to eight-page story.

3. Process:
To give students an understanding of the collaborative nature of the comic medium, the student will pass their script onto another student to pencil.

The penciller will then pass it back to the writer to add lettering in the form of word balloons, text boxes and sound effects (onomatopoeia), before passing it onto other students to ink and colour.

The students will then collaborate to make a cover that represents a scene from their story.

4. Public Display of Finished Product:
The completed story will be printed in colour and distributed to the class, school and local comic shops.

If you're still with me start postin' those cliff-hangers!

Cheers,

Rod
Back to Top profile | search

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version