Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Captain Marvel: Racist? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2018 at 8:31pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

We had a discussion a while back when DC edited a Golden Age WW tpb to remove racially insensitive caricatures.  Well, now they've taken the next step.  Due to racial concerns, Shazam v. the Monster Society of Evil, an important storyline in the history of comics, will not be published by DC.  The deluxe hardcover has been cancelled, and will not be resolicited.  This smacks to me of trying to erase history and pretend it didn't happen.

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 August 2018 at 8:40pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Just this evening I was enjoying my commercially released copy of COLE BLACK AN' DE SEBBEN DWARFS.....

Oh, wait. No, I wasn't. Because it doesn't exist.

This is, sadly, old news. Warner Bros, DC's parent company, has been whitewashing its history for decades. So has Disney. So has, well, just about everybody.

In an odd way, it's almost a good thing. At least it acknowledges there's a problem.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2018 at 8:46pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Erasing history would have been publishing this with redone panels and the speech patterns of the offensive caricatures relettered as has been done in the past. This is DC, probably wisely, choosing not to publish an offensive work just before debuting the star character in a kid-themed movie all his own. 

There are many Captain Marvel stories DC could publish from the Golden Age that do not dwell on evil Asians or Billy's rubber-lipped valet, Steamboat. 

Why would they erect a lightning rod for criticism in this painfully-overwrought era of political correctness?

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2018 at 9:28pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I had the one with 'Nippo The Nipponese' and some black pearls, and another one with alligator guys kind of like Mr. Tawny only baddies. It's too bad as there were some great moment. Seeing or defending Steamboat like Ebony is a bit hard even though there were similar white big-foot comical sidekicks like Doiby Dickles in Plastic Man etc. At least we were at war with Japan back then, they could explain that in a foreward, so I'm thinking it's Steamboat that would really be keeping them from reprinting.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2018 at 9:54pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Doiby Dickles was the "Green Lantrin's" pal, chauffeuring his buddy around in his cab, Goitrude. Doiby actually got a Silver Age send-off, winding up with an "alien princeress" in Green Lantern #45. Plastic Man's sidekick was the shifty and shiftless Woozy Winks, who was initially protected from all harm courtesy of a magic spell. This soon went away, leaving him simply a semi-crooked, vaguely W.C. Fields-like would-be agent for the F.B.I. 

The idea that any character in a "realistic" super-hero strip could be as comically exaggerated as some of them were (The Spectre's sidekick, Percival Popp, the Super-Cop, is practically an origami folded being from Edwin Abbott's "Flatland.") became passe pretty quickly after the war, taking with them the racially offensive characteristics many had carried. By the time Ebony was removed from the Spirit strip in 1949, he was becoming something of an outdated concept already.  

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2018 at 10:17pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I'm sure I've gotten Woozy and Doiby mixed up before too! :^)

Sorry about that. Woozy was always trying to commit suicide and then i read an article, maybe by Cat Yronwode, that artist Jack Cole succeeded at just that. :^(

I remember they did upgrade 'Chop Chop' in Blackhawk to a normal looking guy at least.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2018 at 10:20pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

It's like the present flap with Apu on THE SIMPSONS.  Some people call him racist, so they stop using him.  Even though Homer is fat, bald, dumb, and "white," he is a caricature that is not considered racist.  Apu is a caricature of someone from another race, so he is racist.  Since you can't fix him, he just gets removed and there's one less Indian character on TV.  (Congratulations.)

Ebony was smart and brave, but because of the way he was drawn, he's a racist caricature.  So, he gets removed from the series or remade in later versions (even as a girl in DC's "New Wave" attempt).  It doesn't matter that black people of the time liked him.

My friend worked in a video rental place in the 80's or 90's.  He says black people rented Disney's "Song of the South" all the time.  But since some people (probably some white people) deemed it offensive, it's thrown in the vault, never to be released again.  So, Disney makes and releases the inoffensive "The Princess and the Frog" instead and nobody cares.

Edited by Eric Jansen on 01 August 2018 at 10:21pm

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2018 at 10:24pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Yeah, when Spielberg and Koepp's "Blackhawk" finally hits theaters, there's another reprint volume DC is going to have trouble with... 

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2018 at 10:33pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Regarding Apu, there's one less servile, bootlicking stereotype onscreen, so yes, congratulations would in fact be due if they stopped using him. Perhaps fewer East Indian children would have to listen to his asinine "Come again!" as they're getting mocked on the playground. F*ck Apu.

Is it your argument that racially offensive stereotypes are in fact good things, Eric? Or just the examples you cite? What should the reaction to a dud movie like "The Princess and the Frog" have been? Immediate commendation simply because of its racial aspects? 

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2018 at 10:52pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

So, white people are the only people who can be caricatured?  Isn't that somewhat racist in and of itself?

Everybody on THE SIMPSONS is a little offensive one way or another, caricaturing different people types.  Should only white characters be on the show?  Then you get people complaining about that.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2018 at 10:52pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Even though Homer is fat, bald, dumb, and "white," he is a caricature that is not considered racist.  Apu is a caricature of someone from another race, so he is racist.

-----

The difference being that no one would characterize Homer as being representative of white people, while Apu is of an ethnicity that at the time received minimal representation and what little representation they did have was stereotypical. I mean, I can recall witnessing at least three East Asian kids mocked with the Apu name or catchphrases whose only similarity to the character was being brown. I can't recall any non-fat, non-bald, non-dumb white kids being teased with Homer.

Edited by Michael Roberts on 01 August 2018 at 10:52pm

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2018 at 11:17pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

A quick Google search shows that a lot of Indian-Americans actually like Apu, and the character is popular in India.  He's considered one of the better people in town, along with Marge and Lisa, and is thought of as a hard worker and good father.  Surprisingly, a lot of the criticism centers on Hank Azaria's version of the stereotypical Indian voice.  (And he's willing to step down from that.)

But, yes, apparently, racist kids use the name "Apu" or the catch phrase "Come again" to insult Indian kids on the playground.  But don't mean kids or racists always find SOMETHING to use?  If we excise Apu from the culture, and dumb white kids start calling Indian kids "Mindy Kaling" or something, do we then have to remove Mindy Kaling from the culture?

How much of this is political correctness and people LOOKING for something to be offended about?

Edited by Eric Jansen on 01 August 2018 at 11:18pm

Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version