Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek << Prev Page of 23 Next >>
Topic: Star Trek: Picard ~ Season 1 SPOILERS begin pg 13 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 April 2020 at 9:49am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Roddenbury's take on the future was fulfilled the moment he tried to shill IDIC tchotchkes in the third season.
Back to Top profile | search

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 April 2020 at 1:43pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

If Gene Roddenberry had been allowed free rein for his vision of the future by networks, it would have involved massive amounts of nudity, casual sex, orgies, etc.  Let alone cursing and violence.  Roddenberry was anything but puritanical.

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 April 2020 at 9:21am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I hadn't previously noticed it, but someone pointed out that they gave a casual and non-fanwank explanation for the TNG Romulan forehead ridges.  Most of the Romulans in Picard didn't have them and were more TOS-ish in appearance.  At one point, though, there was one with the ridges, and one of the others referred to him as an "arrogant Northerner".  Would that they had been that subtle and clever about the Klingons.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 07 April 2020 at 8:31pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Nice!

Brandon Frye
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 April 2020 at 9:25pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

QUOTE:
Most of the Romulans in Picard didn't have them and were more TOS-ish in appearance.  At one point, though, there was one with the ridges, and one of the others referred to him as an "arrogant Northerner".

I hadn't noticed that either. I just assumed their explanation was that there was no explanation. Some have em' some don't. I was okay with that!

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 April 2020 at 9:28pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Then there was the Irish Romulan who said "Feckin"
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 April 2020 at 3:01pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

She was a brilliant character.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2020 at 1:13pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I watched Ep. 10 last night and minus any fan-blogs or podcasts or whatever I enjoyed this series a lot. Granted some of the big SF concepts were only shiny new in the '40s-'50s, but they handled the material well enough (what is a human being/consciousness/a soul).

I guess the weak point to me is the samurai kid... why was he in this at all? Past continuity tied-up I am ignorant of? He goes from unfeelingly (Zah-Zen/Bushido blah-blah yawn) lopping the head off someone in his way in an early scene as an adult to bawling his eyes out about Picard dying (and who comes back right after anyway. Excise the character and did he serve a purpose somewhere? Maybe a Mary-sue for writer/viewers? It didn't help that i am pretty much allergic to all westerners 'exploring' or showing insanely lethal martial arts characters with a dollop of Zen buddhism (they never show this from the backs of the women bent over planting rice year after year while some dudes with giant shoulder pads sit and chant in ice water and whack each other on the back). I have a little training and background in both and I wouldn't write about it anyway remotely like these super-ninja type characters always end up... a total cliche and his being shoe-horned into this detracted/distracted. TMMV as they say. Thankfully they did not spend long segments teaching us about Bushido codes or whatever, it was at least pretty perfunctory. The Romulan Witches Of Karres plus Lovecraft thing too.

Will Patrick Stewart really be up for more than one more season? I'm not sure he was 100% for this first one. There were some fairly wooden delivery at times, of course there were people who said that about most of the actors in TNG, but I am saying this as someone who has followed his progress since I, Claudius without complaint.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2020 at 1:37pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Steve wrote:
Would that they had been that subtle and clever about the Klingons.

They originally were when they took their first stab at it on "Trials and Tribble-ations."  Ira Steven Behr(?) said something along the lines of "we didn't want to do anything silly like genetic engineering or anything like that."  So the simple, beautiful exchange between O'Brien: "THOSE are Klingons?!" and Worf: "We do not discuss it with outsiders" gets the job done perfectly.  The Enterprise creative team, which generally made some smart choices, were misguided in their attempts to make some canonical reason for a change in makeup style.

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2020 at 3:30pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

The Enterprise creative team, which generally made some smart choices, were misguided in their attempts to make some canonical reason for a change in makeup style.
-------------------------------------------
Season 4 of Enterprise was basically fan-fic.  A lot of it was enjoyable fan-fic.  But still fan-fic. 

Daniel Gillotte
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 May 2020 at 8:35am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Finally watched the whole series- I liked it... fine.

It had some wonderful emotion in it and some great acting. The interactions with Trek favorites were all quite good. I loved Will and Deanna and their child. I'm ready for a cooking and wilderness adventure show about them.
The last scenes with Data were really nicely moving.

Overall, I found the Romulan brother/ sister duo tiring.

Annika/ 7 of 9 was great. I liked her much better than how they utilized her on Voyager and I love the idea of space frontier lawpeople a lot.

I think I agree that the samurai was a little bit of a question  mark? Is he a stand-in for Wesley or something? They had some nice scenes with Picard but overall...? 

I'm not sure about Raffi and the captain. They seem like fine actors but I didn't really buy their connection or the connections to Picard very well. And the connections were trumped solidly every time a TNG hero showed up.

I thought Soji and Jurati were interesting characters worthy of further development. Alison Pill is an outstanding emotionally riveting actor. And these two were far more interesting than the other 3 crew members. Frankly, the Romulan friends/ bodyguards/ assistants to Picard at the winery were more interesting than the captain and raffi I think.

I'll watch Season 2. And I'm starting Discovery though I have a REALLY hard time with the way Klingons are portrayed.

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2020 at 5:07pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Anyone yet watch the Red Letter Media review?  I kind of hate that guy but I'll concede that his take on Picard aligned almost exactly with mine.

<< Prev Page of 23 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version