Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek << Prev Page of 23
Topic: Star Trek: Picard ~ Season 1 SPOILERS begin pg 13 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2020 at 12:49pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

"And I'm starting Discovery though I have a REALLY hard time with the way Klingons are portrayed."
Yeah, the creators listened and in Season 2 they take a major step back towards the Klingons we are used to. A character out and out says "I hear that now that the war is over, they're growing their hair out again." Season 1 is good, and Season 2 is even better. Although both seasons had things I would have chosen to change. Strangely, they haven't asked for my input yet.
Back to Top profile | search

Stevie Thomas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2020 at 1:18pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I was thinking the all-powerful beings the synths were communicating with were going to be the Borg, who decided millenia ago that both organic and synthetic life forms are inferior, and only by merging the two do you find perfection.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2020 at 9:16am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I'd read an online theory that I liked much better than the kind of random pile of coincidence they ultimately made - that the Borg were created by the Romulans.  The 'original sin' idea would have made a whole lot of sense with the concept of a secret-secret organization whose only goal is to eliminate AI, and with the stated idea that it's verboten for the Romulans to do cybernetics research.  It would also align with the whole Borg angle on the show, which, right there, went totally undeveloped.

As an aside, given the way the show played out, their fear of AI wasn't entirely ungrounded.  The extra-dimensional electronic chthulu gods were absolutely planning to eliminate all organic life, and had presumably been planning so for millennia.  If the show had been smarter about this, it would have played out the idea of message vs. messenger.  What DO you do about an existential threat like that, and how do you balance it against Federation values?
Back to Top profile | search | www

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2020 at 9:01pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

The extra-dimensional synthetic threat looked to me a lot like smaller baby versions of the planet killer from "The Doomsday Machine".

Kind of puts a whole new twist on the mysterious origins of the machine in the TOS episode, doesn't it?   The ultimate synthetic life -- a total conversion machine that's basically indestructible and nearly unstopabble.   The complete antithesis to sentient organic life.   Maybe one of them managed to slip across dimensions 100 years before...

Sam Karns
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 June 2020 at 12:32am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I hadn't previously noticed it, but someone pointed out that they gave a casual and non-fanwank explanation for the TNG Romulan forehead ridges.  Most of the Romulans in Picard didn't have them and were more TOS-ish in appearance.  At one point, though, there was one with the ridges, and one of the others referred to him as an "arrogant Northerner".  Would that they had been that subtle and clever about the Klingons. 

It was hard for the producers to get out of that rabbit hole when DS9 used Kor, Koloth, and Kang with the ridges in the Dax episode "Blood Oath".  I wish they didn't have those ridges and the teeth; strange thing is I don't believe most fans were anal about the differences and had already accepted the Hemisphere myth.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 23
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version