Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2018 at 4:55pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Thats what I was talking about. 
Back to Top profile | search

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2018 at 8:02pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Y’never know, though. The setup almost seems too obvious. Maybe they’ll surprise us.

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 16 September 2018 at 8:03pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2018 at 9:53pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Well, they did confound my expectations this ep...i was
expecting Hector`s finger to move as Gus left his room.

Michael Arndt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2018 at 4:31pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I thought the same thing, Bill.

Edited by Michael Arndt on 17 September 2018 at 4:31pm

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2018 at 11:44pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

“Something Stupid”.

Fantastic and momentous episode. 

The opening montage is pure genius, and that’s saying something, because this show is the king of TV montages. So much important information is crammed into this short sequence. First, there’s the all-important time-gap, which allows several major plotlines (Jimmy’s suspension, the construction of the superlab, Hector’s recovery) to advance. More importantly, we’re shown in a very blunt and painful way just how and why Jimmy and Kim are drifting apart. Brilliant storytelling, here.

Wonderful setup and payoff with Hector deliberately knocking over the cup so he can check out the nurse, and Gus picking up on it. And what a lovely twist it is to see Gus make certain that Hector is still in there before putting the brakes on his treatment, so as to further torture him.

Very cool to see the beginnings of the superlab. I have the sneaking feeling that Kai is a red herring, and that Mike’s growing friendship with Werner will actually be the cause of his final turn to the dark side.

Major developments on the Saul front, here. Aside from the obvious distance between Jimmy and Kim, we also have Jimmy passive-aggressively taking out his resentment and jealousy on Schweikart at the party. Huell has essentially become his surrogate Kim. Jimmy’s hair is falling out. He’s wearing garishly-colored tracksuits while selling phones to criminals. And he’s now using the Saul Goodman name in connection with his little criminal side business, complete with business cards. 

There’s a lot more of Saul in Odenkirk’s performance, now, but it’s wonderfully subtle. His plan to discredit the cop and get Huell off is very Saul-ish, and Kim’s stunned reaction to it is one of the best moments in the episode. Another great moment is when the opposing counsel lays out for Kim exactly what Jimmy has been up to, and the reality of the situation clearly hits her hard.

...but, she suddenly appears to slip in Giselle St. Clair mode, at the end of the episode. Which is definitely unexpected!

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2018 at 11:45pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/better-call-saul-recap-seas on-4-episode-7-rhea-seehorn-1202942387/

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2018 at 11:45pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

https://ew.com/tv/2018/09/17/better-call-saul-creator-jimmy- saul-goodman-kim/

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2018 at 4:52am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

One of the endearing things about Jimmy and Kim's relationship is that Kim seems to accept the con artist side of Jimmy and places no moral judgment on that. Going back to "Cobbler", when Kim finds out that Jimmy faked the pie video, she didn't really seem offended that he behaved unethically. She was more upset because she thought Jimmy was risking his job at Davis & Main over some silly pro bono case. Kim clearly felt guilty over both her ill-gotten gains with Mesa Verde and her part in Chuck's takedown, but she didn't put that on Jimmy. Even her reaction to Jimmy's admission that he'd been selling burner phones to criminals was more bewilderment rather than judgment.

I can see how her acceptance of Jimmy's dark side might have enabled Saul Goodman to come into being.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2018 at 7:53am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

"Even her reaction to Jimmy's admission that he'd been selling burner phones to criminals was more bewilderment rather than judgment."

My instinct was to be bugged about that. But I faith in the payoff.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2018 at 7:55am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

BTW, as was discussed before, their attention to detail is impeccable - note how Gus' hair is grown out ever so slightly due to the passage of time.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2018 at 7:57am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Appropriately, it feels more and more like we’re moving into BREAKING BAD territory, in that the audience’s expectations and loyalties are being toyed with. It’s like we’re drifting away from “How did Jimmy become Saul?”, and more into “Will Kim get away before he drags her down with him?”.

For all intents and purposes, we’re already seen the origin of Saul Goodman, in that throwaway shot of the business card in the opening montage. Now, it just comes down to Saul getting his law license back and fully committing to the practice of criminal criminal law. 

What is actually being given weight and importance here is the slow and painful death of the relationship that we’re been invested in for four seasons. The beginning of Saul Goodman’s career is almost an afterthought, a mere byproduct of that disintegration, rather than the central focus.

I don’t think anyone was expecting that to be the case, four years ago!

Trevor Krysak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2018 at 8:28am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I expected a fast forward through most of the 10 months of Jimmy's suspension but I don't think I expected it to be done like that. Great way to show us the life and slow death of a relationship as two people become two different people.

Kim is on such a great career track. I doubt Jimmy is going to lead to any great downfall for her. So at this point I just picture her moving onward and upwards and Jimmy going to his eventual exile. I think Kim is potentially going to shift over to a judge position or politics. I think her encounter with Ethan Phillips wasn't just some interesting way to get a good guest star. I think she might get to move into a different aspect of the law. We'll see.

As for Jimmy. He's such a good organizer. He can build a business in months. Or come up with winning ideas for a corporate retreat. Charlie hustle has so many moves left to play. He can show up at their parties but he'll never be a part of that world. Ever. He can see that now.

As we get to the back half of the season I'm to the point where I'd say this is as good or possibly even better than season three. And that's saying something. I can't imagine the last few will be anything but incredible. With the amount of build up this show has given us I know the season will end with a solid payoff.

And hopefully this time next year BCS is winning a few Emmy's instead of missing out due to timing issues

<< Prev Page of 22 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version