Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 22 Next >>
Topic: BETTER CALL SAUL, season 4 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2018 at 9:44am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Though Walter kept insisting to Jessie (and the audience) that Gus was a threat to their lives after that point, I don't believe it. If they had just continued doing their jobs, I think that he would have left them alone. I took it was Walter finding an excuse to try to take over. 
+++++++++

One of the fascinating things about BREAKING BAD is how, at least on first viewing, Cranston’s performance really sucks you in, and so you find yourself believing many of Walt’s lies.

In situation after situation, Walt passionately tries to convince Jesse (and us) that desperate and extreme actions must be taken for the sake of their survival. Killing Tuco, killing Gus, killing Gale, etc. But, when you actually stop and look at the facts, Mike is absolutely right when he tells Walt that he got what he wanted, and should just take “yes” for an answer after Gus kills Victor and tells Walt to get back to work. Mike also is correct in telling Walt that Gus’s operation worked perfectly until Walt came along and blew it all up because he “just had to be the man” to satisfy his pride and his ego. And Walt impulsively kills Mike for it in a fit of rage.

Whether consciously or not, Walt turns Gus’ murder of Victor from a warning into an imminent threat to his and Jesse’s lives, and so they therefore “must” kill Gus. He justifies everything he does in service of his ego.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2018 at 10:15am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

One major clue is the "I will kill your infant daughter" scene. Gus has Walt bound and gagged out in the middle of the desert, and yet he doesn't kill him right then and there - he had Jessie under his wing and had no need for Walt anymore. Gus considers Walt to be a nuisance, but not a threat. Of course, that ended up being a fatal mistake.
Back to Top profile | search

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2018 at 10:54am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Yeah, I kinda get the vibe that Gus wouldn’t go so far as to kill Walt’s kids. He’s ruthless, but not a monster. It seemed more like an attempt to scare him Walt into obeying until Jesse would give the okay to kill Walt.

Walt, on the other hand, poisoned Brock Castillo—an innocent child—as a chess move against Gus.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2018 at 11:01am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Meanwhile, the INSIDER Podcast is up, and gets into the challenges of creating that opening montage. Very interesting stuff.

Upon rewatch, I noticed some very interesting callbacks. The montage begins with Kim and Jimmy brushing their teeth, which is an echo of when their romance really began (with Jimmy sweetly using Kim’s finger to brush his teeth). And, at Schweikart & Cokely, there’s a shot where the camera tilts down beneath the table to show Kim holding a stress ball, which echoes a very similar shot in season two, where the camera tilted down below a HMM table to show Kim playing footsie with Jimmy.

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2018 at 3:46pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

There's now a scene I'm anticipating and dreading, where Kim realizes what is happening to her around Jimmy, and tells him that Chuck was right about him, and that he poisons everyone around him.  And Jimmy dies to be replaced by Saul.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2018 at 4:22pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

That’s very possible.

Also, I found myself wondering about the writers’ positioning of both Kim and Howard, this season. Kim is ascendant, and Howard is descending. Maybe they might meet in the middle. Could it be that the lawyer(s) Saul sends Francesca to are Kim and Howard, now working together? As in Hamlin-Wexler? That would be an interesting payoff to the rocky relationship between Kim and Howard.

By the way, it’s also discussed in the latest INSIDER Podcast just how emotionally-involved the cast and crew are in this show. For them, it’s all about the story, the characters, and emotionally engaging with the audience. And that passion really comes across in the final product. It’s also why both BCS and BB are superior shows, and among the all-time best. They’re not mired in politics or snarky social commentary or race-relations or anything like that. It’s pure storycraft, and it’s brilliant. A bunch of talented, like minds collaborating on something they all really believe in and care about.

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 20 September 2018 at 4:23pm

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 September 2018 at 11:26pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

“Coushatta”.

Oh, man. What a well-earned payoff to the opening of this episode. Kim and Jimmy’s plan is so ridiculous and so elaborate that of course It works. I friggin’ lost it when “Pastor Hanford” discretely requested that the CD labeled “organ music” be played for a convincing background effect. To say nothing of the army of burner phones, all with their own names and backstories. And the dry-erase board with all of the tips to effectively convey convincing stories from the “parishioners” clamoring for Huell’s release.

Also, this. The phone number is real.

In other news, we finally come back to Nacho, and get an brief, insightful glimpse into his inner life. He’s going through the motions as head of the Salamanca operation, but he has an escape plan. And then Lalo Salamanca comes on the scene to make an impossible situation that much harder. Yikes.

And we also have Krazy-8, now serving in the same position which Nacho filled for Hector, but he’s still not yet the brutal drug dealer we met way back in the BREAKING BAD pilot.

Yeah, Werner’s gonna be Mike’s tipping point, I think. You can already see Mike distancing himself, because he’s afraid of what may come. He befriended this guy, and then he screwed up by talking too much. Jonathan Banks brings fantastic subtlety, gravity, and depth to the scene where Mike tells Werner to “turn to Jesus”. 

Of course, the big emotional payoff of this episode—and perhaps even the past few seasons—comes down to Kim. Or, If you prefer, Giselle. I saw it coming. I saw it in the subtle smile on Kim’s face during the Mesa Verde meeting, and I saw it when she pulled the Zafiro Anejo stopper out of her desk. People have been saying that this turnaround was a case of subverting expectations, but I kinda think it’s more the fulfillment of a subplot that’s been brewing throughout the entire series,

Of course Kim likes it. Of course she does. That’s what’s drawn her to Jimmy all along. She has a wild streak which she keeps suppressed 99% of the time. But...scamming with Jimmy is a turn-on for her. Just like it is for him. That’s why they click.

Until now, we were being led to believe that Kim and Jimmy’s relationship was quickly disintegrating. In hindsight, that was just clever misdirection. In hindsight, all of the little clues regarding Kim being dissatisfied with Mesa Verde and her strained relationship with Jimmy make perfect sense. She was just struggling with embracing her true self. Just as Jimmy has been for the entirety of the series.

“Let’s do it again.”

The truly chilling thing about this is that the straight-arrow Kim we see 99% of the time was the one thing holding Jimmy back from embracing his inner conman. If she’s actually going to enable him now, then things are gonna get messy fast.

That being said, the show was indeed leading us to think that Jimmy and Kim were drifting apart. And, when you stop and think about it, that would absolutely have been the best-case scenario. Now, however...now things aren’t looking good at all.

The logical assumption would be that Kim finally breaking bad and willingly engaging in illegal cons with Jimmy will eventually lead to her being disgraced/imprisoned/dead/whatever. But...what if the longstanding joke amongst Odenkirk and the crew wasn’t a joke? What if Saul Goodman really did go home to Kim every night during the BREAKING BAD time period? What if there’s a whole other side to things which we didn’t know about?

It seems unlikely, yes, but you never do know.

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2018 at 2:12am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

But...what if the longstanding joke amongst Odenkirk and the crew wasn’t a joke? What if Saul Goodman really did go home to Kim every night during the BREAKING BAD time period? What if there’s a whole other side to things which we didn’t know about?

That would be mindblowing.

Especially in light of Gene's miserable existence.   Not only can he not be his true self.   He can't be his true self with Kim.   

How long did they say the Sandpiper settlement would take?  Eight to ten years?   There's probably a sizable cheque waiting in escrow for Jimmy McGill and 'Gene' can't do squat to collect it.   Money that Jimmy rightfully earned fair and square versus all of the laundered money he had to deal with in the Saul years. 

Personally, I think Kim makes it to the end of BCS but I bet she required the services of a certain vacuum repair man...  Perhaps Jimmy's first experience with the 'service'.

In hindsight, all of the little clues regarding Kim being dissatisfied with Mesa Verde and her strained relationship with Jimmy make perfect sense. She was just struggling with embracing her true self. Just as Jimmy has been for the entirety of the series.

It puts Kim's reaction to Jimmy's reveal in the last episode in a whole new light, that's for sure.

Yeah, Werner’s gonna be Mike’s tipping point, I think. You can already see Mike distancing himself, because he’s afraid of what may come. He befriended this guy, and then he screwed up by talking too much. Jonathan Banks brings fantastic subtlety, gravity, and depth to the scene where Mike tells Werner to “turn to Jesus”. 

I'm kind of surprised Werner slipped up so soon -- to be fair last episode's time jump really hasn't fully sunk in for me yet.  I think BCS is  done with the slow burn of the first few seasons and it's going to continue ramping up for this season and next (which I think will be the last, just like BB).   I think a perfect way to end BCS would be the last episode taking place during the BB pilot, except we see everything from the perspective of the BCS characters.   A perfect segue into BB and a mobius loop for a show that is both a prequel and a sequel to it's parent.

Trevor Krysak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2018 at 8:24am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

All that work by those men. All those months spent carving out that space. And it all gets torched by Walt and Jesse. I wonder if either of them would have had the slightest inkling of the effort required to get that space put together. Walt was focused on the quality of the equipment. But the labor behind it all likely not so much.

Nacho seems to be set to make his escape. Manitoba might be a bit of an adjustment for him and his pops. Assuming he could convince the old man to give up everything and get the heck out of Albuquerque.

We finally get to meet Lalo and he's definitely not like any Salamanca we've encountered. I could see him working well with Jimmy until things sour later on. I wonder if we'll get a Gus/Lalo scene or two before the season is done.

Hard to believe we only have two more weeks left and then the wait for season five begins.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2018 at 8:34am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

How long did they say the Sandpiper settlement would take?  Eight to ten years?   There's probably a sizable cheque waiting in escrow for Jimmy McGill and 'Gene' can't do squat to collect it.   Money that Jimmy rightfully earned fair and square versus all of the laundered money he had to deal with in the Saul years. 
++++++++

The Sandpiper case and its fallout has been a running thread throughout the entire series, and I’m thinking that it’s gonna eventually pay off, if you’ll pardon the pun.

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 25 September 2018 at 8:41am

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2018 at 8:38am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I think BCS is  done with the slow burn of the first few seasons and it's going to continue ramping up for this season and next (which I think will be the last, just like BB.
+++++++

A lot of people sorta-kinda think of BB’s final season as its sixth season, even though it’s technically supposed to be season five, but broken up into two halves spaced a year apart. So, that could mean a sixth season for BCS in order for both shows to be symmetrical.

I’m already dreading the fact that there are only two episodes left to go, this season!

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2018 at 10:33am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

At least once in BB that I remember, Saul mentions a past wife.  A lot of what came out of Saul's mouth was B.S., but we've seen that some of it, like convincing a woman he was Kevin Costner, was actually true.

<< Prev Page of 22 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version