Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 10 Next >>
Topic: BETTER CALL SAUL, season 4 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2018 at 8:56pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I’ve personally had no doubts that the Omaha scenes take place quite some time—years, even—after BREAKING BAD, but...

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2018 at 11:19pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

An interesting thought, but my take on it given the length of Gene's moustache and the amount of hair he has left is this takes place at least a year after his last appearance on BB.   

Could that overlap with Walt's return in the finale?   Maybe.

I think he's more afraid of what remains of the Cartel and/or Gus's Chilean contacts than Walter.

On another note, there was some interesting symmetry with Gene's "Oh shit, I'm caught" moment with the hospital receptionist over his fake ID and Mike using fake ID to enter that Madrigal facility, where he proceeds to social engineer his way around the place.   Gene's trying to not get noticed and contemplates bolting for the door yet Mike boldly stops to lecture the workers about safe lifting practices.   Pretty much the only LOL-worthy moment in a (required) reflective episode.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2018 at 11:56pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I rewatched the premiere, tonight. Wonderful little detail: Beneke Fabricators was amongst the job postings Jimmy was looking at in the newspaper.

Anyway, everyone keeps saying that Walt and/or Jesse should appear on BCS, at some point. “When” and “how” are the relevant questions. Personally, I think that some unseen moment during Walt’s trip from New Hampshire back to Albuquerque would detract from the story seen in “Felina”. There’s really no reason for Walt to go out of his way to visit Gene/Saul, when his single-minded focus at that point is to gets his money to his kids and kill Jack Welker and his crew.

I rather like Bob Odenkirk’s speculation that maybe Gene learns of Walt’s death on TV (remember, the Heisenberg story became national news and led to a federal manhunt for Walt), and feels hopeful that the heat might now ease off of him just a bit. That he might be able to have an actual life, if the hunt for Heisenberg’s known associates has potentially died down along with Walt. 

I think the another good use of a Walt cameo would be some kind of unseen moment from during BREAKING BAD, when Saul was serving as Walt’s criminal intermediary and council. Or, a completely random moment in a grocery store or whatnot. Mild-mannered high school teacher Walter White (perhaps accompanied by Skyler) walks past Jimmy in a blink-and-you’d-miss-it cameo. That would scratch the itch and be funny.

Whatever Gilligan, Gould, and company come up with, I’m sure it’ll be clever. I think it would need to tie into Jimmy’s story in an organic and meaningful way, OR be a sort of jokey cameo just to have some fun and fanservice without bogging down BCS’ own story.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 August 2018 at 4:50am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I would rather do without the appearances. 
Back to Top profile | search

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 August 2018 at 4:55am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Or, a completely random moment in a grocery store or whatnot. Mild-mannered high school teacher Walter White (perhaps accompanied by Skyler) walks past Jimmy in a blink-and-you’d-miss-it cameo. That would scratch the itch and be funny.

Agreed.   I think the most organic thing would be to have a non-BB character like Kim or Howard encounter Walt in a totally random and fleeting way.   Just like the Beneke ad, it's the subtle glue in the background rather than the overt fanservice that makes BCS so awesome.

Edited by Rob Ocelot on 09 August 2018 at 4:56am

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 August 2018 at 9:15am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Agreed.

Robin Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 August 2018 at 1:01pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I LOVE Better Call Saul. I just finished Season 3 on Canadian Netflix and I can't wait for Season 4

RT
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 August 2018 at 10:41pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

“Breathe”.

An episode full of simmering tension...and several small explosions. 

There’s Jimmy’s job interview and his extra-tough pitch, which gets him the job. Then, he turns it down. This is perhaps a case of Jimmy not wanting to work for people who could so easily be conned...or maybe he just wanted to see if he’s still got his old magic. Perhaps it’s all because he caught sight of that valuable figurine (a callback to season one’s “Alpine Shepherd Boy”) and decided to botch the interview in favor of stealing the figure and making some quick cash. 

We also get a nice, subtle foreshadowing of Saul Goodman’s eventual mullet/combover hairstyle, as Jimmy brushes away a lose strand of hair prior to his interview.

As with the previous episode, Odenkirk doesn’t get a lot to do, but there’s a subtle difference in his performance, now. When Jimmy is happy, he’s too happy, since he’s clearly both coping with his grief yet also just not caring, anymore. When he’s on the muscle (as in the deliberate botching of his interview), there’s an underlying serio-sarcasm and sternness which we haven’t see before. An anger. There have been any number of scenes in BCS where we’ve seen Jimmy try to woo potential clients and whatnot. Scenes where he’d be joking and pitching and conning, but with a certain charm and warmth in his presentation. Now, however, the warmth is gone. And it’s kinda disturbing. Makes me think that the early Saul Goodman whom BCS will inevitably present us with will be less of a comedic character and more twisted and sad than anything else.

Meanwhile, Rhea Seehorn delivers a powerful performance when Kim chews out Howard. Of course, neither of them know that Jimmy set Chuck’s suicide into motion when he revealed Chuck’s mental illness to the insurance company. And it seems we now have a Chekhov’s Gun in the form of Chuck’s letter.

The ending of this one is pretty terrifying. Shades of “Box Cutter”, with Gus very literally taking a hands-on approach in suffocating Arturo in order to send a message to Nacho. There’s even more resonance, since Victor is there, and will of course be similarly killed by Gus to send a message to Walt and Jesse. “From now on, you...are...mine” is absolutely chilling.

Ever since last season, when Hector began planning to make use of Nacho’s father’s business, Michael Mando has done a fabulous job of conveying Nacho’s growing tension—and quiet terror. This episode takes that to new extremes, as Nacho is compelled by the Salamanca cousins to speak encouraging words to Hector about his recovery, and as Gus asserts control over him. This poor guy has been between a rock and a hard place for some time (beginning with his time in Tuco’s crew), but things are really serious, now.

Yeah, there’s been a major tonal shift, here. 

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 August 2018 at 2:05pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

All of this, I have a feeling, is building to, "It wasn't me, it was Ignacio!"

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 August 2018 at 3:17pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Yep.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 August 2018 at 10:55pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Now we,'re getting into full on  Breaking Bad territory - outside of Mike's backstory in Philly, isn't this the first on-screen murder on this show? And like Breaking Bad's mantra, they found another innovative way to kill someone.

Also, maybe I'm misremembering, but is this the first time they've actually shown Kim and Jimmy be intimate?

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 August 2018 at 11:37pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Yes, I do believe Arturo is the first on-screen murder. And it’s very memorable.

And I do believe that was the first real love scene between Jimmy and Kim. Their had their fun at the hotel in season two, and have been living together for awhile, but we’ve never really seen them make out. It’s especially touching, since we know that they’re keeping secrets from each other, and are sort of pretending to be normal and happy while they’re both fraying on the inside.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 August 2018 at 11:38pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

This is a lot of fun.

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 August 2018 at 5:36am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Yes, I do believe Arturo is the first on-screen murder. And it’s very memorable.

And I do believe that was the first real love scene between Jimmy and Kim.

...and I doubt it's a coincidence they both happen in the same episode.   Like BB's "Box Cutter" where the episode title signals both the overt death of a character and covertly a paradigm shift in the character arcs -- stepping outside of the 'boxes' the characters had put themselves into, for both Walt (who pretty much decides in this episode to take Gus down) and for Jesse (where he starts to gain a conscience).   In "Breathe" it's both Arturo's death from asphyxiation and Jimmy and Kim's reluctance to be honest with each other.   Their relationship isn't breathing, so to speak.

edit: not to mention Chuck's death from smoke inhalation which was the official cause of death from the coroner but when Kim wants to stick it to Howard she uses the phrase "burned to death".  Yikes.

Edited by Rob Ocelot on 20 August 2018 at 5:41am

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 August 2018 at 8:12am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

I was fully expecting the show to spend their once-allowed-per-season F-Bomb on Kim tearing Howard down, and was surprised that they didn't.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 August 2018 at 10:08am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/better-call-saul s-mike-teaches-finer-points-security-1135845

Last year’s Los Pollos Hermanos training videos were a lot of fun, and these should prove to be even more so, considering how laconic and grumpy Mike is.

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 August 2018 at 6:50pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

I just about pissed myself laughing with the look that Jonathan Banks had on his face when he said "...or face the consequences".

... and cake pops! (social engineering's legal tender).

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 August 2018 at 10:08pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

“Something Beautiful”.

Fantastic episode. The cold open—with Victor and Tyrus forcing Nacho to be a method actor—is really tense. And the heist (with future Vamonos Pest owner Ira breaking in to steal the Hummel figurine) is also tense, but full of laughs.

Lots of carefully-laid threads being slowly drawn together, in this one. It’s clear that Gus faked the hit on Arturo and Nacho for three reasons: 1) To make use of (and dispose of) Arturo’s corpse; 2) To make Nacho appear to be a loyal Salamanca man who was shot twice in the line of duty by mysterious rivals; 3) To manufacture an imaginary threat in order to get Juan Bolsa to loosen up and allow Gus to seek a drug manufacturer on our side of the border. This all plays into Gus’ master plan, as seen in BREAKING BAD: He slowly creates a situation which allows him to be completely in control of both manufacturing and distribution on his side of the border, and then is free to kill the entire cartel, beginning with his handler, Bolsa, and ending with Eladio and Hector.

This of course, brings us to Gale. I had a feeling he’d be showing up, sooner or later. I also have a feeling that this was just a fun cameo, rather than the beginning of a new subplot. The scene serves a good purpose, though. We see that Gale is testing the purity of meth from various chemists for Gus. And, based on Gus’ dialogue, he’s clearly already thinking ahead of employing Gale in his secret superlab, which BCS season three had established is already under development during this period. Of course, we all know how that turned out, after Gus was convinced by Gale that Walt’s 99.1% pure meth was the way to go.

A wonderful detail which I’ve noticed in the past few episodes: Normally, Kim Wexler’s business-dress ponytail is a force of nature. A neat, bouncy symbol of her professional slickness and efficiency. Lately, however, it’s been loose and limp. Frayed. And her enthusiasm for Mesa Verde’s aggressive expansion is practically non-existent. I got the vibe from season three that she was grappling with a lot of guilt over being handed the Mesa Verde deal at the expense of Chuck’s career...and then his life. I think that was a big factor in her throwing herself into the job so forcefully that she dozed off at the wheel of her car due to lack of sleep and exhaustion. To escape the guilt.

Which brings me to the final scene, as Jimmy reads Chuck’s letter. The undated latter was obviously written prior to all of the nastiness of the past three seasons. Kim’s emotional reaction to it is very interesting. Is she saddened because she watched the disinintegration of the brotherly  relationship described in that letter...or is it because she can’t handle Jimmy’s casual and near-emotionless recitation of the letter? Her struggle to not break down in front of Jimmy is a very touching moment. And his positively blasé reaction to the letter is chilling.

Geez, this show is feeling more and more like BREAKING BAD every week. And I can’t escape a certain feeling of dread, because of that. I’d become very fond of Jimmy McGill’s wacky adventures, during the past three seasons. Now that we’re getting into the dark stuff, I find myself more and more worried about Kim and her eventual fate. Whatever it is. I’ve really become invested in these two as a couple and as partners, and I know beyond all doubt that the other shoe has to drop before BCS ends. The question is just how hard it’ll drop.

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 21 August 2018 at 12:10am

Trevor Krysak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 August 2018 at 11:36pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Greg Kirkman wrote:
This of course, brings us to Gale. I had a feeling he’d be showing up, sooner or later. I also have a feeling that this was just a fun cameo, rather than the beginning of a new subplot.

There's nothing really left of his story. We've got the major beats of the rest of his life already on Breaking Bad. It is nice to see the commitment they have to fleshing out every last bit of the rise of Fring. I imagine before too long we're going to get Gus visiting Hector at the nursing home for the first time to begin the taunting. And we'll get the first ding of a bell we came to know and love on BB.

If/when Bill Burr makes it on the show we're at a point of no return. Considering Bill hosted the recent Breaking Bad 10 year retrospective with the BB cast it's very possible his possible appearance on BCS has been discussed. Whether that's an if or a when we can't say for sure.

Lots of pieces left to fall in place. Meanwhile, I am very curious how things go for Kim. I could see her not making it beyond this season. She seems to be hitting a very rough patch just as Jimmy breezes out of his troubles.

Edited by Trevor Krysak on 20 August 2018 at 11:37pm

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 August 2018 at 12:09am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

There's nothing really left of his story. We've got the major beats of the rest of his life already on Breaking Bad. It is nice to see the commitment they have to fleshing out every last bit of the rise of Fring. I imagine before too long we're going to get Gus visiting Hector at the nursing home for the first time to begin the taunting. And we'll get the first ding of a bell we came to know and love on BB.
+++++++

Exactly. Having Gale appear is just a fun way of tying things together. We already know his story, and Gus won’t employ his services as a meth cook until several years after this episode. Also, I found it a nice twist to learn that Gale was teaching high school classes for awhile, not unlike Walter White.

The thing which fascinates me is that, while it’s fun to watch all of this buildup to events we’ve already seen, the actual story—Nacho’s story—is really fresh and compelling. Sure, we’re getting lots of backstory and depth on familiar characters like Gus, Mike, and Hector, but the drama and tension of BCS’ B-story are really coming down to Nacho. I’ve become quite enamored of the character. It fascinates me that he still has shreds of humanity and conscience, unlike so many of the people surrounding him. He’s put himself in a terrible situation all for the love and honor of his father. He still has a heart. Unlike, say, Victor or Tuco.

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 21 August 2018 at 12:09am

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 August 2018 at 7:50am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Greg, there seems to be a lot of random Chinese symbols
in your recent posts, is anyone else seeing them?
P.S. great thoughts on the show!

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 August 2018 at 8:28am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Random Chinese symbols...? Not seeing anything like that on my end!

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 August 2018 at 12:52pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Strange, they`ve all gone now, and it was only your
posts!

Trevor Krysak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 August 2018 at 4:59pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

David Costabile talks about his appearance last night.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 August 2018 at 11:03pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

An interesting chat with the enchanting Rhea Seehorn. I’m hoping she finally gets an Emmy nod, this season. I have a feeling she’s gonna have a wide range of material to play with, acting-wise.

<< Prev Page of 10 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version