Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 11 Next >>
Topic: BETTER CALL SAUL, season 4 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2018 at 1:03pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Also, I think its important that while Mike took out all of his anger on Mr. Phoney, I don't think that's really what the anger was coming from.  He was gritting his teeth the whole time his daughter in law was talking about moving on and forgetting about Matty.  And we saw in the open that it was Matty that he was thinking about.  Its worth noting that in BB, he never said much of anything about his daughter-in-law.  Just his granddaughter, who is the last piece of Matty he has left.  He had all that cash set up to go to the granddaughter when she turned 18, as if he wanted to make sure that the daughter-in-law didn't get her hands on it.  Mike made some furtive attempts at the beginning of BCS to form the daughter-in-law and granddaughter into a family, before realizing the daughter-in-law was basically using him.  He likely sees her moving on as a betrayal of Matty's memory.  So just like Jimmy is losing, one by one, the things that tether him morally and ethically, so is Mike.
Back to Top profile | search

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2018 at 8:28pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

What Kim is going through could be a healthy thing.  She's been a workaholic since we met her, subordinating everything in her life to her career.  It might be interesting if the writers flip expectations on their head, and instead of Kim meeting some kind of horrible end, she finds fulfillment somewhere else, and just outgrows Jimmy.  Maybe she goes to work for some charitable cause overseas and has a great life.  That would certainly heap a lot more self-loathing on Jimmy's head, and confirm what so many people have already said to him, that he's just a lowlife and not good enough.  And then he decides to just embrace that.
++++++++

Exactly. I can see that happening. That would be the best-case scenario, really. Kim regretfully accepts that Jimmy is fundamentally broken inside, and is becoming toxic. So, she chooses to save herself and do something good with her life, and, as a result, Jimmy embraces his inner sleazebag for good.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2018 at 8:37pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Also, I think its important that while Mike took out all of his anger on Mr. Phoney, I don't think that's really what the anger was coming from.  He was gritting his teeth the whole time his daughter in law was talking about moving on and forgetting about Matty.  And we saw in the open that it was Matty that he was thinking about.  Its worth noting that in BB, he never said much of anything about his daughter-in-law.  Just his granddaughter, who is the last piece of Matty he has left.  He had all that cash set up to go to the granddaughter when she turned 18, as if he wanted to make sure that the daughter-in-law didn't get her hands on it.  Mike made some furtive attempts at the beginning of BCS to form the daughter-in-law and granddaughter into a family, before realizing the daughter-in-law was basically using him.  He likely sees her moving on as a betrayal of Matty's memory.  So just like Jimmy is losing, one by one, the things that tether him morally and ethically, so is Mike.
++++++++

Jonathan Banks’ performance in that scene is amazing. Just watch his face as Stacey talks about not thinking of Matty. The anger, the discomfort. Mike’s clearly stewing in a mix of his own guilt over Matty’s death and genuine rage over Stacey actually beginning to move past it. Because he can’t. It’s eating away at his soul.

I often find myself thinking of how my inevitable rewatch of BREAKING BAD is going to go, once BETTER CALL SAUL is fully in place. Even before BCS, I found the opening of “Buyout” particularly chilling, since Walter White—a father—was engaged in the process of disposing of the corpse of a child, Drew Sharp. Having Mike’s backstory as a guilt-ridden father now added to the mix will make that sequence even more grotesque and disturbing than it already is.

Sort of amazing to think that this whole thing came from an offhanded suggestion by Banks during BREAKING BAD that whatever broke Mike had something to do with his son. This whole BCS plotline has stemmed directly from that one suggestion made by the actor, which wasn’t even directly relevant to the show that he was working on at the time.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2018 at 11:02pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Very interesting Podcast interview with Peter Gould:

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2018 at 4:38pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Michael Mando just did a Reddit AMA. TIL, he’s a Québécois

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 August 2018 at 4:49pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Gilligan and Gould have come up with a trivia code-puzzle as a clue for an upcoming development in BCS, which can be found on BCS’ Facebook page. Something a little bit harder than the “Fring’s Back” episode-title-first-letter-anagram puzzle which fans figured out before the second season was even over.

Hard-working fans have already deciphered this new puzzle, of course. I won’t spoil the result here, but I will say that I’m both pleased and not at all surprised, since this was hinted at back in the third season of BCS. Very cool.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 September 2018 at 9:57pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

“Quite a Ride”.

Three seconds into the teaser, and I knew exactly what I was seeing. Man, oh, man. What a thrill.

After three-and-a-half seasons, the show titled BETTER CALL SAUL has finally—finally—given us Saul Goodman. But not quite how we expected. The opening teaser is a brilliant flashforward (or flashback, depending on your point of view) to a previously-unseen moment, set in-between BREAKING BAD’s “Ozymandias” and “Granite State”, with Saul and Francesca frantically cleaning house as Walt and Saul prepare to go on the lam. All the familiar details are there, right down to the bandage on Saul’s nose where Jesse punched him in “Confessions”. This marks the first time that Bob Odenkirk has played Saul Goodman since “Granite State”, five years ago. So cool. 

There’s also an interesting tease in this teaser, with Saul directing Francesca to tell an as-yet-unknown lawyer that “Jimmy sent you”. Who might this be, I wonder? Kim? Howard? Bill, the ever-wacky prosecutor who appears later in this episode, and is perhaps a defense attorney by the time of BREAKING BAD?

Anyway, this is a fantastic episode, and will no doubt prove to be a vitally important one in terms of where things will end up going.

Of course, aside from the glorious fanservice of the opening scene, the teaser also serves as an important (and pathetic) bookend to the rest of the episode: We see the end of Saul Goodman as he makes the fateful phone call to Ed The Disappearer on one of his many burner phones. The episode then goes back in time to show Jimmy McGill selling burner phones to the criminal element. Saul’s call to Ed depicts the end result of that bad decision from years prior...

...except that Jimmy reconsiders using his talents in this particular endeavor after he’s mugged. Instead of selling untraceable phones to criminals, he sets himself on the path we’ve known from the start that he must embark upon: after his PPD is over and done, he’s going to be a lawyer. But, the way in which Jimmy describes his aspirations clues us in on just what kind of lawyer he’s going to be. He begins by talking about how he’s going to work with Kim, again, bigger and better than before. However, his bitter little rant about how people are going to see him tells the real story. This is definitely a guy who’s broken inside.

And then there’s poor Howard, who’s completely unraveling because of Jimmy’s coldheartedness. That great little scene in the bathroom tips off yet another domino on The Road To Saul: Jimmy sees how badly Howard is doing—even with therapy—and so throws the number Kim gave him in the toilet.

Meanwhile, we get the fun B-plots with Mike screening candidates to discretely build the zuperlab underneath the laundromat, and Kim finding her groove again as a public defender. Great stuff.

But, man, this show is making me legitimately sad. There’s a heavy cloud of tragedy hanging over everything, now. It’s a testament to the talents of everyone involved that what could so easily have been a cash-grab BREAKING BAD spin-off has proven to be so moving and so enthralling on its own terms. They’ve spent three years carefully building up Jimmy McGill and his world, and now they’re demolishing it all. Early on, we all probably thought that we wanted to fast-forward to Saul Goodman and his wacky antics, but now that inevitable conclusion feels like something truly horrible and tragic. Which it is, of course.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 September 2018 at 10:07pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Interview with Odenkirk:

Trevor Krysak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 September 2018 at 8:06am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Chuck really was dead on about Jimmy. He does just corrupt or destroy anything and anyone he comes into contact with. Even Kim has fallen for his schemes on a small scale. She's a strong-willed person so his influence has only reached so far. Howard on the other hand, has been run through the ringer by them McGill boys. Season one Howard seems like such a long time ago.

Good episode. Between the fall of Saul and the behind the scenes of laundry lab being put in place we have another big step to BB. I loved Gus speaking German to the potential engineer of the lab. He suddenly went from hesitant to on board with the job. Only a show like this could make me excited to see how they remove all the debris from their construction.

Greg Kirkman wrote:
There’s also an interesting tease in this teaser, with Saul directing Francesca to tell an as-yet-unknown lawyer that “Jimmy sent you”. Who might this be, I wonder? Kim? Howard? Bill, the ever-wacky prosecutor who appears later in this episode, and is perhaps a defense attorney by the time of BREAKING BAD?

It wouldn't be Kim. They've met and worked together. Howard seems unlikely. Especially if he continues to flame out. We may have another "criminal" lawyer out there for Jimmy to encounter.

Is anyone here reading the AV Club reviews of BCS? Donna Bowman started with BB and often has some really good insights into the episodes. Good place for reviews and occasionally interviews.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 September 2018 at 9:58am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Is anyone here reading the AV Club reviews of BCS? Donna Bowman started with BB and often has some really good insights into the episodes. Good place for reviews and occasionally interviews. 
+++++++

Yep. Great stuff!

And I do think “Tell ‘em Jimmy sent ya” is ambiguous enough that it could mean Kim, although that seems unlikely. We’ll see. There’s also the whole phone call as 3:00 on November 12th thing, which we’ll surely learn more about.

Anyway, on a core level, this show is about Jimmy wanting to show the world who he is and what he’s capable of. He tried to play it straight to impress Chuck, and got nowhere. He tried to be a conman in a tracksuit who sells phones to criminals, and got mugged because his instincts have been dulled. This is a guy who keeps trying to make a name for himself and impress other people, and keeps becoming determined to “show them” after every attempt fails.

If BREAKING BAD was about Walter White slowly coming to embrace his true self, then BETTER CALL SAUL is about Jimmy McGill’s true self constantly derailing his attempts to become who he thinks other people want him to be.

Thomas Woods
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 September 2018 at 10:10pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Great episode
Back to Top profile | search | www

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 September 2018 at 12:27am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Chuck really was dead on about Jimmy. He does just corrupt or destroy anything and anyone he comes into contact with. Even Kim has fallen for his schemes on a small scale. She's a strong-willed person so his influence has only reached so far. 
+++++++

I can see it both ways. There’s a certainly case to be made that Jimmy does indeed corrupt everything and everyone he gets involved with. However, there’s also a case to be made that it’s a self-fulfilling prophecy on Chuck’s part, because his ongoing judgment, jealousy, and deliberate holding back of Jimmy’s career is in many ways what forced Jimmy down the path to Saul Goodman. Sure, he bailed Jimmy out of legal jams and got him a job in the HHM mailroom, but he also balked at Jimmy’s efforts to become a successful lawyer and actively tried to undermine him by telling Hamlin not to give him a job at the firm. His contempt at what he saw as Jimmy mocking his own chosen profession resulted in the sabotage of Jimmy’s honest efforts to make something of himself. Maybe those efforts would have failed, and Jimmy’s conman nature would have asserted itself no matter what. But, because Chuck couldn’t bring himself to give Jimmy a real chance to prove himself, we’ll never know.

Point of view is important on this show, and new pieces of information can radically change our perceptions. Chuck assumed for decades that Jimmy was robbing their father’s store blind. However, we later learned that Jimmy was apparently just taking rare coins from the cash register for safekeeping after he saw that his father was an easy mark for scammers. So, I think the implication is that their father’s business failed because he was a “sheep” who threw money away on conmen and charity cases, but Chuck mistakenly believed that it was because Jimmy had been pilfering the register for years. Remember, Chuck had been jealous of Jimmy being their mother’s favorite ever since childhood, and that surely put a filter over his perceptions of Jimmy’s actions and motivations. Perhaps Chuck saw Jimmy grab a rare coin or two out of the drawer just once or twice, and that planted the seed in his already-jealous head that Jimmy “robbed (their parents) blind” for years.

Maybe—MAYBE—if Chuck had been legitimately supportive of Jimmy’s endeavors beyond what he considered to be an acceptable point (i.e., Chuck supporting Jimmy in becoming a successful lawyer, be it in elder law or otherwise), then Jimmy’s psyche may not have become so damaged as to send him down that path to Saul. Chuck held fast to the idea that Jimmy would inevitably ruin anything he got into. Yet, at the same time, we in the audience were privy to Jimmy’s legitimate efforts to build a straight law practice for himself, in those early episodes.

It’s very much a chicken vs. egg situation, I think. And not exactly clear-cut. Another testament to the quality of the writing, for sure. There’s a lot of depth and ambiguity to these characters, which goes a long way toward making them feel like three-dimensional people. 

Trevor Krysak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 September 2018 at 8:57am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

I'd be willing to buy that if we didn't have Slippin' Jimmy in the rear view mirror. James McGill learned it was possible to grift people, figured out he was good at it and then did it for as long as he possibly could.

Now he can also do good things too. He was a good brother to Chuck in his own way. In spite of Chuck's bad habits and inclinations. But with Jimmy I think it's a continual 49%/51% battle between right and wrong. It just flips over which is which.

He figured out how to do the right thing with the Sand piper stuff but it got muddied up and then his issues with Chuck dragged things back to the bad side. He just can't help himself.

Regardless of how you, me or anyone else sees Jimmy it's great that the show has given us such a complex portrayal of what was originally a mostly one-note comedic character. When the show was announced I doubt dew people figured this could be where we'd end up. Even the creators figured it'd be sitcom-y. It's a huge success that we have all these grey areas and nuance to fuss over.

BCS is my favorite show now that The Americans is over. It's really hit a strong groove the last few years.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 September 2018 at 9:36am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

It’s very much in the BREAKING BAD mold, with good people doing bad things, bad people doing good things, and a lot left open to interpretation.

Perhaps the main subtext of the series is Jimmy constantly trying on new identities rather than embracing who he really is. The question then becomes, “Who is he, really?”. Is Slippin’ Jimmy just another facade? Or is that his true self?

Odenkirk and the showrunners have noted what a thing it is to see both Saul Goodman and Gene in light of Jimmy’s story, since they are such shallow and compartmentalized versions of the Jimmy McGill we’ve come to know during the bulk of BCS. Odenkirk has noted how much fun it was to play Saul, again, but also how much more complex and satisfying Jimmy is to play. 

I must again note what a fascinating bait-and-switch this show has become, not unlike BREAKING BAD. We all thought we wanted to get to Saul ASAP, and now his imminent arrival is something people are fearful of, because Jimmy has proven to be such a likable and complex character. In this new context, Saul has become the polar opposite of the one-dimensional guy we knew on BB. He’s just a sad and horrible mask for a broken man who once had a chance at a good life.

So, how much of Jimmy McGill is left in Saul and/or Gene, and will he ever come out again? There have been some rumblings that future season(s) may take place entirely in Omaha, and continue the story with Gene. 

Trevor Krysak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 September 2018 at 4:59pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

I think focusing on Gene may be a challenge. My biggest concern would be that if they've run through the Saul years the real focus of the series may be gone at that point. Not unlike how Twin Peaks lost its audience after they revealed who killed Laura Palmer. 
It's hard to say for sure.

Perhaps Gene's story leads to something completely different than the day to day grind of a a guy managing a Cinnabon. He obviously wants to get back to some of his old ways. But how far can he go?

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 September 2018 at 5:09pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Kim's client with the drug charge has me hoping she takes on a similar case, allowing for a cameo from Jane Margolis. There'd be a sad symmetry there if Kim helps her get her life back on track and Saul is indirectly involved with its end. Plus more Krysten Ritter is always good.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 September 2018 at 5:21pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Hmm. That could be an interesting intersection, but I feel like Ms Ritter may have aged too much to be able to pull that off - She'd be a 36 year old playing someone in her early 20s.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 September 2018 at 5:31pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Hmm. That could be an interesting intersection, but I feel like Ms Ritter may have aged too much to be able to pull that off - She'd be a 36 year old playing someone in her early 20s.

----

But this show stars Bob Odenkirk playing a guy in his early 40s! :) Besides, to my eyes, Krysten Ritter doesn't look markedly different from how she did nine years ago, and looking slightly older works to her advantage if she's playing Jane while she's still working to get clean.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 September 2018 at 9:37pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Doing the math on this, Jane would be around 22-23 during the “current” time period of BCS (which is 2003-2004, with Jane dying in 2009). I think they could pull it off if they tried. I wouldn’t be surprised if they had something clever like that in mind, although it might seem a little too fannish and world-shrinking. Maybe if she was shown in a montage of different clients Kim was helping. One of those blink-and-you’ll-miss-it cameos that you either notice or don’t depending on how familiar you are with the parent series.

The REALLY weird thing is that, as I type this, my TV is on as background noise. I just tuned it to a random channel, and, lo and behold, friggin’ Krysten Ritter herself is onscreen right now, in CONFESSIONS OF A SHOPAHOLIC. Talk about coincidence!

Some kind of sign, maybe?

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 September 2018 at 9:58pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Or don't show Jane, just show Kim talking to her father about getting his daughter help before its too late.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 September 2018 at 11:52pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Regarding other BREAKING BAD crossovers, it’s been said that we’ll finally be meeting Lalo, this season. Lalo, of course, was mentioned by Saul during his very first appearance. And, judging by Saul’s great relief that Walt and Jesse were not Lalo’s goons, he’s probably a pretty rough customer.

That same scene also gave us the seed for Nacho, since Saul tried to blame whatever got him in trouble with Lalo on “Ignacio”. 

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2018 at 12:39pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Nacho wasn't actually dead during BB tho, right?

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2018 at 12:40pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Not sure if I've mentioned it, but I actually like BCS more than BB. I don't know why and I can't really explain it as both shows are two of the best TV programs ever produced, but I just frikkin' LOVE this show.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2018 at 9:09pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Nacho wasn't actually dead during BB tho, right?
+++++++

There’s plenty of wiggle-room. We know that Lalo must know Nacho, based on Saul trying to throw Nacho under the bus to save himself, and that Lalo’s probably cartel-affiliated. 

Saul may very well be blaming Nacho for whatever he’s in trouble for, even though knows that Nacho is dead. Or, maybe he thinks that Nacho is alive, but he actually isn’t. Or, Nacho is still alive during BB! 

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2018 at 9:30pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Not sure if I've mentioned it, but I actually like BCS more than BB. I don't know why and I can't really explain it as both shows are two of the best TV programs ever produced, but I just frikkin' LOVE this show.
+++++++

Y’know, more and more critics and fans seem to be asking that question: “Is BETTER CALL SAUL BETTER than BREAKING BAD?”, and I think there’s a legitimate basis for asking.

Personally, I still feel that BB is the better show, but BCS has basically reaped the benefits of everything that Gilligan and company learned on BB. BCS is so confident in the established storytelling style of BB that it doesn’t need to fall back on the crime-drama/action/gore that BB executed so masterfully. It’s a more subtle show. An even more leisurely-paced show, and that’s saying something, since BB was “hyperserialized”, as Gilligan calls it. BCS doesn’t have the same sort of high-stakes, adrenaline-rush storytelling and high-concept premise that BB had. It’s more mature, in that way, I suppose. Less theatrical, more docudrama.

A friend of mine recent told me how much he loves the fact that BCS can go for long stretches without dialogue. The storytelling is so clear and so clever that the show doesn’t need to become a parade of talking heads spouting plot-point exposition. The show breathes. It takes its time. And, if you don’t pick everything up on first viewing, multiple rewatches make things clear. The fine details matter, and have been carefully considered at every level of production. A great many seeds have been planted, and I have no doubt that a lot of interesting stuff will click into place when I eventually go back and rewatch the first three seasons. 

As I’ve often noted, BCS made a hearing of the New Mexico Banking Board regarding Mesa Verde’s proposed expansion seem like high drama. Compared to the many life-or-death episodes of BB, the fact that BCS could wring that much drama out of such a pedestrian situation is quite an achievement!

BCS’ bag of tricks is more subtle, more delicate, more refined. Gilligan and his crew absolutely made the right decision to end BB on a high note and then shift gears to BCS. Instead of potentially-stale seasons 6-9 of BB, we’ve seen them carefully reverse-engineer the backstory of BB whilst also creating all-new characters and all-new story which are just as compelling on their own.

<< Prev Page of 11 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version