Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: X-Men 138 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 August 2018 at 10:10pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

There have been comics put together from "clips" of unpublished stories. I remember Roger Stern telling me how they pieced together a Carmine Infantino Avengers story. But they didn't do it as a flashback, but re-drew things, such as substituting Captain Marvel for Yellowjacket.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Larry Gil
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 August 2018 at 4:12am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

"’ve wracked my brain on this, but I can’t think of another issue in any other series that provided such an overview. Does anyone know of a similar issue?"
Avengers 150.."the Ole Order Changeth"
Back to Top profile | search

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 August 2018 at 5:02am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Oh yeah, forgot about that one.

Note that, due to deadline hiccups, Avengers #150 was half new and half reprint, so the back end of that story was pushed to #151.

Ed Aycock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 August 2018 at 8:38am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

We all know that Cyclops left the X-Men  that issue because he is taking a chance on winning a "Toys R Us" shopping spree. 

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 August 2018 at 8:40am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

What about that fill-in issue of CAPTAIN AMERICA Jack Kirby did when Steranko started crowding the deadlines?

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 August 2018 at 1:45pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Captain Britain boasted two such stories just over  two years apart. 'A rag, a bone, a hank of hair...' was published in the first issue of Daredevils magazine in January 1983 bringing readers unfamiliar to the character up to speed. That magazine was ultimately cancelled in November 1983 with CB eventually getting his own title in January 1985. The first story, '''Pictures, Puzzles and Pawns' was another story showing a potted history of the character for new readers  

Jim Petersman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 August 2018 at 5:00pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

This issue was my first X-Men comic book. While I don't remember the details around purchasing this issue, I do know that the title held no appeal to me before buying this. Knowing how little I cared for picking up new titles at that time in my life, I can only guess that I bought it because my weekly haul was very, very light that week.

It did its job and won me over. It wasn't the recap that did it per se, it was the shock of knowing that a main character died - *really* died - and another apparently longstanding character actually quit the team forever due to overwhelming grief.

This was a title that wasn't afraid to shake things up and I, being on the cusp of my teenage years, found that extremely appealing. Days of Future Past only served to seal the deal. If I only knew then...

Samuel P. Barden
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 August 2018 at 7:22pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I read X-Men 138 said to myself, "I have to get 137 issue of X-men!"  I saw X-Men number 1 in Son of Origins and had maybe 6 of the New X-Men.  Amazing Adventures was reprinting the X-Men and my plan was to collect that until I was caught up, but it was canceled.  Issue 138 had the originals there in the present day as well as the flashbacks. I loved seeing them. Also I loved seeing the original X-men with so much black in their original costumes.  The book didn't treat the original X-Men as if they had a lame history.  Everything looked pretty cool and I fell hard for Candy Southern.  I took a long time before I got to read that issue, the X-Men's date night.  And collecting back issues were costly!

It wasn't until the Gitcorp scans when I finally got to see the X-Men"s date night and a couple of Ross Andru issues which are priceless!

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Leigh DJ Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 August 2018 at 5:03am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Looking back, I think that issue was a bit too much on the navel-gazing side. After all, in a rapidly shrinking marketplace, we really needed every issue to be a grab-and-hold affair, which I cannot see in 138.

Remember, every issue is the first issue for somebody, and 22 pages of homework does not make for an enticing first issue!

------------------------------------------------------------ -----------

Sorry JB but as I've mentioned #138 WAS my first issue of X-Men and quite possibly the first time I'd seen your art. I fell in love with the characters and your work on that day. It certainly grabbed and held me!

PS. As I've also said before, when I eventually read back issues and found out that you hadn't done the art on all the previous issues, I was pretty devastated.

Edited by Leigh DJ Hunt on 21 August 2018 at 5:04am

David Schmidt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 August 2018 at 6:59am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

That issue did pretty much the job for me: telling me the X-Men history in such a way I was eager to read it all as I began to read comics with X-Men 134.

And I did.

Of course some of it was a little bit disappointing but I fell in love with the caracters...

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 August 2018 at 8:36am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

While the comparison to TV clip shows might be an apt one, both clip shows and retrospective stories in comics are more likely to turn off the established fan than turn away a new viewer/reader. It is the established fan that will have a sense of "been there, done that." It's "new to you" for the first-time fan.

As many of us have stated here, "Uncanny X-Men" #138 helped get us up to speed on the book's history. And it wasn't a reprint, so even longtime fans could enjoy JB's reinterpretation of the scenes from the older tales.
Back to Top profile | search | www

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 August 2018 at 11:07am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

When I started getting into comics around 1982 or so, "homework" was about the only way to experience expensive classic stories. Since homework mostly took the form of price guides or indexes, an actual issue drawn by a good artist recapping a bunch of issues I'd only heard of was very enticing, and I was quite pleased when CLASSIC X-MEN finally reprinted #138.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version