Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: OT: Goodbye Little Bit Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 September 2018 at 10:40am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

So I made the call this morning to take our dog of the last 16 years in this afternoon and he put down. She’s had some pretty bad arthritis for the past year or so and her ability to control when she pees has gotten worse. Actually, she can control when she pees, her body is just so bent up she has to go all the time and she no longer cares where she goes. About a week ago we started noticing bloody stool around the house which we attributed to one of the other dogs. However, when I got home last night, I realized it was her. She had probably gone 8 times yesterday with varying degrees of blood in it. She had gone numerous times thru the night. She’s already gone 5-6 times this morning and it’s almost all bright red blood. 

We knew we were going to have to make the decision for the past while, and I guess we’ve been putting it off hoping she’d go in her sleep. But with what’s going on now and she’s also not eating today, we haveour  no choice. I know in the end we’re really helping her but it still feels really shitty. I feel like we’re giving her the ultimate punishment for something she can’t help. 

I can’t describe the joy she has brought to our household over the years. We’ve had her longer than our oldest child. She’s very much been like a child to us. I’ve called her the Grande Dame of the House for the past few years and she’s been exactly that. Not afraid to exhibit her place at the top of the chain here but still has plenty of kisses for anyone that wants them. It’s so hard to believe that in five hours, she won’t be part of our family any more. Our oldest is going with me to take her. I know I’m supposed to be the strong one for her but I’ve already lost it many times since last night. I’m having a hard time even typing this. I completely lost it when our youngest said ‘bye to her when leaving for school this morning. I don’t know how I’m going to get thru this. 
Back to Top profile | search

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 September 2018 at 10:47am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Brian, as you stated, you are helping her. Your motivations come from a good place in your heart.

Take care of yourself!

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 September 2018 at 11:04am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Here are some pics of her:

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 September 2018 at 1:35pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

There's few things as sad as losing a pet that's been a long-time member of the family. If a dog is suffering from old age to the extent that they don't want to eat and they've having continuous trouble going to the toilet, putting them down is the kindest thing. You did the right thing, Brian.

16 years is a good age for a dog, but even so, they go so fast. A difference between owning a dog as an adult and having one as a child, I'm finding, is that awareness, almost dread, of the years flying by.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 September 2018 at 4:00pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

That’s the worst thing I’ve ever had to do. I was holding her when they gave her the injections and it was exactly like when she’d fall asleep against my chest when she was a brand new puppy. I was working third shift and I would lay on the couch and fall asleep watching TV and she’d be right there. Every night when our oldest was a baby and was up with illness, Little Bit was right at my side. She was always right there and now she’s not. I still can’t believe she’s gone. I just keep thinking of everything that’s happened in our life since we got her and now she’s not around for any more of it. This hurts so bad.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 September 2018 at 4:01pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Sorry for rambling so much. 

Edited by Brian Miller on 12 September 2018 at 4:01pm

Larry Gil
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 September 2018 at 6:06pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

What a beautiful dog Brian . You did the right thing even though it was heartbreaking . Here's to hoping that someway , somehow we get to reunite with these beloved family members .

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 September 2018 at 6:10pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Thanks, Larry. Thanks, Peter. Thanks, Robbie. 

William Costello
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 September 2018 at 6:20pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Sorry to hear. Our house has had to put down two pets, one cat and one dog, in the 25+ years we've lived here.

Jeffrey Rice
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 September 2018 at 7:52pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Sorry about that Brian. A beautiful friend.

Charles Nelson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 September 2018 at 8:48pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Hey Brian, 
Little Bit looks like a great dog. Very sorry. 

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2018 at 5:19am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Thanks guys. 

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version