Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Byrne Anecdote from the Local Comic Shop Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2018 at 4:09pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I went to the LCS today to get a long box and, while I was waiting for other customers to check out, I flipped through some back issues and found a Doomsday +1 #11 and decided to pick it up even though I know it's a reprint because I don't have much Charlton stuff by JB. Anyway, as I'm paying for it a guy a little bit older than me (I'm 49) commented on the comic I was purchasing and said, "Doomsday +1. Years and years ago, I was at convention and got John Byrne to sign the first issue of that and he said, 'Why would you have me sign THIS?'" I should note he was smiling when he said this and it didn't seem like he meant this as a bad Byrne story, so much as JB insinuating his early work was not very good. He even said after that after we discussed our mutual love of John Byrne comics that he'd had a file of like 30 comics that day and he ended up getting nervous meeting JB and picking the two worst books for him to sign.
Back to Top profile | search

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2018 at 6:39am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Interesting anecdote, Shane, thanks for sharing.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2018 at 7:00am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I don't think there's such a thing as a "worst" book-- most creators have some affection for all of their work. And I've seen creators light up when someone brings them a "deep cut" book from their early days, because THAT person is almost always a long time and devoted fan.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 September 2018 at 7:17am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

The guy telling the story may have been smiling, but he seems to have neglected to mention that I would have been, too!

This is an example pf an all too common way "Big Bad Byrne" stories get started. Tone of voice, inflection, expression, get left out, and something said in jest becomes, well, something else entirely.

Elsewhere, I read a transcription of one of my panels in Toronto. Plenty of errors and snarky comments, but, surprisingly, the "host" actually made the point that I range thru a lot of tones and voices on my panels, something that cannot come across in printed words. One has to depend upon the reader to supply context, and, as I have said many a time, the internet is where context goes to die.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2018 at 9:58am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Indeed, I wouldn't trust the internet to get "... and JB was smiling"... any better than...

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 September 2018 at 10:05am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2018 at 11:01am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

LMAO!

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2018 at 1:51pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Odin!

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2018 at 9:48pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

The way he told the story I definitely got the vibe that you were joking though he never actually said that. It came through in, as you say, in the tone and inflection and facial expression that he was amused that you were joking around with him about the comic he chose to have signed. He did agree with you though that of all the books to have you sign he didn't make the best choice, although I wasn't sure if he meant that from a resell value or what, as Andrew said, there is no worst book when it comes to a fan's love of a certain comic. The other comic he said he got you to sign was  Next Men #1 and I definitely don't agree that would be a "worst" choice, as that's a great comic and art-wise a vast improvement over your earliest Charlton work. 

Edited by Shane Matlock on 14 September 2018 at 10:20pm

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2018 at 9:59pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

If I ever got a chance to have a JB book signed, I'd probably pick Alpha Flight #3 as I think it's one of your best covers ever. 

Wilson Mui
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2018 at 10:34pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Mine would be the Captain America and Batman one-shot.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2018 at 1:35am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Great choice, Wilson. I love that comic. Also loved Darkseid vs. Galactus: The Hunger. JB has done 2 of my 3 favorite DC/Marvel crossovers. My other favorite being the original Superman vs. Spider-Man, the big Treasury sized one circa, I think, 1976. Got it when it came out as a kid. Wish I still had it.

Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version