Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: On original art pages Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2018 at 12:15pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Maybe something worth discussing generally? I'm curious... what's the first page of which comic you ever owned? How much did you pay for it? Ever had pages with anything notable about them in terms unpublished art on the back/margins? Had anything outside the modern standard 10x15" border on roughly 11x17" area? Do you frame what you have; is there anything special about the frame to minimize fading or aging to the paper?

I had a Marvel page I paid $7u.s. for as a first page. It almost wasn[t important to me what I got as I just wanted to see the dimensions work was done at (this is before that over-sized 'Marvel Try-Out' thing was published that would've answered the question). I got a really nice page though, it was the final page from Daredevil #157, a splash of the Ani-men bursting through a window by Gene Colan & Klaus Janson. I noticed like with a lot of pages I would see after that that some of the corners were cut at an angle. I don't know why that is, something to do with how the artists would affix the board (very thin bristol board, heavy paper really) to the drawing surface? I never framed it or anything as is done now, but I did put in the best tabloid sized sleeve they sold at comic shops. Later I got a couple matching Ross Andru Spider-Man pages mail-order but traded them off never having had the original published edition. They were $5 each and mostly talking heads of secondary characters. One seemed to have a large coffee stain, or was it some kind of glue that had gone a bit brown... let's blame the letterist! I've heard some pages come with heavy cigarette smoke aroma, even to the point of making someone a bit nauseous but I can't report anything from what I've ever had.

I was never much into autographs or original art/sketches personally, but I love to see the art in-person when others show it. Maybe I know not to get started into something that will become a 'collection' with a direction to it that would cost a fair bit of money? I have had kind people make copies and stats of things for my education and enjoyment, I was especially curious about 'golden age' pages.

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 20 September 2018 at 12:29pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 September 2018 at 12:33pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

A Russ Heath Sgt Rock page from OUR ARMY AT WAR. Bought circa 1971. Paid $15 for it. Cheap even then. Still have it.
Back to Top profile | search

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2018 at 12:35pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

First piece of comic book art I bought was a color guide from a WildStorm book.
The second was six pages of JB's She-Hulk art.

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2018 at 12:47pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I bought 3 Uncanny X-Men pages from Marc Silvestri for $20 a piece. They're standard page size.

This was right as he was leaving Marvel for Image - 1993, I think.

I have a lot of artwork and it's all in portfolios.

Edited by John Popa on 20 September 2018 at 12:48pm

Jason K Fulton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2018 at 3:13pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

First page I bought was this page from FF#242:

I think I paid about $7,000.00 for it? It was a few years ago.

I've been looking for a page from FF#243, but they just aren't available / for sale. I do have a page from FF#244.

I have everything professionally framed with a white / FF blue double matte, black frame.

Phil Kreisel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2018 at 4:26pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

First (and to this date, the only) page I got was from Ghost Rider #20 (October 1973), drawn by John Byrne and inked by Don Perlin.  Page 6.

Cost - $10.00

I still have it.

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2018 at 4:29pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

This was my first....

How much did you pay for it? 

Ever had pages with anything notable about them in terms unpublished art on the back/margins? 

It's not art, but I find the "title" interesting -- we all know that changed before publication. 

Do you frame what you have; is there anything special about the frame to minimize fading or aging to the paper?

I framed most of the art I own... although I ran out of wall space in my office to hang everything. I always have them use acid free and museum glass.  

BTW the art is not yellow! Just a bad pic (of mine) I found online (I've posted this one before)

Edited by Nathan Greno on 20 September 2018 at 4:39pm

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2018 at 5:00pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

The FF #242 page and Spider-Man: 'Year One' cover are spectacular!

Any Russ Heath would be fascinating; he had such a nice inking style.

I almost forgot a Buck Rogers newspaper sunday original I briefly owned by Murphy Anderson, that must've been the second piece of original art I ever saw or had, but can't say what I'd paid as it came with a lot of other things. I only sold it because someone was fanatical about having it.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Gil Dowling
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2018 at 5:38pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

This is a great question. But unfortunately I cannot remember what the first page of original art I bought was. Hopefully I still own it! 

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2018 at 5:39pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

This is the only page I own from a published comic:

I forget how much I paid for it, but I thought it was good value. No more than a couple of hundred dollars US.

No interesting tidbits in the margins, alas. If memory serves, there isn't anything of note on the back, double alas.

Of course, because of the way this comic was 'shot', it is that rare thing: pencils!

Edited to add: oh, yeah, and as you can see, I have it matted and framed.

Edited by Peter Martin on 20 September 2018 at 5:39pm

Marc Cheek
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 September 2018 at 12:03pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I didn't buy a piece of original art until just 3 or 4 years ago. I think the first was an FF page by Paul Ryan. From what I recall, it was very pricey - maybe $150 or so. I have it framed and a page from JB's FF run framed as well.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rich Marzullo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 September 2018 at 12:19pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

My first pages were from the Tom Lyle Warlock series, my parents bought me a couple of pages from the 4 issue series. I eventually amassed probably 12-15 pages of original art in total, mostly various Adam Warlock pages. Had a nice Frenz Thunderstrike page at one point. Had to sell everything in college when money got tight, which I still have a lot of regrets about. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version