Posted: 09 October 2018 at 7:22pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

We will be fine.

•••

I rest my case.

Back to Top profile | search

Conrad Teves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2018 at 10:15pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

For the interested, here is an interactive map showing sea level rise and the number of people that would be displaced by it in a given country.

[Edited to add]
If completely melted,
The Greenland Ice Sheet by itself would add 7 meters of sea level rise.
The West Antarctic Ice sheet about 3 meters, and the East Antarctic Ice sheet about 60 meters.  

Edited by Conrad Teves on 09 October 2018 at 10:18pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Jabari Lamar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2018 at 10:35pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I used to always think that one of the more unrealistic points in Superman's origin (y'know, beside the whole, "he's an alien from another planet" scenario in the first place) was that a highly advanced civilization like Krypton could blatantly ignore the signs of their planet's destruction until it was too late.

I get it now.

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 October 2018 at 2:17am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Michael Crichton had a book about this whole thing (State of Fear), and even testified to congress about climate models, talking about how Michael Mann's computer model created a hockey stick graph even if fed random data.  There was also climategate where leaked emails proved that climate scientists were cooking the data in order to hide their own inconvenient truths.  (eg. "Hide the decline" in temps). 

========================================================

I read "State of Fear", and just took it like Michael Crichton's other novels, he was giving a sense of verisimilitude to the book as he had done with others to make the whole scenario seem plausible.

It has been a while since I read it, but Crichton in his afterword talked about environmental and wilderness protection, and stated that the reader could review his sources and draw their own conclusions. I don't think he put himself forward as an authority as he finished along the lines of "...this is a work of fiction".

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 October 2018 at 12:08pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

We're not going to be "fine"-- and even the next few generations will be royally screwed-- if we don't take action as quickly and decisively as possible.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 10 October 2018 at 12:26pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

My Dad was writing about environmental pollution in a town planning magazine he edited when I was around 15. For those keeping track, that was more than 50 years ago.

Many of the dire conditions predicted then did NOT, in fact, come to pass -- at least, not to the extent feared. But others, even more dire, then beyond our ability to predict, have made their presence felt.

According to recent stone cold sober reports, if all emissions of greenhouse gases were cut to ZERO starting TODAY, the Earth would continue to warm for 200 years.

Surely nobody's definition of "fine".

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 October 2018 at 1:04pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Our world view is not built to comprehend the ongoing effect of something as large as climate change. But we can use the intellect evolution built into us to push past those biological limitations.

It's true. The impact of so much carbon pushed into the atmosphere will not be mitigated by itself for decades to come, at best. There MIGHT be technology to help, but who's going to pony up billions now to save future generations? That's not good business, you see.

Some will say, "But it hasn't happened yet!"

By the time it is undeniable, even to the most thick-headed denier, it will be far too late. By the time a car has gone through the rails and off the edge of a cliff, it's too late to steer to safety-- and how far are we from the edge right now?

Jabari Lamar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 October 2018 at 2:40pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Just move along, nothing to see here, everything's normal...

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2018 at 12:11am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Hard to believe that some folks are still in denial about climate change when you can actually see major changes in weather and temperature happening.

Jabari Lamar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2018 at 8:40am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

The common argument is that any climate changes that happen are just "natural" changes in the planet's weather that occur on their own, and that humans have zero effect on it.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 October 2018 at 8:43am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

For a long time I was not convinced that humans were directly affecting climate change. After all, the Earth has experienced wild swings in climate without humans even being here.

However, the weight of evidence has simply become too great.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version