Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 2
Topic: New Comics & Back Issues - 10/10/2018 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2018 at 3:40am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Dark Horse:
Joe Golem Occult Detective The Drowning City #2 (Of 5) - Settling in to the art team now...

Quantum Age #3 - The Black Hammer Universe is quickly becoming my favourite comic book universe.

Image:
Hey Kids Comics #3 - This is one of Chaykin's best. The satirical adds from the this issue (Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez) and the previous issue (Jerry Ordway) are a worthy addition.

My Heroes Have Always Been Junkies HC - A standalone that feels like it would fit into Brubaker and Phillips' Criminal series. Not sure if it's a wholly successful story.

Oni Press:
Shadow Roads #4 - This one is just a lot of fun, as we see it's ensemble cast finally all come together.

Edited by Rod Collins on 12 October 2018 at 3:41am
Back to Top profile | search

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2018 at 8:49am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Mr Kane, I kept meaning to read HAWKMAN, but it went off my radar (no reason why).

I haven't gotten to the new issue, Robbie but I have to admit that its a book I enjoy every month. And I'm not even a Bryan Hitch fan! I feel that Carter Hall's job as an archaeologist comes across as very Indiana Jones-ish. 

And after reading the Avengers, I'm done.

Edited by Shawn Kane on 12 October 2018 at 8:50am

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2018 at 1:04pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Indiana Jones-ish, eh? Cool!

I'm catching up on IMMORTAL HULK. That book must be fortnightly. Unless the months are going by really quickly. It feels like it's coming out every 2 week.

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2018 at 1:19pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I'd put a very sharp dividing line between Aaron and Coates, and Bendis. I think Aaron and Coates know how to write coherent stories. Bendis, at best, is hit-and-miss. 

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2018 at 3:01pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

My Heroes Have Always Been Junkies HC - A standalone that feels like it would fit into Brubaker and Phillips' Criminal series. Not sure if it's a wholly successful story.

I thought the story was great but I had major problems with the coloring. After years of seeing Bettie Breitweiser doing wonderful colors for Sean Phillips art, his son's colors just seemed sort of bad and wrong to me. Makes me wonder if her not being on the colors is a political decision since she's been closely associated with Comicsgate, with her husband being one of the group's most well known members. I certainly hope not, because even though I don't agree with a conservative viewpoint, I don't think people should be hired and fired based on their political viewpoint. That is unAmerican. 

Ian David
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2018 at 4:47pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

This week: OBLIVION SONG #8
Dont get to pick up every week so also picked up:
MAGIC ORDER #4
WALK THROUGH HELL #5
Also picked up Doomsday Clock 1 - not as bad as I thought!
Edited due to spelling

Edited by Ian David on 12 October 2018 at 4:48pm

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2018 at 7:11am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

HEY KIDS COMICS #3
OUTPOST ZERO #4
IMPOSSIBLE INC #2
AVENGERS #9
MIKE GRELL LIFE IS DRAWING WITHOUT AN ERASER LTD HC

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 October 2018 at 6:46am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Adam,
Coates has, for my money, proven to be a very boring writer on Black Panther. While his Cap run has been good, it's four issues in and is starting to feel a little drawn out with this story arc. I think Aaron and Bendis are the same type of writer where they fall in love with their own dialogue that they don't write the characters as they have been traditionally written. Captain America and Superman are my two favorite characters so Coates and Bendis have my eternal optimism that they'll keep me interested (plus they have great artists on board). I may wind up dropping Captain America and Superman/Action Comics in the next few months but for right now, I'm satisfied. My problem with Aaron is the same that I had with Bendis on the Avengers: they have to make sure they get all their bits in and the characters often don't "sound" like themselves while they exchange clever conversation. There's a scene with Thor and Iron Man involving sushi while they're fighting Atlanteans that completely took me out of the scene but you just know that Aaron probably thought "This is hilarious!". I had the same issue with his Thor. I think team books are especially bad with Bendis and Aaron. I will buy his Conan with the hopes that he doesn't fall in love with his dialogue and will treat the Cimmerian properly.

Edited by Shawn Kane on 14 October 2018 at 6:47am

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version