Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Oh, Dear.... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 October 2018 at 6:48am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

The problem is that Science, no matter how persistent, cannot break down the walls Believers have built around their brains. After all, they hold the ultimate trump card: God did it!

As I have mentioned before, one of my best friends from high school is a perfectly reasonable chap in most respects, yet he firmly believes fossils were planted by the Devil to deceive us.

Back to Top profile | search

Tony Marin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2018 at 7:42am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I’ve ever only come across one person who believed that dinosaurs coexisted with humans. This was in a restaurant where my mother worked as a chef and it was the end of the night when mum and I would normally talk with the regulars. This lady, after explaining the whole dinosaur thing went on to say women, also, should not be allowed to work and belong at home. Mum, being Croatian, did not keep her cool to say the least. It was an entertaining night.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2018 at 8:09am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Reminds me of Flat Earther`s having a "Global" network!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Andrew Davey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2018 at 11:09am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

...and no matter how much you reason/discuss/argue, they will not be swayed....

...sigh...
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2018 at 11:12am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

There was a Canadian 'conservative' politician, briefly their leader, who was into all that mess, Stockwell Day. The weird thing is that people laughing at his ass probably fed into the whole 'Jesus was persecuted too' b.s.like they are taking one for their team, and this rube is still around... at least to be a talking head on so-called news channels... to provide balance (ha ha ha, "representing in this corner a scientist backed by 10,000 other credentialed scientists, and his opponent in the other corner, representing a family of home-schoolers in North Podunk Manitoba, this guy who won a leadership race once with100% of the vote in his home riding of... North Podunk Manitoba"... yeah 'balance').

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2018 at 11:18am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

On religion (a personal experience):

I've had 3 groups proselyting on my doorstep: Mormon, Jehovah's Witness and Catholic. Okay, the Catholic proselytising wasn't on my doorstep, but it has been attempted by one person!

The Mormons told me that their church is the true church - and that if I sincerely read the BOOK OF MORMON, and prayed, I would receive "validation" (or a word akin to that), proving that.

The Catholic I knew told me that his church was the true church, founded by Peter in Rome. 

And a Jehovah's Witness I spoke to (I've spoken to many, they proselytise constantly) told me that their "New World Translation" is the true book, and that they go solely by what's in the Bible; they dismissed Catholicism and Mormonism.

So that's three faiths all claiming to be the true one.

All religions claim to be the true one. And to add to the confusion, sub-divisions within the faith claim primacy. I'm sure a Methodist would tell me their branch of Christianity is the one to be followed!

Followers of the faiths come in all shapes and sizes (like atheists). I've had positive experiences with people of faith, usually when we're NOT discussion religion. But it's impossible to take religion seriously when EVERY faith, and every sub-division of a faith, is claiming primacy.

Tony Marin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2018 at 2:04am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

For some reason, young American Mormons would come to Australia to spread the “word” for a year or two and they would come in the comic store I use to work in. Always had a good conversation with them, they didn’t seem high strung or pushy. I even got a few of them to buy Preacher more than a couple of times, hehe.

John Mariani
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2018 at 6:12am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Robbie Parry, I have to say I would find it odd if a faith didn't claim primacy. Cos then the argument has to be : well then, why don't you follow the faith that you believe has primacy?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 October 2018 at 9:15am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I think it was Bertand Russell who said they can't all be right, so they must all be wrong.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2018 at 9:24am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

That site is truly impressive in its deep well of nonsense pretending to be science. Seriously, this guy devoted a lot of mental energy to denying reality.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2018 at 12:24pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I already have enough Upanishads, Qur-an, Old & New Testaments, Gnostic Scriptures, Zen And The No Mind, The Icelandic Sagas, Chant And Be Happy and Collected Greek Myths around and am simply not in the market for someone peddling it on the street, at my door or over my phone. There's nobody here to 'save' as far as I'm concerned. I'm always polite and they can go on their superior ways.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2018 at 12:46pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

John Mariani wrote:
Robbie Parry, I have to say I would find it odd if a faith didn't claim primacy. Cos then the argument has to be : well then, why don't you follow the faith that you believe has primacy?

You are right. Of course, it'd be most odd if, say, a Hindu said, "I think Christianity may be the true faith." A Hindu who said that would no doubt convert.

But to an outsider atheist like myself, it's just so odd to see not only different faiths claiming primacy, but "sub-divisions" within a faith claiming primacy.

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version