Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: 2018 Midterm Elections Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2018 at 12:52pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

While Trump love to show off the electoral map and claim a landslide, the 2016 election really came down to 77,000 voters in three states. If those votes in those states had gone the other direction, Clinton would be President. The election was decided by a football stadium's worth of people. All that is required to make sure that Trump is not re-elected is to get people off their asses and vote.
Back to Top profile | search

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2018 at 1:03pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Meanwhile, over in Libertarian Land: http://reason.com/blog/2018/10/31/its-ok-not-to-vote

This annoyed me so much I thought I ought to share the love.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2018 at 1:52pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Brennan, I fail to see how anyone CANNOT see the parallels between the current US and 1930’s Germany. 

Trump wants all Muslims gone. All Latinos gone. Blacks are “too stupid to vote for him.” Women are playthings to him. Unless you’re a white male, preferably a rich one, you are beneath him. His racism is blatant and his ascension to the highest office in the land is a signal that racism is ok and to act upon it is even better. I know he walked back on it later, but when talking about this caravan of people walking thru Mexico to the US, he actually said yesterday that if they throw rocks at our troops, our troops have permission to shoot them. He hoped it didn’t happen, but it would be ok to combat a rock thrower with a machine gun. Just to keep those dirty Mexicans out. He’s deploying 15,000 active troops WITHIN OUR OWN BORDER. What happens when this “emergency “ goes away? What other “emergency” will pop up that requires our active military to be deployed within our borders? With the divisiveness that he keeps stoking, how long will it be before political opposition gets visits from the military? Or even worse these “hometown militias.”

Trevor Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2018 at 2:37pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

"Then worry about 2024, when he might seek an excuse to
“suspend” the elections."

What's sad/scary is that this doesn't seem far-fetched
to me at all.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2018 at 2:46pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I've been saying for years that Trump's plan is:
Discredit the press - check
Discredit the security services - check
Discredit the electoral process - check
Moot removing the two term limit - check
Prep the Amendment 2 brigade - check.

Couple that with increased racism and segregation and you have:
A dangerous man who will not leave regardless of win or lose, will get his supporters in line because he has them disbelieving everything his opponents say, and calling on idiots with guns to protect him as he refuses to leave.

When I first said this I was laughed at. It's looking more and more likely

Brennan Voboril
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2018 at 3:26pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Brian I can't take a comparison of 1930s Nazi Germany and 2016-2018 U.S. seriously because similar things are not happening here.  

You're telling me Trump is going to impose emergency rule?  I don't see it.

When Hitler moved to take power he also moved to eliminate all opposition to his rule.  Hitler banned opposition meetings within a week of him becoming Chancellor in 1933.  There is a healthy opposition to Trump today.  Its meetings are not banned.  Its leaders are not arrested.  There's been no Night of the Long Knives.  

In the 1930s there was a worldwide depression - not so today.

I could go on but little point as we can all read the history of 1930s Germany.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2018 at 5:32pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Brennan, Santayana said that those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it - but he didn't say that it would be an exact repeat. No two events are identical.

Recall that Germany started in... well, Germany. Trump and the Republicans have to consolidate their hold in the U.S. first.

As for most of your other points, all I can say is... YET. Trump's had less than two years to establish his rule. I fear we are in the middle of horrific events that might need to be viewed externally for a proper perspective.

And buddy, don't I ony wish that I'm wrong!

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2018 at 5:35pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I cast my ballot a couple of days ago. Other than the very important gubernatorial, congress and state races there are a couple of serious proposals in my state.
Prop 2- End gerrymandering. As important as anything I can think of to get this democracy thing right.

Prop 3- Make it easier to vote. Automatic registering when renewing license, no restrictions to get an absentee ballot.

Christopher Frost
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2018 at 8:39pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Automatic registration seems like a no-brainer. Here in Canada, we can register to vote when we file our taxes with a simple check of a box on our forms.

As for the election, I fear that the American populace that bothers to vote won't make the smart choice here.

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 November 2018 at 1:18am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

In Canada, we don't have gerrymandering since the election boundaries are drawn by an independent organization (Elections Canada). Is such an organization possible in the US or does each State draw their own boundaries?

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 November 2018 at 6:35am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Yes Neil, each State.
In simple terms ,whichever party controls the state gets to draw the districts up. So you can see the obvious outcomes.

If the prop passes in MI, the Secretary of State will randomly pick 13 registered voters. Four from each major party and 5 unaffiliated voters, to redraw the districts.

Edited by Doug Centers on 04 November 2018 at 6:36am

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 November 2018 at 6:43am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Do any other States have an independent departments that draws election boundaries? It seems so strange that allowing the party in charge to draw the election boundaries is the desired norm. 

Edited by Neil Lindholm on 04 November 2018 at 6:44am

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version