Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 2
Topic: and another mass shooting last night... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 November 2018 at 10:08am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Interesting that he said he wasn't insane and yet his actions and these posts certainly suggest a maniac.

Also, maybe more predictable is the continued link between mass shooters and their previous history of committing domestic violence towards women.
Back to Top profile | search

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 November 2018 at 9:40pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

If only there was something we could do about this, says only country in which this ever happens.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 11 November 2018 at 4:15am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Nice copy of an Onion headline...

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 November 2018 at 10:41am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

The gun fetishists want us to turn back to the Wild West (which was not nearly so wild as people think). If we limit access to firearms, they say, the “bad guys” will still be able to get guns, and we will be at their mercy.

This is akin to arguing that we should make no laws or regulations, since the “bad guys” do what they want anyway.

Statistics show that “good guys” with guns, while occasionally being in the right place at the right time, barely make a dent in the overall death rate. Far more people die than are saved. The “bad guys” do, indeed, get guns—but does that mean we shouldn’t make it really hard for them to do so?

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 November 2018 at 10:47am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

John Byrne wrote:
The gun fetishists want us to turn back to the Wild West (which was not nearly so wild as people think).

I read a book a few years back. I can't recall the title, it may have been something like "How We Got History Wrong". It's purpose was to debunk historical myths.

One chapter, which appeared to be very well researched, put forward the case that Victorian Britain was far more violent than the Wild West.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 November 2018 at 10:54am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

A few weeks ago there was that Pittsburgh synagogue shooting. I know many people from that community. Devastated, they are. What to do? Arm every adult congregant? Definitely not. But right-place/right-time could mean having guards at the entrance of a synagogue. I am, both personally and professionally (I'm a law professor), opposed to the radical reinterpretation of the 2d Amend in recent decades. But as a Jew, I can't say I'm not just a little bit grateful to see the guards in front of the synagogues where I live.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 November 2018 at 10:07pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

How about this?

https://mobile.twitter.com/EricHaywood/status/10619892257745 59233?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1 061989225774559233&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.theskyisc rape.com%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ff%3D5%26t%3D3441%26p%3D1255509%23 p1255509

Good thing there was a good guy there with a gun, huh?

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 November 2018 at 10:37am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Michael P., my heart is twice broken by your observation. Once that guards must be in place to protect the shul and congregants, and once that we have to resort to weapons to protect ourselves. I know that, from generation to generation, we have to defend ourselves to exist... and I know that some religions use gatherings not only to worship and teach and celebrate, but also to plot and plan and scheme attacks.

The real solutions to this situation are so radical that I don't think our society as it now stands could tolerate the adaptations. But... what we ARE tolerating right now may really demand some radical solutions.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 November 2018 at 1:26pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Where will it all end?

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 November 2018 at 4:02pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

The phrase, "arms race" is not a unknown concept. The US had it with Russia and to this day runs its own race against the entire world. We have seen bank robbers outfitted in tactical armor and weapons take on police and overpower them. At what point do the guards stationed at entrances or within buildings become inferior to the assailants? Can't people see several moves ahead to a time when you must raise your children in a war zone?

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version