don't buy it"

I told my girlfriend on our first date, it didn`t bother
her at all. 38 years later, it still doesn`t, in fact
she has actively supported me.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Steve Coates
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 November 2018 at 12:36pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Of all my fallacies, having comicbooks is probably of the least concern by my spouse.

I think the internet/world wide web/inter-web has expanded our peripheral awareness/knowledge considerably.

It is fairly easy to imagine different data streams converging into a node, which can lead onward or into a new direction or even send influenced information back along the stream.

It is a little harder to imagine data streams as interest dispersion, where the less dense focus overlaps or crosses another and cause associations with each other. And I think it is here where most people get their peripheral awareness/knowledge.

I think much of peripheral awareness/knowledge is about joining in and being in the know, so you can feel a part of things where ever people gather and socialize. But very little of it becomes a real hobby or pursuit.

Brandon Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 November 2018 at 1:05pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Not only was Stan Lee's death reported by the mainstream news, his death was actually the top story on some websites yesterday for a while, most notably CNN. 

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 November 2018 at 3:51pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

QUOTE:
Has anyone here honestly had a
significant other/potential suitor lose interest in you
because of your comic book collection? Seriously? I
don't buy it

When we first started dating, my lady read some of my comics, then began actively following BLOOD SYNDICATE, HARDWARE and ICON. I believe she read the first volume of ELFQUEST in one sitting. As time went by, she stopped picking them up because she had less free time and other things she wanted to read more, but even now she will urprise me with tickets to superhero movies she wants us to see together.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 November 2018 at 4:02pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

John Popa wrote:
Has anyone here honestly had a significant other/potential suitor lose interest in you because of your comic book collection?

No. They’ve always understood that was part of who I am. 

Back to Top profile | search

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 November 2018 at 5:04pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I only ever looked down on people or superhero comics if they were sort of psuedo Gary Groth over-intellectualizing about them all the time... this is the attitude behind terms like "graphic novel" and keeping track of the minutia of "conceptual universes" but without say the background of a seasoned science-fiction fan and reader to keep it in context. There is and never was anything wrong with a person enjoying any comic book, nor in it not being written for the level of Tolstoy (and most definitely not where there are primary colored costumes and code names involved). I just feel like a bunch retarded adults who were stuck on superhero comics, only superhero comics, and nothing but superhero comics were not the people to have ego tripping and  making most of them, or running the shops selling them. There is and never was a thing wrong with superheroes, but a lot of the people determined to drag the concept into some kind of pretentious level of 'maturity' must've thought so.

And here we are. Stan called them nutty costumed characters even he couldn't always keep straight and wanted people to have fun and not take these things or themselves all that seriously... I think Stan had it right. Super 'heroes' who kill the villain, like funny animals having sex and swear words galore, were fine for the naughty underground, but for a sustainable arm of publishing with as wide a base of kids as we can get (and maybe keep some as adults)? Now we have restricted adult only yet supposedly mainstream superheroes in movies as well as Marvel comics. Nah, I'd rather buy some old Felix The Cats or Little Archies, and I'm over fifty. How's it working out for you? It's really hard to get it back after you've gone so far down the serious important literature path, but you can still have actual fun and not alienate so many people with the over exaggerated sexuality, violence and pretense of import.

50+ here and loves a good comic book! Not sure about 'lady' but hopefully 'goofy chick' can still apply.

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 13 November 2018 at 5:06pm

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 November 2018 at 8:07pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

John P: Has anyone here honestly had a significant other/potential suitor lose interest in you because of your comic book collection?

---

Never had a problem. 

Comic books were a major "seed" that lead me to a career in visual storytelling (Storyboard Artist and Director positions in the field of animation). I guess I never actually dated another "comic book collector/fan", but anyone I've ever dated seems to get why I'm into it... and embrace it. My wife totally gets it. 

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2018 at 12:29am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Has anyone here honestly had a significant other/potential suitor lose interest in you because of your comic book collection?

Never. Then again, this isn't the 70's and 80's when you would be made fun of or shunned for reading comics if you were above a certain age. I definitely got made fun of for reading comics in middle and high school in the mid 80's, but all of that seemed to turn around once they became a part of popular culture in the 90's. That's not to say I haven't had ex wives that complained about how much I spent on comics. 

Edited by Shane Matlock on 14 November 2018 at 12:29am

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 November 2018 at 9:35am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

…the 70's and 80's when you would be made fun of or shunned for reading comics…

••

In those early days, when the companies didn't send me comps, I used to pick up my own comics from a spinner rack in a drugstore round the corner from my apartment. One day, as I was doing this, an older woman sneered and said "Aren't you a little old for comics?" I flipped open a cover to my credit, pointed to my name, and said "That's me." She stepped away rather huffishly.

Classic moment. Couldn't have been better if I'd staged it!

James Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2018 at 11:25am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

====================================================
Never.

Every girlfriend and wife (on my 2nd marriage) I had never said anything negative about my collection.

Their reactions was from light ("that's cute") to cool ("I collect Archie" or "I like Spider-Man").

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2018 at 12:00pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

One day, as I was doing this, an older woman sneered and said "Aren't you a little old for comics?"

--

I'm glad I never ran across anyone like that, people must've been too polite where I've been. I do remember a couple of kids having parents who forbid comic books.

The one time anything remotely like this happened to me was in comic specialty shop in the early '90s when I asked if they had any Chip N' Dale or Scamp comics and a cluster of guys by the counter snickered about that. The guy behind the counter was great though, I wondered why he tolerated these people hanging around him not buying anything but just yapping about who they'd killed in a role play game the night before. There was a big cut-out of Lobo on the wall which had it been in the window might well have kept me from the place at all.

I also remember a bit in a Fred Hembeck cartoon about being in line at a check-out where a Godzilla comic in his hand caught the eye of some woman in line he'd thought up to then might be 'interested' in him. I guess if he'd had that one Iron Man he might've flipped it to that page of his!

James Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2018 at 12:55pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

This topic just brought back an incident from my youth. In my 7th grade class (in 1977), we had a math teacher named, Mr. Danenfelser(sp).

He was one of those stereotypical straight-laced looking guys. crew-cut, squared-jaw, squared framed glasses, neck-tie wearing guys.Always spoke with authority.

Now that I think about it, he could fit in with one of those old "Comic books are destroying the youth of America", PSA's from the 1950s.

One day, a classmate was caught reading a comic book and Mr Danenfelser abruptly snatched it out his hands and began to rip it apart while saying: "Superman has just been exposed to Kryptonite!"

At that time, I did not realize how much folks from another generation despised comic books.

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version