Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 44 Next >>
Topic: ORVILLE.2 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2019 at 10:15pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

No doubt. They were seeding in references to his homeworld from the start. Subtly enough that it didn’t seem like a big deal, but also subtly enough to make it seem a little...odd...that we were told almost nothing about the planet, or Issac’s background. 

In retrospect, it almost seems like the heavy focus on Bortus and his planet/culture was to distract us from asking about where Issac came from. 

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 22 February 2019 at 10:18pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Paul Lloyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 February 2019 at 4:34am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

If the Watchers can have a computer the size of a planet, why do the Kaylon just coat the surface of theirs?

######################

From what I've read, if you put too much information in a given volume of space, you get a black hole.

Throughout the series I've been imagining the Kaylon homeworld as being a Matrioshka Brain. I was disappointed it wasn't, but then there would have been no mass graves to be discovered. 

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 23 February 2019 at 6:46am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

From what I've read, if you put too much information in a given volume of space, you get a black hole.

•••

I think we may be bumping into the different way scientists use the word “information”.

Back to Top profile | search

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 February 2019 at 9:12am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

After he seemed to lose his touch on Star Trek, Brannon Braga has really delivered with this episode. This was the kind of work he did so well on Star Trek.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 February 2019 at 11:05pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Show has got EPIC now that the Ceylons have appeared.

Was kind of weird to see the Orville just heading into a planetary atmosphere for a landing. Suited the plot, yes, but it seems weird that such a craft would be designed to perform this task and why not send down a shuttle craft like every other time they've visited a planet?

Good episode though and Scott Grimes really does have an amazing voice.

The story did a good job of keeping me guessing the wrong way -- I kept expecting Isaac to come to some kind of emotional realisation and align with the Orville crew, yet he just got more and more bad robot.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 February 2019 at 11:57pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

bad robot
++++++++

Don’t tempt fate by invoking that name!!! If you conjure them up, they’ll consume this show and ruin it! It’s all we have left, man!

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 24 February 2019 at 9:01am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Was kind of weird to see the Orville just heading into a planetary atmosphere for a landing. Suited the plot, yes, but it seems weird that such a craft would be designed to perform this task and why not send down a shuttle craft like every other time they've visited a planet?

••

Watching the episode a second time, I was struck by a number of elements that occurred solely to serve the story, without internal logic. Even something as major as the Kaylon dumping the bodies in those tunnels, instead of properly disposing of them.

Paul Gibney
Byrne Robotics Member.

Posted: 24 February 2019 at 9:11am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I assumed Isaac was in a humanoid design because he was sent to a humanoid ship. Once we saw that ALL Kaylons were humanoid shaped, I knew they had replaced the humans on the planet. Sort of like the dark subtext of the movie Cars. Obviously built for human riders, but no humans around...

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 24 February 2019 at 9:30am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Central Casting Syndrome. THE ORVILLE has done well showing us non-humanoid species, but the constraints of budget and schedule mean most of the aliens we meet are, as on STAR TREK, humans with minor appliances/makeup.

If the show lasts long enough, I'm sure we'll get some "Preservers" race that's been seeding humanoids around the Galaxy.

("Our studies and our beliefs indicate that life on our plant, Earth, evolved independently.")

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 February 2019 at 9:27pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Even something as major as the Kaylon dumping the bodies in those tunnels, instead of properly disposing of them.

Once they killed their former makers, the remains no longer mattered to them.  I would suspect they were moved underground only to give the Kaylons more surface space and less "litter".  A human would have thought to destroy the evidence; a robot doesn't have the emotional ability to care enough to do so.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 25 February 2019 at 2:53am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

It’s not about “evidence,” it’s about resources.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 February 2019 at 9:12am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

"why not send down a shuttle craft like every other time they've visited a planet?"

--

Damn. This one is going to irk me, mainly because it would have been so easy to add a particular reason for the exception. The Kaylon could have just immediately tractor-beamed the Orville after scanning it. Or they could have added a line about the shuttles being unprepared or inoperative-which would have been hokey but at least it would have been something. Some of the other issues with the plot in part 1 could potentially be fleshed out in part 2, but this one seems unlikely. 

added: UNLESS, this ends up being fodder for a court martial for Ed and/or the crew in a later episode. I have the sense that this is all leading up to that, perhaps for the season finale. I've said before that I've started to accept that Ed and the crew are very green and are prone to making mistakes...but this one is a biggie that ultimately lead to the deaths of several crew members.

Edited by Vinny Valenti on 25 February 2019 at 9:26am

<< Prev Page of 44 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version