Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: Spider-Man: The Black Costume Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 December 2018 at 9:29am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

The classic Spider-Man outfit is still the best. 

——-

The red and black one?
Back to Top profile | search

Mario Ribeiro
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 December 2018 at 10:16am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

It was my fourth Spider-Man issue, and I loved it. I felt I was witnessing history.

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 December 2018 at 10:28am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I thought it was cool, but only in the sense that sometimes it's nice with something different for a little while. After just a few issues, I wanted the traditional costume back.

Daniel Gillotte
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 December 2018 at 12:52pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Thought it was WAY COOL as a kid and LOVED drawing it. It's far better than any OTHER new spider-man costume (Iron Spider, I'm looking at you, bug-eyed).

Back to Top profile | search | www

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 December 2018 at 1:27pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I thought it looked sleek, minimalist and -- crucially -- still looked like Spider-Man. It did a smart job of being quite different but still the same, if that makes sense. If forced to choose, I would always have preferred the original, but was happy enough with Spider-Man in the costume at the time. I was happy to go along for the ride. Subconsciously I must have sensed that we'd get the original back eventually.

I actually really enjoyed the way the symbiote story played out (for example, I loved the issue where Spider-Man visits the Baxter Building to take up Reed's offer to study the costume... the symbiote reacting to defend itself once found out, Reed's sonic weapon, Spider-Man having to borrow an old FF costume to go home and the Torch's kick-me sign).

I was still reading comics when Venom appeared, but for some reason I'd stopped collecting Spider-Man titles by that point. Not a fan of Venom and would probably preferred for the symbiote thing to have been properly done in that bell tower, but I can appreciate that it was a reasonably inventive spin-off creation from the pre-existing story strands.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 December 2018 at 1:38pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Like Petter, it was a decent costume and nice change for a few issues but I soon longed for classic Spidey. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 December 2018 at 1:40pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I always liked the black costume, that was right when I started reading comics so I was open to new things.

I also learned my first harsh lesson about speculating related to the black costume - a couple years later Marvel advertised an arc (I think in Web of Spider-Man) that was going to be the 'last appearance of the red and blue costumer FOREVER' and I bought like five copies. I was not able to pay my way through college with those five issues.

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 December 2018 at 2:22pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I was only 13 years old when Spider-Man's black costume made it's debut - so, I was still naive enough to believe these changes were "permanent".  I was not a big Spider-Man fan, and from a design standpoint, I found the new costume to be pretty "cool" so I was happy enough with it.  

The BIG impact of that time for me was She-Hulk replacing the Thing in the Fantastic Four!  It was SO masterfully executed by JB in the pages of FANTASTIC FOUR that older fans who knew better (that such a change would not be permanent) could be forgiven for wanting it to last as long as possible!

Marc

Craig Bogart
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 December 2018 at 3:36pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

It was a jumping off point for me, not because of the design of the costume or the fact of the change itself, but the sci-fi elements of the alien symbiote seemed out of place in the "street level" adventures of Spider-Man.  The flavor was all wrong for me.

I returned for a while when they reverted to the original costume, but the sci fi elements were still dragging around with Venom and Carnage and so forth being prominent characters.  It never felt the same to me.

Colin Ian Campbell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 December 2018 at 5:02pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I liked the look of the black costume, but DeFalco and Frenz were a poor substitute for Stern and JRJR, so I moved on quickly to other stuff.

Edited by Colin Ian Campbell on 04 December 2018 at 5:02pm

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 December 2018 at 5:37pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I remember being really excited about the new costume when I first saw it in the pages of MARVEL AGE...
...and then really disappointed when it debuted and the red parts were all white. 

And I can't stand what eventually became of the suit. I'm not a Venom fan at all.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 December 2018 at 8:01pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I thought it was awesome. Marvel just kept things so interesting all the time. I sort of wished the black costume became part of Spider-Man's wardrobe, like the suits Iron Man used in different adventures. 

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version