Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6
Topic: Spider-Man: The Black Costume Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 December 2018 at 5:15pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

It was always a treat to see JB draw the black costume since it did not happen very often. I'm sure that at this point he's drawn it more often in commissions than in actual comics!

For a while I used this as my desktop background (after quick use of the fill tool):
Back to Top profile | search

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 December 2018 at 6:43pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

The original Red and Blues (or Red and Blacks, if you swing that way) 

-----

In the upcoming sequel to Spider-Man: Homecoming, Spider-Man has a red and black costume. In some of the set photos I've seen, the reflections off the shiny black actually have a bluish cast, so now I have a real-world example of what the blue highlights were meant to portray.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 December 2018 at 6:56pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I still have the black costume Spider-Man figure from the original Secret Wars toyline around here somewhere, but sadly not the shield that came with it.

Would love to see a properly done live action version of it on film someday. The previously mentioned palette changed Spider-Man 3 costume didn't cut it.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Stéphane Garrelie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 December 2018 at 5:15am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

The only time i liked it was in Kraven's Last Hunt. There i even loved it.
The rest of the time?
I don't like it when a character loses his classic costume.
No, i wasn't happy either (at the time) to see Wolverine lose his yellow costume, and i liked the new costume, what i didn't like was that we wouldn't see the yellow one anymore. Oddly enough it took the return of the yellow costume and lot of bad comics with Logan wearing it to make me nostalgic of the... "furry"? "brown"? "Byrnesque" (but for me, the yellow one too, was associated to JB) one. Today i love as much the yellow one (that was in most of the stories of my favorite X-men era -Claremont/Byrne/Austin-) than of the brown/orange, now classic, one (that not only is a cool concept, but is associated only with good stories in my mind.

But we're talking of Spider-man's black costume. The classic red and blue (or black but for me blue) one is beautiful (even more beautiful with blue in it).
The black one is....black.. with a white spider... a b.. a huge white spider on it...not ugly.. or anything else either... but only Mike Zeck made me find it beautiful. I am aware of JB's cover were it is, and that's a nice cover, but that's only one drawing, maybe, even probably, JB's style is one of the things that could have MAYBE made me like it, like Zeck did. Ron Frenz wasn't abble to do that, and Ron Frenz is a very talented artist too.

There's one exception where i loved a new costume more than the original: that's JB's new uniform for the Fantastic Four. That's the exception that confirms the rule. (notice that i also love the Kirby classic blue. I wonder how much my love for the Miracle Man early story, and the fact that later i liked, as a temporary thing, Johnny's red costume, played a part? Was it only aestetic considerations, my taste for the new design? I don't know. Suddenly even the already great art seemed more beautiful because of this new costume. All those blacks & dark blue (and white)  were like a new light.

Obviously Daredevil' red costume is the classic one, the yellow and red one is only a prologue. The... what? Grey...mmm... not really armor..grey and red renforced costume of the 90s always seemed to me to be there only temporarily, and i took it as something that wasn't there to stay. I liked it, as something linked to a storyline.

But Spider-man's black costume and Wolverine furry (i like this maybe more than brown to describe it) seemed there both to stay. (maybe risky that furry thing..mm "brown and fury"? "Brown fur"? mmm "Brown fur and orange tissues"? or maybe velor)

I probaly would have less minded the black costume had i known i would have the red and blue one back.

Edited by Stéphane Garrelie on 07 December 2018 at 6:29am

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 6
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version