Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: New Comics & Back Issues - 12/05/2018 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 December 2018 at 11:00am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Wow.  I don't remember having a week where there is virtually nothing put aside for me at the LCS.  I'll likely not go in until next week.  Here's what's on my list:
  • HARLEYQUINN #55 - Not even for me, but for my son.
Back to Top profile | search

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 December 2018 at 11:49am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Deathstroke #38- Still a solid read but I'm kind of ready to move on.
Shazam #1- I hope this is good.
Doctor Strange #9- Mark Waid has done a nice job with this book.
Uncanny X-Men #4- Not bad but I need emotional investment that I'm not getting yet.
Winter Soldier #1- We'll see how this one goes. It's funny because I feel that Ed Brubaker is the only writer to make this character work but the redemption hook to this book might work.

I'm going to check out the Defenders books but I have a feeling that I'm going to pass.

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 December 2018 at 12:03pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I've been catching up on current titles after ~8 months "off" so I actually have informed opinions of some of these (give or take a month).

BLACKBIRD #3 - solid first issue, even with a mopey lead. We'll see how it goes once the series gets moving. (My main complaint about this series is that every time I see the title, the Beatles singing "Blackbird singing in the dead of night
Take these broken wings and learn to fly" pops into my head.)

DIE #1 - not to be confused with DIE DIE DIE, also published by Image...

WICKED & DIVINE #40 - Kicking off the grand finale. The last storyline was an interesting combination of revelations, and unique methods of showing the passage of time.

LODGER #2 - Solid first issue, aside from the "confusing the heck out of me" part. As we get more of it, I'm sure it'll start making sense.

DEATHSTROKE #38 - interesting choice to take a 6 month break to fight Batman before resuming the ongoing storyline... (I liked the Batman story, but it's a bit jarring where it was located.)

DOOMSDAY CLOCK #8 - The reason I got this series was for the JSA and Legion elements. Those haven't disappointed. And I know it's weird, but I liked them fleshing out Mothman a bit. Meanwhile, Johns is trying too hard to be Alan Moore and doing that thing he does where he does violent stories full of people bemoaning all of the violence that just seems to keep happening "these days". And DC continuity gets more jarring with every glimpse. You have early 80s Celsius (who was killed off 30? years ago) with The New Superman; Pozhar is looking like the "fire elemental" period of Firestorm; KIller Frost in a Justice League comic I just read trying to Do Better but here pretending to be in a conspiracy, etc., etc. Odd.

DEFENDERS IMMORTAL HULK #1
DEFENDERS NAMOR #1 - All these years of "creative disagreements" with Marvel and I'm still a sucker for a random one off "Big Four" Defenders story

CINEMA PURGATORIO #16 - Moore and Ennis do the best with the short story format. The other three features lean more towards the "here's 7 more pages for you". All generally entertaining, but dropping to a quarterly schedule isn't doing their momentum any favors. Just two more to go, which makes me wonder if some of the features are going to have a follow-up in some other form. They don't see all that close to an end to me.

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 December 2018 at 12:13pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Shawn Kane wrote:
Winter Soldier #1- We'll see how this one goes. It's funny because I feel that Ed Brubaker is the only writer to make this character work but the redemption hook to this book might work.

Hopefully filtering out my "Bucky should be dead, darn it!" biases...

The Winter Soldier, as a concept, strikes me as more of a "story" character than a "series" character. I don't mean six issues and done, but rather that there needs to be a clear beginning, middle and end to his story; however long it lasts. (Basically either coming to terms with what happened during his assassin years or realizing that he never can. Once either of those happens, he doesn't really serve a function anymore.)

Marvel simply doesn't do that kind of thing anymore (or if it does, they just bring the guy back in a month or two anyway) which means everything needs to be open-ended and I think the character suffers for it.       

Gundars Berzins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 December 2018 at 3:01pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

MARTIAN MANHUNTER #1
SHAZAM #1

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Rod Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 December 2018 at 5:21am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

DC:
Green Lantern #2 - Liking the police procedural approach, though it does feel as if it's riffing off of Top Ten. Liam Sharp's splash page of Oa is jaw-droppingly beautiful.

Aftershock:
Dark Ark #12 - Landfall and some new surprises.

Dark Horse:
B.P.R.D. The Devil You Know #11 - This issue felt like a reprieve after last issue. The back matter says that it all ends in four issues. Glad to have stuck around for the end, though it has been a fairly arduous journey, at times, in the last few years.
Umbrella Academy Hotel Oblivion #3 - Unfortunately this one didn't ship.

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 December 2018 at 7:20am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Hopefully filtering out my "Bucky should be dead, darn it!" biases...

I have the same bias but I do think that the character is a cool concept and has a good look. I've often thought that Jack Monroe could have been just as easily slipped in but I guess Ed Brubaker always has to make a continuity splash since he was also allowed to retcon a new team of X-Men that all died before the events in Giant Sized X-Men #1. Of course, just par for the course under the Quesada Regime at the time.

William Costello
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 December 2018 at 7:58pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

DC: Deathstroke #38; Green Lantern #2; Shazam #1.
Dark Horse: Umbrella Academy #3.

Robert Kowalewski II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 December 2018 at 9:05pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Doomsday Clock #8 - I'm liking that there's not really any tie ins to this, hopefully it has an actual ending at issue 12.

Star Wars #58 - Luke is extra whiney this issue, I like  it...
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Hogan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 December 2018 at 9:36pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Shazam! #1
Justice League #13
True Believers #1 -- FF #2 (Skrulls)
True Believers #1 -- FF #8 (Puppet Master)
True Believers #1 -- FF #15 (Mad Thinker)
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 December 2018 at 10:31am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

KIller Frost in a Justice League comic I just read trying to Do Better but here pretending to be in a conspiracy, etc., etc.

There's more than one Killer Frost. The one mentioned in DOOMSDAY CLOCK is the original. 

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 December 2018 at 10:36am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

QUOTE:
There's more than one Killer Frost. The one mentioned in DOOMSDAY CLOCK is the original.

Fair enough.

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version