Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: What do get my mom for Christmas? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 December 2018 at 1:12pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Ok, my mom is in her middle 70's.  I don't know what to get her anymore.  She reads but has prime and gets books all the time.  She is not a person to wear jewelry.  Grandchildren and greats are the thing.  So, I am open to suggestions.

Back to Top profile | search

James Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 December 2018 at 1:34pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

John,

You are correct about getting mom holiday gifts.

When my mom reached her 80's, I began to get her house clothing (robes, pajamas, slippers, etc....) and maybe a few hats. She loved hats.

Now that she's 92, it's cards and whatever what is REALLY needed.

Ed Aycock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 December 2018 at 1:43pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I am in the same boat. My mother is 79 and I hope we do not have to downsize but if we do, I am not doing her any favors by getting her more decorative items.   I am thinking more edibles, candles, restaurant gift certificates.  It's tough.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 December 2018 at 2:17pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I like the idea of robes and slippers, I think I could get a matching set for her and dad.  I am still open for suggestions. 

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 December 2018 at 2:38pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Unless you know for a fact that your mother eats out occasionally, I'd say stay away from restaurant gift cards. My parents received one for their anniversary in May. In August, it went to feed five people for one meal instead of 2 to 3 meals apiece for them, because my mother choise to use it that way instead of cooking a family meal one night.

If my parents don't hint at or ask for something specific for presents, we usually go with clothing or something we definitely know they'll use. My mother got winter pajamas sets that came with socks last year, and is getting a Kindle HD this year. (She reads a lot, and her e-reader is trash.) My father is a birdwatchng nut, and is getting a dual battery pack and charger for his camera. The camera was his Christmas present last year, and we also got him a tripod for it that he's barely used.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 December 2018 at 2:39pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Professional photos of your family can be a good gift, particularly if you do not see her in person as often as you would both like.

You could donate to a charity that she cares about. In a role reversal from your story, my mother stopped buying presents for her grandchildren after they were around 10, and instead handed them the World Vision catalogue at our Christmas get together. Each child had a budget to spend on things that their Grandma would then donate to a village in Tanzania. Goats were a popular choice!

You could get her a gift certificate for yard maintenance that she may no longer want to do, or be able to do, herself. Eg., coupon for a landscaping company to come in the spring and hand weed her flower gardens.

Steve Coates
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 December 2018 at 4:42pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Adding to Peter's suggestions, pre-paid spring and fall window cleaning, but you have to do a background check.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 December 2018 at 8:29pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Warm. Buy something warm. Sweaters, socks, slippers... all will be appreciated, because they get cold at that age,

What about a day at a spa? Have some folks take care of her who aren't involved in medicine.

Ray Brady
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 December 2018 at 8:34pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

My father is in his late 70s, and entered his "Don't get me nuthin, save your money, I got everything I need" phase about two decades ago. Our solution is to get him tickets to shows that we're going to be taking him to. We've made a habit of taking him to the Shaw Festival in Niagara-on-the-Lake for the last few years, so a couple of tickets and a hotel booking rounds him out nicely.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 December 2018 at 8:50pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

A Christmas Hamper with fine cheeses and a nice bottle of port.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 December 2018 at 10:54pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

How about theatre/cinema or show tickets? Make some
memories.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 December 2018 at 8:30am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Tickets are nice, but I would give strong consideration to their staying power; can your relative sit through a 2½ play or movie? Or do they have to get up every half hour to move around, take a bathroom trip, or just re-settle themselves?

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version