Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum
Topic: New Comics & Back Issues - 12/12/2018 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 December 2018 at 10:53am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

A few more comics in my file compared to last week:

• AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #11 - Now that I'm caught up, this will be my #1 pick for the week, as I'm really enjoying this run.
  • FANTASTIC FOUR WEDDING SPECIAL #1 - Purely for nostalgia, I'm hoping that they'll go through with this.   
  • MILES MORALES SPIDER-MAN #1 - I got a little perplexed by the last series.  I'll give this one a try, but I'm not sure I'll stick with it this time.   
  • MR AND MRS X #6 - Behind on this series, but it's one of the few X titles that I'm still following, as I've dropped all of the other ones.
  • PETER PARKER SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN#313 - I'm behind on this one, but I will pick it up.
  • TYPHOID FEVER IRON FIST #1 - I haven't read the other two entries yet, but I'll pick it up so that I'll get the whole story.   

What are you getting?
Back to Top profile | search

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 December 2018 at 11:56am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Mage Hero Denied #14- Everything is coming together.
Hawkman #7- Still can't believe that I like a Bryan Hitch book.
Superman #6- I still have no major complaints about this book.
Amazing Spider-Man #11- Ryan Ottley's art makes this book feel like Invincible to me.
Asgardians of the Galaxy #4- I passed on this early but gave the first issue a shot and liked it.
Avengers #11- Let's see where this goes.
Fantastic Four Wedding Special- Hopefully this isn't a gimmick and hopefully someone will draw Ben Grimm properly.
Uncanny X-Men #5- See Avengers.

Gundars Berzins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 December 2018 at 1:22pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

JAMES BOND ORIGIN #4
OBLIVION SONG #10

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

William Costello
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 December 2018 at 8:26pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

DC: Superman #6.
IMAGE: Bitter Root #2; Oblivion Song #10.
MARVEL: Black Panther #7; Fantastic Four Wedding Special #1.

Robert Kowalewski II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 December 2018 at 10:29pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Big week for me, so I haven't read anything yet:

Fantastic Four: The Wedding Special: I liked it, it was a fun little read with the Ben Grimm story being my favorite.
Star Wars: Age of the Republic Darth Maul: Same team that brought us the mini, I liked it but it's apparently a One-Shot... 
SW: Doctor Aphra #27: That droid is going to get her killed one day... ;-)
SW: Han Solo, Imperial Cadet #2: I could probably wait until all the issues are out to read this...
True Believers: Fantastic Four - Molecule Man, Dragon Man & The Super Skrull: Yeah, they're reprints, I may not have reread them yet...
Hey Kids! Comics! #5: The first arc is done, I hope there is a second as I enjoy this book.
Mage: The Hero Denied #14: Penultimate issue, Kevin is not a happy camper right now...
Superman #6
Classic Battlestar Galactica #2: I read the preview and found the first issue with the Simonson reprinted cover, so far I like it and I'll stick around.

Edited by Robert Kowalewski II on 16 December 2018 at 12:21pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 December 2018 at 9:30am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Fantastic Four Wedding Special
Miles Morales:Spider-man

I never though I'd see the day when I
boyght Marvel again and NO DC. I love the
Rebirth Superman but Bendis has put a
bunch of stink all over it.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 December 2018 at 10:21am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Finished up my 2018 catch-up. I get most books via mail order so I won't have opinions on these specific items, but my thoughts going in:

Cemetary Beach #4 - They run, they world build, they run, they world build, they run, they world build...

Hey Kids Comics #5 - Wishing I hadn't let morbid curiosity won this round. Just not really up for Chaykin-ized "Douchebag Stan Lee." That aside, I wish he had done this a year at a time rather than doing the jumps. I get confused and it doesn't feel like much happens, all at once. I DO love the covers, at least.    

Mage: Hero Denied #14 - This series has been what you'd expect it to be (that's a good thing). I came in at Hero Defined (or rather a smidge before when I was picking Grendel back issues and got to #16-19) so for me it's "only" been a 20 year wait, but it's still weird to be this close to the finish line.    

Avengers #11 - umm, it's okay. I'm pretty much over "here's the REAL story" type stories in Marvel these days since they rarely work with what's been established, the new "status quo" isn't more interesting than what they replaced and the reveals never stick anyway when fans of the older material take the reigns, so the Celestial arc left me a bit cold. I do like the line-up (even Ghost Rider) and the second story line has been more appealing so far (poor Stingray...). I do hope we'll get past this need to stick the Avengers in a new HQ though. Just put them back in the mansion and be done with it. You know you want to.

Defenders - Doctor Strange, Silver Surfer - the Defenders fan within lingers

Fantastic Four Wedding Special - Not a big fan of these kinds of specials (you have a main book, use it), but Simone has her moments so what the heck.

Also dropped by the LCS to pick up some Spider-Man related stuff:

Amazing Spider-Man #6-11 - flipping through #1 got me to pick it up; picking up #1 led me to deciding to get #2-5. Finally reading #2-5 last weekend got me to catch up with what's come out since then. We'll see how it goes. Aside from giving Brand New Day a shot (meh), Amazing hasn't been on my pull list since the preview of Sins Past scared me away. That was after an unbroken run from #257-508 and sometimes I still miss it.    

Spectacular Spider-Man #313 - picked up Zdarsky's last issue (#310) on a whim. Liked that enough to get the rest of them. Realized they were cancelling the book with #313, which triggered the completionism instinct so here we are.

Spider-Girls #1-3 - just read through the Houser run on Renew Your Vows, which this partly serves as the coda for. RYV wasn't the "Married Spider-Man" book I wanted, but there were elements that grew on me by the end, so I'm opting to get the last sliver of it. It'll be nice to see Mayday again, too,

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 December 2018 at 10:56am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

CEMETERY BEACH #4 - It certainly moves quickly, but I really don't have much interest in what's going on.  Probably dropping.

THE EMPTY MAN #2 - Cool horror stuff from Cullen Bunn.

VAMPIRONICA #5 - This is/was an enjoyable book but this feels like a tacked on ending to get the series done.  

I also picked up the MARVELS trade, which I hadn't read in years and enjoyed it as much as ever.  (My actual comics collection is a couple hours away.)  

Edited by John Popa on 15 December 2018 at 10:56am

Rod Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 December 2018 at 8:45pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

DC:
Batman Damned #2 (Of 3) - The art is beautiful, but the story is still not grabbing me.
Batman Who Laughs #1 (Of 6) - Batsh*t crazy!

Marvel:
Fantastic Four Wedding Special #1 - Anal retentive fanboy's heads will explode at the looseness of continuity in the first story. Mark Buckingham does a wonderful Ben Grimm, giving him a very Kirbyeque look and Slott's story has a clever, but dark, twist at it's end

Archie:
Vampironica #5 - The first - and maybe only - arc wrapped up nicely. This one is up there Afterlife and Chilling Adventures in terms of quality.

Dark Horse:
Black Hammer Cthu-Louise #1 - Carrie meets Lovecraft in charming and disturbing ways.
Hellboy Winter Special 2018 - A coda of sorts to BRPD Vampire, Stenbeck drawing Hellboy and a fun Lobster Johnson story by Zonjic make for an enjoyable holiday special.
Joe Golem Occult Detective The Drowning City #4 (Of 5) - Change is afoot.
Quantum Age #5 - This one blew my mind! If you're buying the main book, you really need to be picking this one up too.

Image:
Cemetery Beach #4 (Of 7) - A short, sharp adrenaline rush.
Hey Kids Comics #5 (Of 5) - Clever satire that's up there with Chaykin's best.

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 December 2018 at 11:08am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Rod, 

Without giving too much away - I missed/skipped DC's METAL event - so, if I wanted to give THE BATMAN WHO LAUGHS a try, would I be totally lost??

Marc

Rod Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 December 2018 at 4:07am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Marc,There's enough to fill you in without having read Metal. If you've read any of Snyder's Batman work then you have an idea of what you're in for.

Edited to fix typo.

Edited by Rod Collins on 18 December 2018 at 3:00am

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 December 2018 at 6:50am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I'm pretty much over "here's the REAL story" type stories in Marvel these days since they rarely work with what's been established

I just wish they would come out and say that current continuity is changed. One of the guys at my LCS has called it New 52 Marvel since Secret Wars. Honestly with the way the current writers write the characters, he's more on the money than Marvel cares to admit.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version