Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum
Topic: Marvel 2019 "Year-In-A-Box" Desk Calendar Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2018 at 12:22pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Received this as a "Secret Santa" gift at work. Clearly, Marvel is favoring their Movie and TV properties with this. It features daily pages with characters and descriptions of their powers and history mixed in with various landmark covers. 

A few things to note: no X-Men or Fantastic Four members are featured. So, it seems the Fox characters haven't been brought into the licensing fold. 

That said, there is an introduction page that mentions how Stan loved alliterative names, and they list Reed Richards, Sue Storm, Doctor Doom, Scott Summers, Warren Worthington, and the Silver Surfer among the examples (though, as a Fox character, the Surfer doesn't appear in the calendar, either. Same for Doom).

They also make a reference to the omniverse/alternate realities, and state the characters within are on Earth 616, or the "Prime Reality". Bleh.  

The Inhumans are all over it. Daredevil, Power-Man, Iron Fist. Of course, Iron Man, Hulk, Captain America, Thor, Hawkeye, Black Widow, Black Panther, Ultron, Ant-Man, Wasp, Dr. Strange, Valkire, Loki, Hela,Thanos, Dormammu, The Red Skull, Baron Zemo, Arnim Zola, Doctor Octopus, Ghost Rider...

All very classic images. From the ealry 60's to the late 80's. The most recent character and drawings are of Venom (because Marvel and Sony are cool, now, I guess) and Rocket Raccoon. None of the other movie Guardians seemed to have made the cut. 

Maybe it's because people love animals...or animal-looking beings, anyway. Lockjaw is featured quite often. Or could that have to do with at the time the calendar was being made, they perhaps thought The Inhumans were going to be the Next Big Thing? Oops. 

Also featured prominently: She-Hulk, Spider-Woman, The Enchantress, Nova, and MODOK. I see the first two on a lot of newer licensing...makes me wonder what the plans for the characters are.

Who'd have thought we'd get to the point where we see a Marvel calendar without the Thing or Wolverine...but with Karnak??

Also missing: Captain Marvel. Any version. No Mar-Vell, no Monique Rambeaux, no Carol Danvers, (No Billy Batson).  Seems odd, as this is a 2019 calendar and that's supposed to be her year. But I guess they were going "vintage", but also didn't want to confuse things with any of the others. Yet, Thanos has several "days"...(because he is the Big Bad of the MCU).

It's film and TV "favorites" represented by artwork that predates any of the movies or shows by decades. But, that's kinda been Marvel's jam for the last ten years, I guess. 

Some gorgeous stuff in there, though. 

Edited by Brian Rhodes on 28 December 2018 at 7:38pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Bert Kruger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2018 at 2:43pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Yeah I just saw/read that Marvel/Disney is still 6 months away from acquiring the X-Men and FF rights.
I'm surprised to hear that no Captain Marvel either considering a movie will be out soon
Back to Top profile | search

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2018 at 7:18pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Weird, I read that the Fox deal coud be
finished as early as end of January.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2018 at 7:24pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

But the Skrulls are in the CAPTAIN MARVEL movie.  I thought for sure they were connected to the FF rights.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2018 at 8:25pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I'd say it's hard to argue that Skrulls are exclusively part of the FF canon when the Kree-Skrull war was in the pages of the Avengers nearly 50 years ago. Therefore, I'd suppose that the Skrulls could be used by Fox or Marvel, in the same way as Quicksilver was considered to both connected to the X-Men rights and still available for use by Marvel as an Avenger.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2018 at 8:47pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I'd say it's hard to argue that Skrulls are exclusively part of the FF canon when the Kree-Skrull war was in the pages of the Avengers nearly 50 years ago. Therefore, I'd suppose that the Skrulls could be used by Fox or Marvel, in the same way as Quicksilver was considered to both connected to the X-Men rights and still available for use by Marvel as an Avenger.

——

As I recall from an interview, both Marvel and Fox had rights to the Skrulls, but specific characters like Super-Skrull fell under Fox’s FF rights. There was a similar situation with the Watchers and Uatu. 

The Fox rights have nothing to do with Marvel’s merchandise licensing beyond Marvel going through a period where they didn’t want to promote the characters that Fox owned. FF and X-Men have been slowly returning to video games, toys, and apparel for the last year and a half or so. 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version