Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5
Topic: Time to scream Get off my lawn to character reinterpretations Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2019 at 8:00pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Eric Sofer wrote:
This new stuff is just another universe to me.

Yeah, I'm finding the only way I can "enjoy the ride" for any Big Two book nowadays is to think of the new series as adaptations of the "true Marvel" rather than continuations.
Back to Top profile | search

Joseph Greathouse
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2019 at 8:02pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I was born in '74. So my prime reading years were 1984 to 1993. Secret Wars and OHOTMU were really my draw. If I started making demands, I think if be hung by my toenails. That said, that's really why I have a lot of flexibility to those who enjoy whatever came after me.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2019 at 8:02pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Whoever that guy was in Sword of Aquaman.

———

Duuuuude, I had successfully excised that guy from my memory and you had to go and ruin that. 

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2019 at 8:24pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I am a unrepentant bastard, Michael. Ask anyone. :-)

Edited by Brian Hague on 10 January 2019 at 8:27pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 January 2019 at 12:29am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

This thread was about changes to characters, not an excuse to have a pop @ new characters. Brian, as ever, has written with elocance to explain that difference.

Yes, turning straight characters gay all of a sudden is a problem. 

Increasing the number of female writers, ethnic writers, minority writers (however you define these) & characters that fit these descriptions is not a problem. That these characters talk about their situations is not a problem, & it shouldn’t be a problem, even if they are a derivative character (except that I don’t like derivative characters as it deuniques a character - but that’s a separate issue)

What is a problem is when an established character suddenly, with no previous indication, does a 180, or, through a series of managed manipulations, ends up in a situation where they do a 180 but it doesn’t look like a 180.

Look, don’t bemoan females writing about female issues. Women put up with a lot of crap - that we men just don’t realise. Even when we say we do, we don’t. They are even losing all their safe spaces through ‘self identification’ - concentrate on that, not on ‘have you seen this new female character? How come she manages to solve everything?’ Erm, because she’s the star of the book/film.

But Cyclops should still have never got together with Emma Frost

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 January 2019 at 2:37am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Cyclops and Emma and the Scott-Jean-Logan love triangle were both bad ideas. As I said before, Logan's feelings for Jean should have been one-sided.

Edited by Brian Floyd on 11 January 2019 at 2:38am

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 January 2019 at 5:49am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I remember when I got it in to comics it was about reading about my favourite superheroes taking on my favourite super villains every month. Now...ugh...

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 January 2019 at 6:01am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Eric, whatever you're worried is going to happen has already taken place. The romance between the two is spoken of in the past tense in Dark Wolverine #4 from 2010.

Okay, thanks.  That brings up a new question--does anyone really care what happened in DARK WOLVERINE?  Or, rather, do such important changes to a character really count if we only read about them in somebody else's book, by a creative team that has nothing to do with said character?

I've been checking in with the FF for at least the last nine years and I've seen nothing of this Daken "relationship" in Johnny's home series.  I had to dig a little bit to find mention of it on the Internet and see any panels.

The thing with Bobby/Iceman is a little different--it was done by his main writer at the time, in a high profile series.  And also, even after all these years, Bobby was sort of a blank slate, especially romantically.  I think he's had two girlfriends in that time and I can't recall seeing him even kiss them.  (However, in the movies--where most people know him from now--he DID have a high profile romance with Rogue, didn't he?  And something with Kitty too.)

Edited by Eric Jansen on 11 January 2019 at 6:02am

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 January 2019 at 6:29am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

No change counts as long as subsequent writers just ignore it. Just forget about it and job's a good un

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 January 2019 at 7:46am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

No change counts as long as subsequent writers just ignore it. Just forget about it and job's a good un

••

One writer I know has often said it doesn't matter what we do, "they can always change it."

Unfortunately, that's an attitude of a bygone era. Today, with anal fanboys controlling so much of the product, at production and consumption levels, things tend to get carved in stone that really shouldn't. (Ask Barbara Gordon. Ask Scott Summers.)

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2019 at 7:38pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Well, Barbara Gordon has been back as Batgirl since 2011, though it's still canonical that she got shot. (She got better via some sort of super-tech.)

With Scott...yeah I don't know what can be done to fix him. At least he's not dead anymore (death and life really are a revolving door for X-Men characters, more than any other superheroes I can think of).

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2019 at 10:33pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Yeah, I'm finding the only way I can "enjoy the ride" for any Big Two book nowadays is to think of the new series as adaptations of the "true Marvel" rather than continuations.

As one of the guys at my LCS says "Marvel just needs to acknowledge that they've basically done a New 52."

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 5
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version